Friday, February 29, 2008

Friday stuff.

First of all, I read this morning that Prince Harry has been in Afghanistan, tryin' his damnest to be a regular soldier and cast off some of the crap associated with bein' a "Royal". The Drudge Report outed him after he was there for a while, and now he's being flown home and told not to visit his normal pubs and clubs for fear of some Muslim wacko with a bomb who might want to get him for serving in the war. Shades of Mountbatten being blown up by the Provos back in the '80s.



I tell ya, I have a HUGE amount of respect for his desire to shake off the privilege and go through what every other soldier has had to go through, and it sucks that he's not being allowed to finish it. I mean, I know why they want to protect him, but still, here's a royal with a pair. Why not let him scratch 'em?

While I was looking at that story I found something else in the British news. If you like Stephen Fry, check this out and enjoy.

Anyway, you guys remember that student I told you about a few weeks ago. I’d just started a new semester and an older soldier came to me after class when everyone else had left the room and told me he’d been in special ed classes all his life and was gonna try to do as well as he could in his first college class. Well, he made a 104 on his first exam (out of a possible 110). I tell ya, I love this job. That guy’s gonna be fine. I can see the confidence growin’ in him now. He’s gonna go far.

I’ve got another interesting dude in one of my evening government classes. This guys is another older soldier. He says he’s been a cop (MP) for 25 years and “he’s tired of being on Jerry Springer all the time”, having to deal with bizarre domestic situations, and he wants to get a college degree so he can get a better job. I see this all the time too.

Lots of older soldiers start to take college classes just before they get out, wanting to get better jobs in the civilian world. Most of the time they are like both of these guys… they haven’t been in school since high school and they may have some worries about how well they’re gonna do.

Anyway, we were talking about the Bill of Rights last night. When we got to the criminal procedure amendments (4th to 8th) this guy started to contribute some fascinating and hilarious stuff from his real life experience as a cop. He gave us some real life details about things like the Exclusionary Rule and the Miranda Rule. We found out during the discussion of all that that he’s a member of the motorcycle guard (I think they’re called the Patriot Guard) that goes to funerals to protect grieving families from protesters who show up at funerals to celebrate the deaths of soldiers who have been killed in Iraq or Afghanistan.

He deals with that issue both as an MP, dealing with protesters who try to get permits to demonstrate on the base, and as a guard at the funerals. He insinuated that the only thing keeping these protesters alive is the police showing up to stand between the protesters and the bikers. One student didn’t understand what he meant by that, which opened an opportunity for me to bust out with something I saw on a t-shirt once… Some people are alive only because it’s illegal to kill them. We only made it through the 5th amendment last night, so we’ll have more fun Tuesday night with the rest. Again, I love this job.

I went by the Hospitality office yesterday after getting out of my lunchtime classes and ended up getting drafted to go bowling today. They had a CTC charity bowl at a local place, Bowlarama, and the Ft. Hood campus team was needing one player. One of their guys had to drop out needing to get some sort of school business done. So I cut out of my 11:30 class early, tellin' the kids I had to go bowlin' (you know that brought about a laugh - I assured them it was an official CTC function), jetted over to the lanes, donned those special shoes and tried to keep it between the gutters.

I broke 100 in each of the three games, scoring about a 375 in all. Thing is, there was free beer being distributed, paid for by my boss, and he kept toppin' off my glass. There's no tellin' how much I drank (Coors Light), but I was really feelin' it by the end of the third game. Denise came by and watch after work and was givin' me looks, but I drove home OK. She tried to get her office to set up a team for the tournament but no one wanted to play.

I was supposed to head over to Temple to get Dad tonight, but apparently he's had a bad day. My sister called during the bowling tourney to tell me that he'd gotten lost out at the VA and wandered around for hours today before someone found him and got him back to my mom. He goes there to work out in a supervised program a few times a week. I guess he's gotten so loopy that he shouldn't be left to wander by himself. As a result of all that both Mom and Dad are too tired to do anything today, so maybe we'll get together tomorrow.

If everything is OK tomorrow, I'll head over there and we’ll hit a bucket of balls and then belly up to the buffet one more time. Mom forgot to make the appointment with the psychic for today, so she now says she’d gonna call today and schedule one for next week. When all the hocus pocus goes down, I’ll be sure and keep you fully informed. Maybe the lady will come across with some hot stock tips. Fingers crossed. Denise and I will probably head over to BJs again, and then maybe take in another movie. We both want to see The Other Boleyn Girl. Just checked though and No Country For Old Men is finally in our theater, since winning the awards. I read the book and have been dyin' to see it, so maybe we will.

This weekend could prove to be interesting. The annual Wilson family reunion is Sunday. I’ll be going over to get dad as usual, but this time Denise is gonna go with us. I told her I wanted her to come. Most of those people probably think I’m queer, having never seen me with a girlfriend before, so it’ll be fun to see the look on their faces. Should be fun.

Anyway, see ya later. Have a great weekend. Cheers.

13 comments:

GUYK said...

It is good to hear that there are some older guys still going to college...and even better that you welcome them

I went back for my history degree after I retired in 1983. There was two other retired AIr Force guys there that were also majoring in History and poly sci..we managed to give the left wing professors hell..especially over the lies they were teaching about Vietnam...we had some of that first hand experience that they could not refute.

Jerry in Texas said...

That's great that those guys are going back to school to better their lives.

I wanna talk to you after you see No Country For Old Men. Especially since you read the book.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

It's killing me about you dad...partly for you and your mom, but also because I know I face that with my mom in the coming years.

It's such an unfair way to go out, especially after having lived such a vital life.

Anonymous said...

After 21 years in The Air Force, and being retired for another 20, I am thinking about going and taking a couple of courses just to see if this old brain can still function in a class environment. I bet it can. We will see.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i lost respect for drudge this time!

smiles, bee

PRH said...

I'm sure coming home a War Hero, Harry will have no problem getting a few dates....not that he would have anyway, but he'll be fighting them off with a stick now.

Lin said...

Harry seems to have the best sense of humor of them all - hate to see him get outed like that while trying to have a real life.

VERY sorry to hear that dad is starting to have some bad days like that. Hope they are few and far between.

phlegmfatale said...

Prince Harry totally earned my respect with his mettle and determination. I take a dim view of the way he was "outed" by the press. For shame.

It sounds like the discussion is lively, invigorating and inspiring in your class - good on all of you - those are the absolute best kind. And well done on those men for going back to school - for one thing, it will reinforce their confidence that they're not slouches in the intelligence department. A 45 year old man knows things a 25 year old can't begin to fathom.

Like Lin, I hope the bad days for your pa are few and far between.

david mcmahon said...

Mate, I've read a lot of stuff about Harry, but your take ``here's a royal with a pair. Why not let him scratch 'em?'' sure takes the cake!!!

Kevin said...

Hey FHB, my wife saw Thge Other Boleyn Girl with her mom and sis, thought it wqas very good. Some of the stuff raised in the movie prompted us to bust out our "Royal Panoply" history book and read up on the Tudors.
BTW, did you manage to score that Dragunov?

FHB said...

Guy - Huge respect for guys like you and these dudes in my class who lived a life and did something before going to college. It must have been agony to have to hang with all the kiddies back then. And those profs were the same when I was in college. Fewer of them out there now, believe it or not. Surprised the hell out of me when I went back in '97.

Jerry - I sent you an email after seein' it Saturday night. Hope you got it. Sent Mushy the book today. Maybe you can get it from him on a swing through TN and read it. You'll love it.

Mushy - I know man. Hope it's better for you. It's convinced me that there is definitely something to be said about drinking or eating yourself into a heart attack before you turn into a child and your kids have to take care of you.

Old Soldier - You'll do well man. Go for it. And thanks for the visit.

Bee - Me too. Friggin' grave robbin ambulance chasers!

Pat - Too true.

Lin - My sentiments exactly.

Phlemmy - Exactly. Huge respect for him and them. It makes it so much more fun to teach.

Kevin - Saw that one Saturday night. Liked it, but that story's been told much better in other movies.

Dave -

FHB said...

Oh, and Kevin, no news on the Dragunov yet. maybe in a week or so.

Unknown said...

I'm appalled that people would protest anyone's funeral like that. I love the line, though:)

Once Harry was outed (which was a shame), they had to get him out of there because he would've become a target and endangered his other fellow soldiers with the extra attacks as the terrorists would try to get him. I give him credit for wanting to try to serve.