Friday, April 11, 2008

Y'all remember this little toy?

My buddy Dave told me about a rifle a while back that a friend of his wanted to sell. I went up to Gatesville and identified the rifle as a Chinese copy of a Russian Dragunov Snipers rifle and told them it was worth about $2000. Then I came home and Googled it and found out they were really selling for about $4000! I decided to try to put a bid in. Told them I'd give them $1500 for it. That was about a month ago. There've been some interesting twists and turns in the story since then.


Things started out with me being the only bidder on the rifle. Dave was acting as my agent, contacting the owner on my behalf and tellin' them I wanted the rifle and a few of the sealed tins of 7.62x54 yellow tip ammo that they had layin' around. I really didn't want to spend that kind of money on the gun but felt like a fool if I didn't even try to get it for such a low price. When the hell will I ever see this sort of opportunity again?

Well, within a few weeks another bidder materialized. Another friend of Dave's from Gatesville. This guy offered $1800 for the rifle, so I reluctantly upped my bid to match him. Thing is, Dave told me that this guy really wanted the gun but couldn't afford to give them the $1800. He thought that when the time came this guy would back out and I'd end up with the gun. I reluctantly pledged $1800 and then a week or so later, Dave called and told me that this other guy had wrecked his truck and needed to get it fixed and now was talking about backing out of the bidding entirely.

I was like, "Fuck! Now they think I'm gonna pay them $1800! Thanks a whole friggin' lot Dave." He was very apologetic and told me he was backin' out and didn't want to be my go-between any more. Hell, I wasn't upset or anything. I REALLY didn't want to spend even $1500 for this friggin' gun. It'd be cool to have it but I don't have the $1500 or $1800 just layin' around any more than that other guy did.

Well, the auction was held in Gatesville over the last two weekends. Dave went over there for me and would call me to tell me if anything happened. They had the gun on sale for about $2200 but no one was showing much interest. I figured I'd just wait till it was all over and then swoop in and offer them $1500 and walk away with it. Turns out though, it wasn't to be.

In the end, another bidder showed up totally out of the blue and paid them $2000, on the very last day of the bidding. Dave called and told me and we both were in shock. Best laid plans eh? In reflection, I was actually happy for them, relieved that I wasn't going to have to cash a credit card check and go deeper into debt for a rifle I don't need. At the last minute I'd actually thought that if they didn't sell it in the auction I'd offer to take it up to Dallas this weekend (There's a huge Gun Show this weekend up there) and walk around Market Hall and see if I could sell it for them.

So, in the end I was happy to hear that they got so much for the gun. They got what I told them the gun was worth. I know they're happy and I KNOW the guy who got the gun is happy. I'd love to have a rifle like that but I'm glad I didn't put another $1800 on my credit card, so everyone came out a winner. Good times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Friday, so you probably know what the plan is. We're gonna head over to Temple tonight and take Mom out to eat somewhere. She's still dealing with the bank and all the government agencies, telling everyone that Dad died and figuring out how much her Social Security and Air Force pension will be. It's incredibly frustrating for her, not knowing how everything will work out, trying to get everything switched over to her name and filling out lots of forms. I wish I could get it all done for her but she's doing a wonderful job all on her own.

As I said before, there's a huge gun show in Dallas this weekend. Denise and I have a reservation at the Hyatt for Saturday night. We're gonna drive up to Ft. Worth Saturday morning and spend the afternoon with Jim and Terry and then head over and get our room in the evening. The plan is to head over to the Hoffbrau Steak place in the West End and eat dinner. Maybe listen to some good music somewhere around there. Then we'll sleep in and hit the Gun Show on Sunday.

It should be a good time. I'll tell ya how everything went down later on. You guys have a great weekend and we'll talk in a few. Cheers.

9 comments:

Suldog said...

Have some good food and a great weekend, FHB. And thanks for the blog material for today - the cuss-o-meter.

FHB said...

I saw that, You done good. It's fun when we feed off one another.

NotClauswitz said...

Gun auctions give me a hinky feeling, especially when I hear stories like that where bid-efforts come and go, and especially when "snipers" of indeterminate origin are involved - guns can be such parts-kits...
Hell, even eBay makes me feel hinky when last-second bidders come in and "snipe" an auction. I'm glad you weren't took by a crook.
Didja get any of that sealed-tin ammo? I need a bunch of 5.56 stuff.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Kinda glad you didn't go into debt for it, but on the other hand it would have been nice to shoot it!

Tell your mom hey for me.

BRUNO said...

Now you know why I stick to those little .22's, a 9mil, and 12-gauge buckshot!

But I do have a real nice night-vision monocular, and just a couple, or three, of some clandestine "leftovers" of the past.

But never fear---I've still got a shit-load of black powder stuff, so if worse comes to worse, I can MAKE my own propellant...!

Anonymous said...

Now see, that is good old Texas logic taking over as far as that gun goes. I would love to have it, but like you I don't want go go into anymore debt than necessary. If you had second thoughts in the first place, then you didn't need it. But like Mushy says it would be nice to shot it. Oh, I played with an MP5 today, cop friend of mine let me squeeze off a few clips. Damn, I want one. But it an't gonna happen. Enjoy Dallas Gun show, we got one comming up in Houston and I will be there.

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind, but your have been TAGGED

phlegmfatale said...

I'm sorry you didn't get your gun, but I'm happy for you that you didn't take on additional debt. Keep it simple, I suppose.

I would have loved seeing y'all at the gun show, but I'll hope to see you at another one very soon. I hope you had a grand time in Dallas. :)

FHB said...

Dirtcrashr - Yep, it was hinky, fer sure. I wanted to be up there but events conspired against it. I also really didn't want to plunkk down that cast, to everyone came out a winner.

Mushy - Yea man, I remember readin' about your gas card. I really want to get out from unfder the load. I will prevail! And hell, there'll always be another one, some day.

And mom said "Hey!"

Bruno - It do pay to stay with the common stuff you mentioned. A well placed shot with a .22 will do the job, fer sure.

Old Soldier - Dude, that would be too fun! I'd LOVE to get a chance to spray some lead. I'll work on the tag in a few. It's a doozy.

Phlemmy - We had a blast but it would have been even better if you'd been free. We'll get together soon.