Sunday, January 06, 2008

Christmas critters.

You guys know me by now. I've always felt more comfortable around dogs and other critters than most people. So when I went to Wisconsin to meet my girlfriends family I was very happy to find I'd be able to spend a lot of time playin' with their dogs.

There were five in all.; two little fluffy numbers that kept to themselves, trying to avoid the ruckus, and three Labs. One Lab, the oldest, was a chocolate named Josie. Another adolescent male was named Jake, and the little black female (mutt, mix) puppy was named Bentley.



Josie was a strong, steady beast, with a cool temperament. There had earlier been an incident when she'd bitten the little black female for getting in her face once too often, so we had to watch them whenever they were together. She also had some of the smelliest farts in Christendom. Another famous farter, Denise's brother Martin, tried to tell us once that it wasn't him. We were doubtful.



With the two of them there in the kitchen, it was a toss-up when the smell hit us...



Until I got a face full on the couch on Christmas night. My eye's watered for hours. Click on that one for the full view of my anguish.



The little black Lab/mix was the comedian/terrorist of the bunch. She kept the older dogs either hidden away upstairs, avoiding the drama, or busy with an ongoing game of tug of war with what was left of an old stuffed bear. That spot on her back is the scar from that bite. She's workin' Jake's last nerve here. Every once and a while she would quiet down and get sweet on us. I caught an image of such a moment here...



She's being cuddled by Jason, Denise's nephew. Jason was the owner of the yellow lab. Jake was my buddy. Every time we sat down for a somewhat formal dinner Jake would end up at my side, with his chin on my leg.



I'd feed him surreptitiously from my plate, but I think I wasn't the only one. Then his folks would show us his special talent.



He liked to clean the plates after they'd been put in the dishwasher. I tell ya, these babies were a constant source of fun and joy. I really know now why some of you talk about loving your big dogs. There was one routine that never got old. That was watching Jake and Bentley doing their tug of war. Here's a short, soundless video for your amusement.



That's Denise's grandson Bryce jumping in there towards the end. After that, the dogs would lay down and take a nap. It was a great time.



Next, Snow blowing. Cheers.

11 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

you are a sly one there FHB, the way to mom's heart is through their dogs.

none said...

Dog farts are atrocious they have a heat to them and are thick in the air. I hear it's from lactose intolerance.

Cute pups though. I always get along better with dogs overall.

Chuck said...

I've been known to blame farts on the dog! Looks like some well loved dogs!

Alex L said...

Yes dog fluffs are the worst, there always silent to so its a really nice surprise when it hits you.

Christina RN LMT said...

I always wonder how my 13 pound pup can produce such a huge amount of horrific gas. The worst is when he lets loose inside the car, you've never seen windows rolled down more quickly! And it doesn't matter one bit what the weather is like outside, either.

Christo Gonzales said...

LOL you make that couch look like an arm chair

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Such a wonderful house, full of love for each other and their animals.

I can see why you enjoyed yourself so much.

I could watch "tugs of war" for hours!

Anonymous said...

Sadly, he is gone now. But I would have let you take care of my pup anytime. And he would have followed you. He KNEW when he met a friend. Those pictures are so nice!

BRUNO said...

Glad that all of my "livestock" are 95% outdoor! Only inside to feed 'em!

And when it's MY turn to fart, I generally get the same treatment---OUTSIDE, asshole...!

GUYK said...

dawg flatulence...wow! If you wanna really get a smell just feed a Beagle some raw venison scraps..

Lin said...

Delighted to hear that you survived Josie's farts - it means you're ready to meet Brou. At least he sounds an audible warning about 20% of the time.