Friday, March 28, 2008

It's Friday again.

I went over to see mom yesterday and tried to help get some stuff straitened out with the VA, the Air Force, and such. It looks from what we've heard so far like mom's gonna be OK financially after my dad's death. She's gonna be making enough each month to allow her to live pretty well. We called USAA and got all the policies switched over to her name and she's gonna end up paying less for better coverage. Her taxes are even gonna be less, now that she's a widow.

I went by the Chinese food place after seein' mom to tell them that dad had died. They knew us well from our regular trips and always treated dad like a king. I just don't want there to be a big scene when I show up there tonight with mom. It's gonna be hard enough on me to go back there without everyone feeling the need to come up and tell me how sorry they all are. Hell, It's probably gonna happen anyway, but we'll deal with it.

I was tempted to take mom somewhere else, maybe to BJs. I gave mom the choice of where to go, as I always will, and we'll probably visit lots of places in the coming years, but I LOVES me some Chinese food. Don't want to miss out on that regular feed. I know my waistline could use a break from the Generals Chicken, but I haven't paid attention to that voice in my head in a while.

Some friends of mine are goin' to Johnson City to compete in a chili cook-off this weekend, and Denise and I were planning to drive down and join them, but she's come down with a stomach flu and those plans may be off. Depending on how she's doing, maybe we'll just drive down Saturday and spend a few hours rather than going tonight and pitching a tent.

I've got students taking their final exam as we speak, and more taking them Monday. My 8 week semester is ending early next week, so I'll have a few days off at the end of the week to relax and get some other stuff done. I've recently taken up the bow again after something like 20 years, and my groups were getting tighter before dad went into the hospital and those sorts of things got shoved aside. Since going back to work this week I haven't been able to get to the range but I'll get over there today and take about an hour to practice. With a few hours of shooting next week under my belt I might just be able to get a turkey the following weekend. We'll see.

So, I'll head over to Temple at about 3:30 or so and make a few more phone calls and take care of a little more business for mom. Then we'll take her out to Dynasty and belly up to the buffet one more time. I'll get me a bit more of those good vittles. Maybe I'll eat a few more shrimp this time for you-know-who. If there's time after that I might get to do some shooting at the range. I think they close at 7:30. We'll see.

Now, I feel like I need to say somethin' to all you wonderful folks who were so kind to me and my family when you heard the news of my fathers passing. I want you to know that it really did help having those comments posted, and it still does. I find I'm able to move through my daily life now without thinking too much about daddy. I keep myself pretty busy, but from time to time the flood gates do open. I don't feel bad about it or anything, but I do have a desire to keep the grief private when it comes to most of the folks I deal with on a daily basis.

Having friends like you guys out there really makes everything easier to deal with. I love you folks with all with all my heart and I feel your hand on my shoulder when the need arises. It'll take me a long time to get over this loss, if I ever really do. But like many of you before me, I'll deal with it. I guess I'm tryin' to grow up a bit. It's not fun, but it's necessary. Don't worry. I won't ever REALLY grow up. There's no fun in that. I'm just tryin' to do what a man's supposed to do in these situations.

So, be looking forward to a lot more Friday posts, and more great pictures of great food and fun. Everything is gonna be OK. You guys have a great weekend and we'll talk on the other end of things. Cheers.

11 comments:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Glad to hear you are on the mend...that's so good.

Ron and I took the women folk to the big rocks today, then had beer and chow at the local Mex place.

It's been a good day...guess I need a nap now...call me later.

Suldog said...

If you ever REALLY grew up, I'd stop coming here.

phlegmfatale said...

You've been on my mind today. I think you should continue to celebrate your father with the General's chicken- that's a very good association. Bless you and yer ma.

J said...

I am glad you are taking your mom out. It will be nice for you two to have some quality time. Have a great time!

Christina RN LMT said...

You never forget, but it's okay to make new traditions. Have fun tonight.

NotClauswitz said...

Tight groups are gooder groups! Taking the time to mentally empty your head and just focus on groups is a good way to honor your Dad and yourself. One thing I tried that helped my groups was doing just a session maintaining a focused response to keeping my eye on the FRONT SIGHT and continuing with the follow-through, and groups got smaller. Don't worry, the General's got plenty of chickens.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

was thinking about y'all and the friday scene. i know it would be hard. just know you were the best son i have known. you really were. and be proud.

smiles, bee

JDP said...

FHB like I always say, growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional. My dad died in 1985, and I miss him and think of him every day. It does get easier with time. Your dad may be gone from this physical world but he will always be with you.

JDP

Donna said...

Hello from Robinson...I've been reading your blog for several weeks now, but just now saw where your father passed away! I'm SO sorry...I lost mine in 02...it'll get easier...Glad your mother has you and Denise...happy evening to you!

Lin said...

You are doing great as the new big guy of the clan - I'm SO proud of you. As I found out myself, your mom will really appreciate your help in dealing with the paperwork and legalities - it is an overwhelming task for widows to deal with alone amidst their grief.

And I think the folks at the Chinese place will have a new monarch to fuss over before long so here's to Fridays with Mom, Jeff and the General!

PRH said...

Hang in there brother, the sun will shine and the heat will be here(in Texas and even Ohio) and spring we refresh us all.