Tuesday, June 19, 2007

ELO, Part Two - The early rockin' years, on The Midnight Special.

In the mid-70s, ELO was a much more guitar oriented rock band, before they moved over to the softer stuff on great late records like Out Of The Blue. I love that stuff too, but this early stuff has a charm all it's own. They were so multidimensional, with all the different classical instruments, as well as the guitar. Here's one called Do Ya. This was one of the first ones I fell for. The sound on these videos isn't the best, but you get the picture.



Here's a great one called Rockaria.



How's about that guitar? Their mix of classical/Rock hybrid really hit me hard back then, setting me up to be blown away by groups like Yes and Pink Floyd. Somethin' about those Brits, and their classical training in school. Was that Mushy hittin' those high notes in that perm? Naaaaaa!

This next one is called Showdown. I love the way Jeff Lynne sings this one, and his lyrics generally. Amazing genius. All of their classic elements are here on display. The guitar part isn't great. Passable, but ya can't have everything.



And finally, about the rockinest tune I think they ever did, and the one that really turned me and most of the planet onto these folks. Covering Chuck Berry is so much a part of Rock and Roll, whole careers have been made from it, but this is special. That dude on the violin is kickin' ass. Loved the shit out of this back then, blarin' out of the Jensen 6x9s in the old Hornet.



Pfew, that was fun. I hope you liked it as much as I did. Later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

FHB,
Man. I'd forgotten about them doing Roll Over Beethoven. How come you never hear that on Oldies radio? Great stuff.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

I suppose my favorite of theirs is Showdown, but the best part was seeing Wolfman Jack at the end!

The second one is no longer available...check out!

BRUNO said...

Mushy can take care of The Friday Blues, and YOU can do The Monday Metal Review...!

Might hafta give "the Mush" a hand, after he "re-surgery's"....!

FHB said...

Fixed it, but how long it lasts who knows? Love that one.

phlegmfatale said...

Love ELO - have a cd of their hits in my car at all times. Sounds particularly good on Highway 7 in the Ozarks. *heaven*