Thursday, April 03, 2008

I went out and took some pictures of my land, so you guys will know what I mean by "scrub land".



How cool is it that the place is on Wilson Branch Road? It's some sort of kismet, not that I believe in that or anything.



Here's a shot of the improved road just down from that sign. Eventually they'll have new roads goin' through the whole place, including right past my lots.



This is the view that greets you as you drive on to the place, past the first rows of ceder. There are lots of tall trees here that I hope to reveal with the guy cutting back the ceder.



Lots of ceder, chokin' out a lot of other, prettier trees.



When you take the path down the hill you find yourself runnin' into tall ceder and oaks, as well as other trees.



And yes, to answer one question, you can hunt on the property. Thing is, there are people living on all four sides of me, so I don't feel good about hunting with a rifle out there. But bow hunting is definitely a possibility (not from this blind though). The neighbors would rather we pet the deer, but I may have to harvest some.



You head down hill far enough and you see this ancient artifact. It's the biggest and prettiest Live Oak on the place, or on any place around. The previous owner built that platform so his kids could climb the thing.



Further down you get to the creek bottom, where you can easily see the difference between my property and the sheep herders property. This bottom land floods every time there's a heavy rain, the creek swelling with runoff. You can see the fence bent over from all the crap that piled up against the fence the last time this happened.



Here's the creek, taken from the low water bridge just down from my property. There are a few springs that feed it but it's flow is mostly runoff. In the summer it mostly dries up. My property technically goes to the middle of the stream.

Well, pretty cool eh? Lots of possibilities. I'll probably have it paid off by the end of the year.

13 comments:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Damn, if I were you, I buy me a slug gun and I wouldn't change a thing. I sit out there every chance I got in hunting season...maybe other times.

What a place to contemplate the world!

Lovely...reminds me of Camp Bullis.

Lin said...

I love it! Thing about clearing the scrub completely is that you see and HEAR your neighbors a lot more. It's surprising how much sound the undergrowth can damper.

JDP said...

That platform would make a good bowhunting stand if you ask me.

JDP

Sarge Charlie said...

the live oak is a beauty my friend, makes me homesick for the woods.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

land is forever, a great buy!

smiles, bee

Kevin said...

Great place! Very pretty. I like that you can hunt it, too...

Grandpa-Old Soldier said...

That is a great chunk of dirt. Liek Mushy says, it does look like Camp Bullis, but that is another story for another day.

Jerry in Texas said...

FHB,
Didn't know you were one of them Texas Land Barons. That's some pretty property. I'd hang on to it for awhile.

BRUNO said...

I'll echo what LIN said about killing noise! I didn't realize how much noise that natural buffer was catching, until the guy next door cleaned his out!

I keep mine posted with trespass signs, and "purple-paint"---too much liability, nowadays!

I agree with JERRY: Hang on to it for a while, don't get "slick-talked" into a cash deal. Once it's gone, there's no turnin' back...!

FHB said...

Thanks for all the valuable advise folks. The plan now is to get this dude to cut back the ceder, but there's still a lot of other brush that would be left behind. I'll probably never move out there. In stead I'll sell it for a nice chunk of change in about ten years and then get a place somewhere else on a river.

Your comments about liability have got me thinkin' about getting this guy to sign somethin' sayin' that if he chopps his own leg off while cutting ceder he won't sue me. We'll see how all that goes.

And I probably will leave most of it as is. The ceder is in bunches and there's still a lot of other vegitation. Lots of places for deer and turkey to hide and bed down. I think I'll go out there and see if I can get a deer this fall. I'll see if I can get good enough with the bow by then.

Again, thanks for all the great comments.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Texas country side. Makes me jealous.

NotClauswitz said...

Maybe clear the thickets and crud from the middle, but leave property lines dense and overgrown - maybe even plant more stuff to make it more impenetrable, like whatever they had in those French hedge-rows. ;-)
Leave some little splotches of trees together - like a small shady oasis.

GUYK said...

Yep, I'm with mushy and once you get those cedars out of there go out after a big rain in the fall and broadcast about a 100 pounds of grain..hell, any kind including oats. Then Come fall you should have some good dove hunting.