Monday, March 03, 2008

Friday stuff on Saturday: Takin' Dad out to hit 'em and chow down.



Here's Dad and I, zippin' off to hit golf balls and eat at about 6pm Saturday evening. He loves my car. It's a sporty little zip zip, and I love to drive it fast. I love to make him nervous as I go around corners. Serves him right. I grew up on stories of him doing the same thing to his father when he and Mom came home from being stationed in England for the first time and he shipped home his little Austin Healey. He talks about hitting 100mph many times in that little number. This is the same man who made sure all the cars I got to drive growin' up had lawn mower engines in them. I've often wondered where that really cool guy went when I was born. It's a mystery.

There's another shot in this set of him holding on for dear life with one hand to the handle up to his right, but it's too fuzzy to post. That cigar I'm workin' on is a good, dark maduro. He usually says somethin' about me smokin' when he gets in the car. He smoked a pipe and cigarettes when he was younger and supposedly quit it all cold turkey some time around when I was born. Lots of strength of will, this man's had, all his life.



We hit the drivin' range and I hit a small bucket of balls while he sat and watched. I made him get up and hit a few at one point, teein' up the balls for him.



We both did well, and finished just as the sun was going down and the breeze was blowing a little colder. Note the shorts and Teva sandals... The first time those have been out of the house this year. It was in the mid-70s Friday. Nice weather. It's in the 40s today, and we're expecting it to be in the 30's or lower tomorrow. Again, if you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait a bit.



I took both of these last shots with the flash off and tried to lighten them up on the computer. That's right, more shrimp fried rice and Gen Tso's chicken. It was extra wonderful Saturday. The later we go in the evening the better the food is. Bigger crowds mean the food gets cooked more often and is fresher. I tell ya, I've got this shit down to a science.



Dad always finishes with a small thing of ice cream. He loves it. Notice those two $20,000 aquariums behind him. Huge cool friggin' things, with some big expensive fish in one and some regular tropical fish in the other. They just put those in, and they're fun to watch as you eat.

After takin' dad home and visitin' with Mom for a bit I headed back home to get Denise and we headed to the movies. We went to the movies Friday night too. It turned out that The Other Boleyn Girl was sold out Friday night, so we went to see No Country For Old Men. Loved it. Read the book about a year ago and knew what to expect. After it ended I looked down to Denise and asked what she thought of it. "That was crap! What a bloody crap ending!" I burst into laughter, hearing her voice the same sentiment that almost everyone I know has voiced, even from reading the book. Seeing it on the screen, the end made more sense and I think I loved it. Excellent movie. Well deserving all the awards it's picked up.

Saturday night, after coming back from takin' dad out to eat and visitin' with mom, we went back to the multiplex and saw Boleyn Girl, and liked that one too. The story's been told better in other movies, but it was fun to watch the story unfold from the sibling angle. It occurs to me that Scarlet Johanson has just about one expression... That puzzled lips opened pout. Of course, those are such luscious lips, who minds?

Well, that's enough for now. Later in the week I'll tell ya about takin' Denise and Dad to the Wilson family reunion on Sunday. Good times were had by all. Have a great week. Cheers.

7 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

Yep, you are right, how can you smoke that stogie with him closed up in the car. He is a fine looking man, the cool dude grew up when you were born.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

I've had nothing but food all day and I'm still hungry...even more now!

Love to see you with the old dude...that's nice.

Jerry in Texas said...

FHB,
Sandals? In March? Damn. I'm sitting here with big heavy socks and a flannel shirt on...indoors.

You got your cigar and Dad got his ice cream. Everybody's happy.

david mcmahon said...

Funny what you say about our Dads being daredevils!!

I can identify with that ...

Merisi said...

What sweet (and still loving!) revenge. Unfortunately there's no good Chinese food around here, tastes very different, the General Tsao's Chicken is not worthy of it's name.

Daryl said...

Male bonding .. with Chinese .. hard to go wrong.

I may be the only person I know who thought that was a perfect ending.

David sent me

Suldog said...

Hey, FHB, real nice post.