Thursday, November 02, 2006

Putting a few finishing touches to the gear, and heading off for a weekend at Terlingua (Viva!), near Big Bend.

Click on this to enlarge it. Purdy eh?


The dudes and I will be taking part in a chili cook-off there this weekend. I'll be eating LOTS of good BBQ (ribs and brisket), and sleeping like a baby in my tent. You should see my setup. It's a sight to behold. I do this well, and I believe in my comfort.



This was taken on the beach, somewhere along the Buffalo National River, a few summers back. Note the air mattress, sheets, and comforter. Everything you see there fits nicely in that red dry bag. For colder weather, I'll have a down duvet, down sleeping bag, comforter, flannel sheets, and a pillow. Was I shitting you when I said I know how to do this? I have it all packed in a moderate sized bag, ready to go. I'll see if I can get a few pictures this weekend. The fried chicken mom made us for the drive is chilling in the fridge, and I'm about to get up from this thing and put the make on the brochett shrimp, which is what I'll be serving tomorrow for hors d'oeuvres. It should be nice. Bacon wrapped shrimp, stuffed with cheese and peppers, covered in butter and grilled. Eh? And somebody asked me if I could cook.

And finally, this cartoon sums up my feelings about the season perfectly.



You guys have a good weekend, and I'll see ya later.

8 comments:

Christina RN LMT said...

Wow, when you camp, you do it with style!

Great pics, by the way.

I haven't been camping since I was seventeen.
So it's been a long time...

Sorry if I impugned your cooking ability, didn't mean to offend! ;-)

I hope you have a fun weekend, I'm going to a high school marching band competition on Saturday, should be entertaining.

FHB said...

Aaa, I'm very hard to offend. I don't cook much at all, but when I do, it's ether simple and quick, or it's messy and usually good. I just cleaned up after putting the shrimp together. Last one went on the stick at about 3:35am. What a pain. People love em though. Buddy will be here at 5ish to get me. Hope to sleep in the truck, but we'll see.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun, I've never made it out that way in all the years I've lived in Texas. I'll have to check it out this next spring.

Canoes under my shoes said...

I've had my camping bag packed and sitting in the garage untouched for the past five years.

sniff

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Sorry now that I cancelled my trip. Great shots. Is the top one a merge or from a panoramic capable camera?

Have fun.

Kelly said...

I. Hate. Camping.

That is all.

Have fun!

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Oooooooooh...

BBQ, beer and bacon wrapped shrimp.

All is right with the world.

Dick said...

Where do ya put the a/c unit?