Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The week is winding down...

Was thinking that I was gonna have an easy night tonight. I'd go in to my 7:30 class and spend about an hour giving the folks their second exam, and then go back home to the couch, and this friggin thing. But I had to go in instead and take over another class for a colleague who has been hospitalized with pneumonia. Another instructor stood in for me and gave my government class their test, and I took over a history class. What a ride. I took them from 1781 to 1800. It doesn't sound like a long period of time, but a lot of important shit took place in those few years. Those folks took more notes tonight than they had in a while. Love this gig. Hope my buddy is better soon. Pneumonia can kick yer ass, I'm told.

And to capture the spirit of Thanksgiving, here are some cute pictures sent to me lately. Someone found a little critter shivering on their porch, took it in and let it cuddle with the family pooch. How sweet. Thing is, I think that's the pose that a baby deer takes instinctively when they've been caught out in the open and they need to go to ground and hide.



But it makes a great holiday picture.



Bambi and the family pooch, showing us yet again that critters who we think of as natural enemies can actually get along happily in the warmth of the hearth.



Damn, that's cute as hell. Nice wood floors and leather furniture too.

What you don't see is that momma deer is nearby waiting for the danger to subside, so the baby can escape with momma and the siblings. But now these folks have kidnapped her baby, gotten their scent all over it, and the dogs too, which means mom will never go near it again. They will take it inside to let it warm up, at which point it will commence to shit everywhere.

They'll decide it's wrong to take in a wild animal, at which time they set it loose in the yard to wander, looking for mama, till it's chased down and torn to shreds by a pack of coyotes. End of Bambi. End of story. Another example of silly city folks meddling in the natural way of things, anthropomorphizing every critter they see and meddling in shit they don't understand.

They'll raise their kids to think of the deer as a pet, looking with scorn at the hunter who wants to harvest them as a resource, and then they'll head down to the grocery store to get their turkey wrapped in plastic. No gut pile necessary. No moral conflict. A nation of pussies, expanding exponentially across the nation like a plague. Bring on the bird flue now, please God.

Remember, the spirit of the holidays.

5 comments:

Christina RN LMT said...

You rule, FHB!!!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

You tell'em son...it's all the damn truth!

There should be a legal hunting season on stupid people...just one day would be plenty for me to turn over my inventory!

phlegmfatale said...

you're such a happy little guy!

FHB said...

Me? I sure am! I calls 'em as I sees 'em baby.

*Goddess* said...

Lordy, my dog would have snapped that deer's neck in a heartbeat.