Monday, March 10, 2008

Gettin' my new toy.

First off, while I was drivin' onto the base Friday to get to my 11:30 class, I drove past some of the cavalry reenactors who were out with their gear and horses.



I see these guys now and then, and it's always a treat. They are serving soldiers who are assigned to this duty, sort of like an honor guard. They take part in all sorts of parades and ceremonies, keeping the lore and gear of the old 19th century cavalry alive.

Now, I went up to Gatesville Sunday to pick up my newest toy. Got up there at about 3PM, finding my buddy Dave and his dog "Red" sittin’ on the front porch, with my gun in the box on the table.

Red's a great dog. Totally fierce looking, but totally gentle. She always follows us out to Dave's back 40 when we go out there to shoot, but she hates the noise, sometimes shaking and drooling in fright.


At one point I sat down on the floor there on his front poch and she curled up in my lap. She’s a sweetie.


The gun turned out even better than I thought it would be. The stock shows a bit of wear and tear, but nothing like it could be, considering it's history. It turns out to have an M-2 stock, with a groove on the left side where a selector switch would have been. The upper hand guard is probably original, but who knows.


I was a happy camper. Dave added the repro sling, and the clip is one I picked up at a gun show months ago in preparation for this day. Now I need a few more clips and a bayonet, and the package will be complete.



Here’s Dave and his carbine. I think he’s got one of everything, but he’s talked himself into ordering yet another carbine.

At one point I took three rounds and went around the side of his place and put two of them in the “Y” of a young Live Oak from about 50 yards. I was happy with the accuracy of it, and the noise and slight kick of the .30 rounds. I’d never shot a Carbine before. I ordered 250 rds of .30 from the Sportsman’s Guide last week. By the time it gets here I’ll be ready to take this puppy back up to Dave's place, or out to my property to do some plinkin’.



Just before I left, Red caught sight of a squirrel hoppin’ from one tree to another. Dave said “Red, squirrel!”, and those ears popped up. Next thing we knew she’d jetted off like a torpedo, only to be frustrated as the little critter jumped to the top of another little Live Oak.



Before going home we played a few games on his old, 1930s vintage pool table. It's usually covered with stuff (I've noticed that about a lot of pool tables in a lot of houses I've been in)., but this time it was set up to play, so we did. He lost the first game by knockin' in the 8 ball early, and then won the second game. I was continually frustrated and my shots, seein' the balls curve on the old table so that I'd miss my mark. I guess he's used to it though, or was just lucky.

Anyway, we had a great time, and then I headed home. Dad called my house while I was up there and Denise relayed the call to me tellin' me that Dad was trollin' for a better dinner option again. I called mom and found out that she wasn't plannin' to cook for him, so I told them that Denise and I would drive over and get him and take him back to the Chinese food place again. It was another good time. I'll post about that tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm totally happy with the carbine, but now I've got to get the steamer out from wherever I've put it and see if I can get off the last bits of cosmoline. It should be easy. One of these days I'll post close-up shot of it so you can see the details.

Well, I hope everyone had a great weekend, and has a great Monday. It's raining and cool here, but you know I love that sort of weather. You guys endure whatever weather you have, and we'll talk again later. Cheers.

11 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

Since I already complimented the carbine, I'll just say what a nice doggy!

Sarge Charlie said...

I wish I still had my M-2, I replaced my m-16 with it in Nam. We got two of them new in the box from special forces. Like an idiot, I left it there.

Anonymous said...

I use to hump kc's and 52's carring one of those, course back then I was only an airman, so I had to carry an m1 carbine. Had to be a sgt before you got the m2. I'm dating my self. Ha. anyhow it looks to be in fine shape.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Sweet! I'm jealous man, but I have to keep reminding myself that I have enough toys!

Congratulations!

Lin said...

Congrats! New toys = GOOD!

none said...

Nice looking gun!

Who's the manufacturer? It can usually be found behind the rear sight and on the barrel. Sometimes there will be a year as well

A bunch were pieced together from different places when they were refurbished but not all.

Sarge Charlie said...

Yo Man, I just put a post up that you will like........

GUYK said...

yep, I've carried both the m1 and the m2 I like the way an M2 can empty a 30 round banana clip in a hurry..

Chuck said...

Those Calvary reenactors looks so cool! Must be awesome to live where you live. Very nice dog your friend has. Ain't it great to have a dog wrap itself in your lap? That's some unconditional love right there.

How was that cigar?

Kevin said...

Oh, that's a beauty, FHB! Totally envious! One of these days...

FHB said...

Dirtcrashr - Yep, great doggie, and thanks for the comment on the toy.

Sarge - Yea, I wish they'd a mixed things up and sent me an M-2.

Old Soldier - Cool memories man. Thanks for comin' by again.

Mushy - Dude, you can't have too many, can ya. maybe I'll bring it in August.

Lin - Thanks, me loves it.

Hammer - It's a Winchester, with a few other parts and pieces mixed in.

Sarge - Loved that man. Thanks.

Guy - Yea, there ain't nothin' like full auto.

Chuck - Yea, I see them now and then. they really spice up and event. Otherwise, this really ain't the coolest place to live. Come down one day and I'll show ya.

Kevin - Thanks. And one can be yours, for less than this one cost me. Find someone who's hooked up to the CMP and you could get one for $450 to $550.