Monday, June 23, 2008

family drama.

Well, I had another busy weekend. We had fun, but the fun was mixed with a bit of drama and sadness.

We took a trip to Houston with some good friends. We all got rooms at the Holiday Inn Express and attended a huge food show Sunday at the convention center there. Denise and I hooked up last year when we both went to a similar food show in Dallas with these same friends of ours, so it was a special trip this time. An anniversary of sorts.

These friends are the same pool playin', chili cook-off folks you've seen in the pictures from Terlingua and Seguin. They teach cooking and restaurant management here on base, so for them the show was a professional gig. We were just taggin' along for the fun, and there was much fun to be had. Before all that though, I've got to do some venting. You'll forgive me if I rant a bit.

Mom dropped a bomb of sorts last week. Ever since dad died I've been standing by watching my family fall apart. My mother, whose income has been cut in half, is at odds with my jobless, deadbeat, useless, hippy princess of a sister. Up until dad died they were givin' her about $3500 a month to live on. Now mom has been tellin' sis that she's got to get a job and sis has been in a panic. They both use me as a sounding board, telling me the latest crap that's gone down. My sympathies lay with mom, but I also know that mom is mostly reaping the crop she's sown. It's just the sort of drama that makes me want to spend every weekend I can out of town.

I called mom about mid week to see how she was feelin' and found out that she'd decided after yet another $500 repair bill on the jeep to go ahead and buy sis a new car. After all the screamin' fights, after all the tough talk since dad died, sayin' she was done bailin' sis out, that sis would have to go out and get a job, she turns around and decides to do this. I couldn't fuckin' believe it!

Dad gave sis a nice, used red 4-door Jeep Cherokee back about ten years ago. He'd gone out and gotten it for himself after I got my own black 2-door Cherokee. He didn't want me to get it, but when I did and he saw what a great car it was he went out and got himself one. A few years later, when the car she was drivin' started to have trouble (from neglected repairs and oil changes and the like), he just signed his car over to her. He'd given her his mid-80s Cougar to drive years before, and I think he just wanted it back. He was always a Cougar guy. Owned several in his life.

She's been drivin' that jeep into the ground ever since. Burned out one engine just a few years after he gave it to her. Turned out she'd never changed the oil. Dad just paid to have a new engine put into it and bitched about it whenever she wasn't around to hear it.

That's the sort of thing dad always did. He was the man with the big pockets. He derived a HUGE amount of pride at being Mr.moneybags, and felt like he could always show us how much he loved us by makin' sure we all had nice cars to drive. The other side of that was that we grew up havin' things given to us, spoiled as hell, unable to do for ourselves when the time came to be on our own because we didn't ever get the chance to learn that we could do for ourselves.

Mom was the same way. Everything was always done for her. She never talked to a car dealer in her life until last year when she went out to get her new Buick. I was so proud of her. I can't tell you how scared I was the first time I went out to buy my own car! I was ignorant as hell and wishin' dad was there to bail me out, but he couldn't be. he wasn't really "dad" any more. So I did it myself and did a damned good job, deriving a HUGE amount of confidence and wisdom from the experience.

So mom decided that the three of us would meet at the car dealership there in Temple and see what we could do. Mom had seen the ads for the Volkswagen Jetta, offering payments like $198 a month for a new '08 model. She was thinkin' she wouldn't be able to afford anything more. The deal was called off though when mom got up Friday feelin' puny. I was thinkin' maybe it was stress, but she said not.

Anyway, the appointment was moved to this morning. I got up and drove over there to be the big guy behind the little women, only to find my sister really running things, the way she always does. She just keeps talking, chattering away about stupid shit, eventually driving everyone around her to distraction and embarrassment. I glared at her a few times and told her to shut up, but that never works. Just sets her off even more.

I leaned over to her once when the salesman was out of the room and told her that this guys JOB is to fuck us out of as much money as he can, and that she should shut the hell up and let mom do that talking. She just glared at me and said something about how I was just jealous that she was getting a new car.

After about an hour of sitting around while the salesperson fidgeted and shuffled papers I told them I had to go. I had to get to work by 11:30. So I left the two of them there in the office, praying that mom would be strong. I wanted her to get up and walk out of there and let me take the time to look around for a good deal. I told sis that if it was up to me she'd be gettin' a friggin' used Hyundai. In the end I just drove off, turnin' the music up LOUD and lit a cigar.

After my lunch time classes were over I called mom to see what had finally gone down and found out that she'd eventually given in to my sisters squealing and bought her a brand new Pontiac. Red two door Vibe with a sun roof and automatic everything. Turns out in the end mom's gonna have to pay $270 a month. She said something about docking sis the money from what she gives her for rent a kibbles each month, but I don't believe it. One good thing... Mom talked the dude into giving her $2000 for trading in that old Jeep. Nice work there.

It's all a mess, but there's nothin' I can do about it now. I'm just ashamed of my deadbeat sister, and I wish my dad had done a better job preparing her, and me, for the real world. I wish we'd been poor. Poor folks have no choice but to learn about the way the world works. Hell, that's how dad learned about things. I guess he wanted us to have a better, easier life than he'd had. I guess that's backfired a bit.

Anyway, I'll tell ya about the booze up/Food Show later. it was fun. Take care. Cheers.

15 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

When my sister went to buy a car she drove to the Mercedes Dealer and said something like, "How much for the brown one over there?"
Her dog has since ruined the leather interior completely and utterly...

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

The only problem with killing her is that you've already said to much about your weaponry!

At least my brother has a job, which means he asks my mom for much less!

david mcmahon said...

It's always a tricky equation, Big Fella. The hard part for you would be to maintain equilibrium while trying to sort things out.

You know my thoughts are always with you and your family ....

BRUNO said...

My youngest sister is just like this---except there's NO ONE around to "suck" off of anymore, so now she's your typical, outdated deadbeat, as well.

NOT TO BE CONFUSED with my late, older sister---she could sell hot-sauce in hell, and STILL turn a profit!

I guess even GOD doesn't give-up that easily. Maybe that's why he took my older Sis, and left our other one here for yet another "second-chance" or somethin'.

Not for ME to judge, dude...!

Lin said...

Oh Jeff, I hate to hear that Mom is still rolling over for her. You know she's not going to change either - spoilers and enablers rarely do. You might have to have it out with your mom, that if she doesn't withdraw the teat once and for all for the long term well-being of your sister, then you'll have to bow out because it's like banging your head on the wall and you don't need that stress.

Now it makes me glad that I bought my own first bicycle ... and every vehicle since then. You usually don't neglect things that you had to bust butt for in the first place so I hope your Mom comes around and let's your sister grow a spine of her very own soon before Mom gets sucked completely dry.

phlegmfatale said...

your sister is such a piece of crap for leaning on your mom at the time when your mom should be most concerned about providing for herself. Your sister is clueless.

Jerry in Texas said...

You can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family.

I feel for you, I do. But remember I have four times as many sisters as you.

mrsnesbitt said...

Phew! I really read this with a rising feeling of annoyance with your sister, even though I have never met her. My SIL is indeed a Drama Queen and I find her quite annoying at times, to put it bluntly. 2In 2005 her marriage broke up and she spent every Saturday night here with us. We helped and coaxed her through the dark times. She met somebody and the relationship has developed, they are now a couple. many a time she would say how envious she was of our life style....really simple...we just have a simple stay at home life and try to get out on the motorbike on a Sunday, she always said how content we were....except now she has jibes at our "night's in" when she and her partner are going to live gigs etc...I get the remark "Oh you'll be staying in again wont you?" Bitch!

Sorry to rant, but I did understand your frustration.
I am an only one, no brothers or sisters! Boy am I glad!

Suldog said...

I feel for you, big man, believe me. But, short of giving your Mom a "her or me" ultimatum, or something similarly drastic, what can you do? My advice - easy when I'm not in the situation - is to not let her get to you. Assume that your Mom knows how much she (your Mom) can handle, and just let it slide off your back. I know that's not easy, but it's probably for the best.

Just my two cents. Of course, Mushy's idea concerning weaponry has merit, too :-)

Indrani said...

It is a big lesson on parenting... came via David's.

none said...

Yikes. My grandmother has been doing the same thing with my Aunt and Uncle for the last 20 years. No matter how much she gripes about it she keeps on giving what she doesn't have to bail them out.

It's just one of those things that we can't do anything about. Just make sure you are put as power of attorney so your sis doesn't make a mad grab for cash.

Sorry you are having to go through this it is indeed hard to watch.

Anonymous said...

Sympathise, I really do. I have a very similar situation with my little sister. Gets everything handed to her on a plate, shows little gratitude, just has a moan if it's not what she wants.

Take care, CJ xx

Kate said...

I'm late to the party here....but just how old is your sister???? No offense, but it sounds like she's about 15.

Welp, until she gets a clue, or your mom does a bit of "tough love", nothing is going to change. Been there, done that.... I was the "princess". :)

PRH said...

Family Drama...ain't it great?

Wait until mom passes on, the fighting over the will should be ugly.....but don't feel like the Lone Ranger, most of us face the same battles.

Unknown said...

My youngest brother still mooches off my mom, even after my step-dad passed away. Fortunately he at least has a job but they overspend and ask her to do things like pay for their kids' private school or help them get a new car. My mom bitches about ita ll the time but I told her that she's just enabling them. They've asked for money from me once and I told them no (if they truly were destitute, that might've been something else) and they've never asked again.