Wednesday, January 09, 2008

OK, let's take a short break from the Hazlett family Christmas so I can tell you about somethin' I saw today on base.

After lunch I was standing outside the college office which is situated across from one of the headquarters buildings. The music caught our attention and then we saw the crowds and the buses coming up. Soldiers were coming home, and their families were waiting to see them.

They let about 5 bus loads of soldiers out on the opposite side of the road from the building where their families were waiting, which has a huge field of grass behind it for just such occasions. They got the soldiers in formation, flanked by cavalry soldiers on horseback in 1870s era uniforms and equipment.

The buses drove away and the soldiers fell into the view of their families for the first time in 15 months! They marched in formation up to where their families were, their commander said something over the loud speaker that we couldn't discern, and then they were all cut loose to finally reunite with one another. It all happened very fast.



There was a surge as the soldiers and family members came together. It was like watching two medieval armies running into one another and coming to blows from a distance, only it was cheering and laughter that filled the air, with a few balloons slipping into the sky as mothers, fathers and children lost their grip in the emotion of the moment.

One of my colleagues mentioned the big welcome home party the 4th I.D. soldiers got when they came home in 2003, after the initial invasion. They had Lynnard Skynnard and several other big entertainers here and a huge bash. I said "Yea, that was back when we thought the war would last 6 months", and they grunted an agreement. Now the homecomings are more circumspect, but no less meaningful for the participants.

As it wound down we saw one soldier, obviously without a family to greet him, walking through our parking lot with what looked like an 80 or 90 pound pack on his back and another slung across his chest. As he walked by, obviously tired beyond tired, I shouted "Welcome home man!". He turned with a huge grin and said "Thank you sir!", took a few steps more and then tossed part of his load on the ground to wait for his ride, and grabbed a cigarette from another soldier.

I tell ya what, I love this job, and the opportunity it gives me to see this stuff for myself each day. And I love these people. Many of them will be in my classes in a month or so. Here's hopin' they all spend the rest of their lives in the warm embrace of their family and friends and that everything they go through in the rest of their life is easier than the terrifying crap that's now finally behind them. Here's hopin'.

11 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

well that made me cry...

smiles, bee

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Thanks man, from all us Vets, thanks for taking the time to care.

And you said you always wanted to do something...that's all it takes.

Great post!

GUYK said...

Thanks my friend..I have been involved in those homecomings after a deployment and they can be heartwarming as well as heartbreaking
for those whose loved ones can't come home...and sometimes for the returning troop whose loved one ain't there to greet him...

TexasFred said...

These particular deployments SHOULD have only lasted 3 or 4 months...

God love em and protect em all...

Great post FHB... And I do appreciate the visit at my place...

J said...

Well damn there go the waterworks. It's so touching, to see the families coming back together. I think that your appreciation of our guys goes futher than you think it does. I love to see the guys come home to their families, even if that means that mine will be leaving to take their place. I am lucky to have D at home right now, but his orders have come again too soon.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you have captured something that we Army wives hold so near and dear and showed the world how it feels. And all I can do is say thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that seemingly small moment in time. But I'll guarantee you that young man will remember that hairy faced old bastard for the rest of his days. Good on ya!

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Danm you Jeff,

You've brought me out a hiding!!

(There's gonna' be hell to pay.)

Missed you guys too much, it hurts.

Ps. Bloody post of yours had me blubbing, you sod.

Right Truth said...

What a sight that must have been. God bless them every one. A soldier with no one to meet him, that is a shame. Breaks my heart.

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

phlegmfatale said...

That's got to be a profound thing to witness. Bless them, every one.

Chuck said...

Ah man, that's awesome!

FHB said...

Thanks guys. It's something that goes on here all the time, but doesn't get much attention. I luck into seeing things like this out here now and then and thought it was something blogworthy.