Wednesday, June 20, 2007

" It seems to me that I could live my life, a lot better than I think I am. "

That's what I was thinkin' when I got home from a long day at about 10:30 last night, turned on this thing and saw that one of those ELO vids was messed up. No tellin' how long that thing'd been flashin' "NOPE" at everybody, probably all friggin' day long. Well, maybe these will work better.

I'm still feelin' musical, and I was thinkin' about Bruno's comment about Metal Mondays. Well, I've never been much into thrash, but I LOVE a great power trio, and here's one of the best ever, as you probably well know.

It's amazing to think that after all these years, these three guys; bassist, keyboardist, and singer Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson, and drummer Neil Peart, are still going strong, and it's still just the three of them. They're still doin' the same thing they did when I grew to love them in the '70s and early '80s, only grown better with age. Love the hell out of that. Hope to do it myself.

Here's one called La Villa Strangiato, from a gig in 1979, when I was a senior in high school. I used to think that these long instrumental things they did were their best music. Sit back and enjoy the Rush.



Here's another instrumental called YYZ, filmed a few years ago in Rio.



And here's their signature bit, Working Man, originally from their debut album in '74, but this time from their 30th anniversary tour in 2004. Not sure what the tumbling driers are supposed to symbolize, but the boys are makin' a glorious noise. Give a listen.



Ok, I've got some great stuff lined up for my next musical post, but you're not gonna believe what it is. Most of you will probably turn your nose up at it and walk away, but there's nothin' I can do about that. I love it to death. We'll have to wait and see. Maybe in a few days, or next week.

13 comments:

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Woo-hoo, that was a blast! Thank you, my man - look forward to more..

Anonymous said...

I liked those Rush clips. ELO kicks ass, too.

Anonymous said...

ELO...ahhh..the days of Olivia Newton John roller skating, and or course- ridin the short yellow bus to school....

Yeah..complete rush for me.
*winks


callie

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

The driers? Tennis shoes and tennis balls rolling to the same beat...must be where they go inspiration!

I downloaded the 1st and 3rd tonight off LimeWire!

david mcmahon said...

G'day FHB,

Thanks for treating us to that musical extravaganza. ELO - that was Electric Light Orchestra, wasn't it?

Great stuff, mate

Cheers

David

FHB said...

Shrinker - Glad you loved it babe. My neighbors probably got to hear them all several times in the wee hours last night while I was working on the post. That first vid particularly, just blows me away.

LBB - Hey, thanks for coming out of seclusion. I've missed your stuff.

Anon - Oh God, don't remind me of that. Some things are best left in the past.

Mushy - Yep, those two are my favs too. Need to find those DVDs, somehow.

David - Yep, Electric Light Orchestra. Been listening to Out Of The Blue in the car, along with other stuff, and have it on my brain.

FHB said...

And how about that drum set? is he a nut or what?

FHB said...

Oow, Callie, I didn't see your name down there. Thanks for comin' by.

phlegmfatale said...

My first introduction to Rush was 2112 and Spirit of Radio - both on vinyl of course. Great stuff, and this is also brilliant driving music.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Dude, Ron and I are checking out your tunes and having a big time at his house!

Mushy

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Ron said for you to check out the latest Rush "Snakes & Arrows" CD!

BRUNO said...

Turn-up my nose and walk away? NO WAY!!!

Well, unless you start goin' with Beethovens' "movements"! In which case, I'll take my cooler, a fine cigar, and go the "throne of royals" and produce my OWN movement...!

FHB said...

Phlemmy - Yep, I've got it in the car too. Love it.

Mushy - You know how much I wanna be there. Glad you and Ron liked it. And I'll check that one out. The last one I have of theirs is an EP called Feedback, with a few old covers that they started out doing in shows early on. They do an absolutely kick ass version of Crossroads.

Bruno - You pegged it man. Goin' classical next time, but it won't last. I'll be back to rockin' soon enough.