Monday, July 31, 2006

As per request, Grand Canyon pics from 03 and 05.


This is one of the most famous photo spots in the canyon,
about, mid way into the '03 trip. We hiked up a trail to see
Anasazi ruins, turned around and this was what we saw.
Note the perspective by comparing the size of the boats
down at the shore. Teenie weenie. It is a "grand" canyon after all.

Here's the typical scene. We're all luggage, unless you
chose to row. Note, geezers can make it just as well as
younger folks. Two of the folks in on the '05 trip were
geologists from Yale, in their 70s. The guy sitting on the
very back of this boat was a retired park ranger, also in his
70s, who had had a hip replaced a while earlier. He beat
me down the trail, bastard. Hell of a guy. Fun times. Note
the rocks. The further down river you go the more ancient
the rocks get. These are Lava I think, not far from the
biggest rapid we ran on the trip.

Here's a typical view, about 3 days into the '03
trip. That trip took us from Lee's Ferry to
Phantom Ranch, about 7 days worth of floating,
after which we hiked up to the South rim of the
canyon from the floor. Took me about 8 hours to hike
it. Some times if sucks to be a fat hairy bastard.

2 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

Wow- these are magnificent photos -were you using a hot-shit camera? I'm guessing this wasn't a disposable fuji camera. Breathtaking! Thanks for obliging me!

FHB said...

My buddy had a 3 or 4 megapixle camera on the 03 trip, and another guy on the 05 trip had this huge, rediculous digital thing that looked very expencive. We all paid him a few bucks and he sent us discs with about 300 pics. Don't diss the disposable cheapos though. I've taken nice shots with those. Now I think of it, The first shot was taken with my disposable... maybe.