Friday, April 04, 2008

Had dinner with Mom on Tuesday night.

She'd cooked a roast and veggies last Sunday and put it in the fridge till Denise and I could get over there during the week to share it with her. My sister had already come over earlier in the day and taken her share by the time we got there at about 8PM on Tuesday night.



Mom went into the kitchen and started to heat everything up when we got there. She said she had an excess of eggs now that dad's not there to eat them and was afraid they'd go bad before she could eat them all. She asked me, would we like some stuffed eggs to take home. I tried not to slobber on myself and look too eager. "Sure, we'll take those off your hands." They were goooood.

Dad used to eat scrambled eggs and waffles every morning. Mom's scrambled eggs are wonderful. Her secret is... well, it wouldn't be a secret if I told ya, now would it? Come over some time and I'll fix 'em for ya. I learned at the feet of the master.



She heated up the roast and veggies in a skillet in the oven, heated up some peas on the stove and baked us some little croissant rolls to go with it all. It was all wonderful. She doesn't have the energy to cook elaborate meals much any more but when she does it's a treat for everyone. She's got fresh peaches in the freezer, so there'll be ice cream and chicken as soon as the weather gets hot, or as soon as she gets hungry for it.



After the meal we sat in the living room, talked about all sorts of stuff and sipped some of that chilled Chateaus Monet (you keep it in the freezer). These after dinner tipples have become a regular treat whenever we go over there for dinner or after eating out. We make sure she has a ready supply of the good stuff.

All in all, she's doing OK these days. She's keeping herself busy going through dads stuff and deciding what to keep and what to give to the Goodwill folks. I took a bag of dads stuff home with me when we left. It makes me feel very strange to do it, but that's life.

My dad told me a few times that when his father died of a heart attack in the back yard of their farm in 1964 that he'd taken his fathers clothes out into the field beside the barn and burned them. He couldn't stand the idea of some other man wearing his dads clothes. I guess I don't feel that way, and it's not my decision to make anyway.

The plan today is to go over to get mom at about 4:30. Then we'll ether drive back here and go to the Olive Garden, or we'll stay in Temple and go to BJs. It's a new thing, all this stuff bein' up in the air. Mom can change her mind in a second and decide not to go out at all, so I'll have to badger her from time to time to get her to come out of the house. Well, traditions change. We'll do whatever she wants to do.

This weekend was going to include dinner with some friends of Denise. The Deans secretary and her husband. But the husband shot himself in the hand cleaning his pistol a few days ago and is in the hospital, so the dinner is off. I feel sorry for the guy, but what a friggin' idiot! They think they might be able to save his pinky finger. Sheesh! I mean, I ALWAYS know when my shit is loaded. It ain't that hard to prevent that sort of thing. Well, shit does happen.

So, It looks like I might have time to get some stuff done around the house. I just ended one semester and will start another Monday. My classes are full, so it should be another busy one.

Anyway, you guys have a great weekend and we'll reconnect on the other side. Cheers.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That pot roast sure looks good. It's good to read that your Mom is getting on with life. And that you and Denise are there to help her. And your sister. Can't forget our sisters.

Suldog said...

Have a great weekend yourself, FHB.

"...save his pinky finger." Is that it's the only one hurt, or it's the only one they might be able to save?

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

So wonderful to hear from you mom...glad she's doing well, and man, wish I could taste that roast!

You're both doing well and I'm proud of you. My mom was a trooper after her third died, well, she was a trooper after them all. She has taught me well and I love her for it.

However, I'm not so sure I'd be that strong if something happened to Judy. She is my life and there would be a big hole in it if and when that happens.

I used to pray that I would go first, but now, I know that is selfish of me...I now think it should be her. I don't want her to be lonely...me, well, I could drink!

NotClauswitz said...

Mom gave a lot of Grandpa's stuff to Salvation Army, but mostly because it was in her belief-system not to let anything go to "waste" - but not even Grandpa saw "waste" in the same way she does or hold it in some kind of regard...

Sarge Charlie said...

Man I get hungry every time I stop by, it sounds like mom is coping well, I had a house full of stuff when my mother died, bee was a big help and I returned the favor when her mother passed.

Anonymous said...

Since Hairy won't tell his Mom's secret for great scrambled eggs, I'll suggest one. Break the eggs into a bowl or large measuring cup with spout (I prefer the later), add buttermilk and any spices you'd like. They cook up smooth and delicious (espeically if using an iron skillet). That Wilson family has some great cooks alright and they really know the local eating joints too. Belle

Shrinky said...

Ah, there is nothing quite so great as home cooking, is there? Glad to hear your mum is holding up, it must be a strong comfort for her to have you and your sib around.

PRH said...

Hope mom holds up well, and as usual, the food looks great!

I'm back up and on line...the worm has turned!

phlegmfatale said...

That looks like a lovely little feast and a special time with your mom.