Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Like I told you before, the Friday before we flew home, the snow came down in big flakes.



I had scraped the ice off about half the drive shortly after getting there, but now it was time to drag out the big gun.



They had a huge, powerful snow blower in the garage, just waiting for such a time. It's a Husqvarna, and built for combat with the elements.



Of all of us, Jason was the only one who knew how to get the thing going. After a short flurry of tweaks on the gears and a pull on the rip chord, it started up in a cloud of smoke and noise. Very exciting stuff indeed. I was dyin' to get behind it and try it out, but Denise's grandson Bryce jumped at it and I didn't want to get in the way. Wouldn't be cool to jack the girlfriends grandson on the first meeting, so I chilled, and decided to record everything for posterity.



Jason gave him a few tips, like how to shift the snow blower from one side to the other, and before you know it he was goin' up and down the drive and the snow was flyin'. Here's a short video showing the progress he made.



I really wish this camera recorded sound, but you can guess it was a loud bastard. Of course, I had my doubts about trying to blow the snow off the drive while it was still snowing, but I was the weird Texan, so what did I know. Anyway, I think it was more about getting to play with the toy than anything else. Gear heads out there will be able to relate.



Jason, Martin and Lynn, Denise's younger daughter, all stood in the garage and "observed" from a distance. The Stella Artois was goin' fast by then, as were other beers to be mentioned later.



Huge fun was had by all... And then we went inside 'cause it was friggin' cold as a witches tit out there.

Next, the swimmin' hole.

10 comments:

none said...

That does look like fun.

Husqvarna used to make lots of mauser copies but they were always big into hardware.

BRUNO said...

And they don't work too badly on those late-fall leaf piles, either! Except you should remove the "winterizing-package", otherwise you might burn 'er up!

I'm still workin' on this sort of dream, too! Some jackass offered me an ELECTRIC model once---Aw, HELL NO!!! I don't see it as too smart to be draggin' a 110-volt cord around in those 1-foot plus snow banks...!

Chuck said...

I'm shivering just looking at the pictures! Although I'd love to have a few days of that. It's 71 friggin' degrees here today.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

I never got excited about snow on the drive...always had plenty of vacation time I could take, so in a couple days, if not that afternoon, the snow melted off on its own.

When it snowed here, it usually didn't stick around long...just enough time to wear yourself out on a hill with a sled.

Christina RN LMT said...

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with snow!

I'm happy to look at pictures of it, though.

Jerry in Texas said...

I shoveled off my Mom and Dad's sidewalk and driveway. We only had about an inch, which blew into a foot deep drift. The key is getting it scooped up after the winds die down, and before it warms up to above freezing. Once you've cleared the sidewalk, the sun will melt the rest.

Although I would die happy if I never shoveled snow ever again.

PRH said...

Looks like you enjoyed it....here in west Ohio, we had snow and wind on New Year's Day...70 yesterday and now raining cats and Airedales and 55 tonight...

J said...

I miss the snow so much. I think it's kind of sad that kids here in Texas don't get to grow up with 4 seasons. I am so used to that, having actual weather, that I really want that for my child too. I wish every kid could enjoy the pleasure of playing in the snow and coming inside to hot chocolate.

phlegmfatale said...

loved the vid- hoovering up that snow looks like fun!

*Goddess* said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. And there was fudge. So all was well;)