Thursday, January 17, 2008

Took Denise over to Temple a week or so ago and introduced her to a Wilson family tradition.



Mom surprised us all a few weeks back when she said she was hungry for Chicken and ice cream. She needs to be hungry for it to want to go to the trouble of cooking it. It's normally a summer treat, so we were all happily surprised when mom told us she was in the mood to cook it in the first week of January.



You've seen this stuff before. It was GOOD! Peach ice cream and fried chicken.



It didn't last long ether. There was just enough left over to fill a few old margarine cups.



You've heard this before. Mom makes the sauce, and then I show up with a big bag of ice and put the freezer together and get it going. When it stops I see to it that mom gets the first plate...



Then dad, and then the rest of us. There's an ulterior motive in that order of things. The sweetest ice cream is always down at the bottom. I ain't no fool. And yes, my diabetes is doing fine, thank you.

6 comments:

Going Like Sixty said...

I want some! whine. Brain freeze. Man-o-man that just looks perfect.

Sarge Charlie said...

Oh man, home made peach ice cream is my very favorite, except for lemon.

Buck said...

Wow... that fired off some long-dormant synapses! Summers in Atlanta with my grandmother and great-grandmother and home made peach ice cream, made in a hand-cranked freezer. I thought my arm would fall off by the time my great-grandmother said "that's enough." Those ol' hand-crankers are WORK! But the results?

Priceless.

FHB said...

Goinglikesixty - Yea, it's great stuff. Thanks for comin' by.

Sarge - Oooh, never had Lemmon. THAT sounds good.

Buck - Yea, we started out in the early days crankin' it. My dad did that until I got old enough to do it. Someone would sit on it with a towel over the machine, weighin' it down while we cranked it.

Lin said...

I don't care how many times I've been to your families fried chicken and ice cream dinners, it's still fabulous! Hope you have many, many more ahead of you with Mom and Dad.

FHB said...

Lin - Me too, so long as mom continues to want to eat it, we'll have it. I have the recipes for both, but mom,m has the touch.