Monday, February 18, 2008

Had a great weekend.

I took dad to the Chinese buffet Friday night, and it was great. We'd had to call it off the previous Friday because of my Bronchitis, so I was really looking forward to it. I was also looking forward to dad reacting to my having shaved the beard, but he didn't even notice. It was a bit of a let down, expecting all the normal hoopla from dad, but he's too far gone now I guess, to remember those sorts of things. It breaks my heart to see him decline with age, but I love havin' him around and know that many of you would love to trade places with me. Mom noticed it, with some prompting, and I got her approval for the old baby face.



The folks out at work noticed it immediately, and some of them were thinkin' that Denise must have made me do it. I wanna make it clear that she didn't. She was shocked as hell, and just sat and giggled about the baby face for hours. She was talkin' about how everyone was gonna accuse her of robbin' the cradle. She'd gotten used to the beard, and liked the way it felt on her skin, but I'd gotten a bit tired of the look and curious about how I'd look without it. Now she's likin' the clean cut look, and even likes the stubble. I tell ya, I can't lose, but I've already told her that it probably won't last. I'll probably be shaggy again by the summer.

I got my taxes done Saturday afternoon, and then Denise and I went to a party Saturday night. She has some friends from work who live out in the country South of here have a sort of revolving party that switches from one persons house to another. We get with these folks about every few weeks or so. It's a pretty good time. This party had a Mardi Gras theme, so there was great music and lots of beads being worn, with the notion spread around that the person with the most beads at the end of the party had to show their tits. The host cooked great food, including grilled shrimp.

He put a pile of raw jumbo shrimp in a skillet filled with butter, garlic and Tabasco sauce and lemon slices. He heated it up on the stove and then cooked it in the oven for about 20 minutes. The butter sauce itself was unbelievable. Usually I don't enjoy shrimp if I have to peel them, but this was fun to dig into, and the old style wheat bread (home made style, from the grocery store) was great when dipped in the butter sauce.

After enjoying that as an appetizer, they busted out the Crawfish Etouffee over white rice, and the Scalloped Oysters, and the Crawfish Cornbread. I wanna tell ya, it was wonderful, and I got to eat all of Denise's share. She doesn't eat any of this good seafood. I know, crazy, but more for me. Can't complain. Denise and I left first, and I had the feeling that we were leaving just before the floor show got started. One old geezer was collecting beads so he could then flash his man boobs. It was good timing.

Sunday we slept in and then I decided I needed to get me some good Mexican food. It'd been a while since we went out and had a good time, what with me being sick and all, so we showered and headed down to Pappasito's in Austin, getting there just before the dinner rush.



You guys have been through this routine before, so you know what's comin'.



I ordered the spicy beef queso dip, and a Shiner Bock off the tap. Denise ordered a Strawberry Margarita. She says their Margaritas are the best anywhere. Their chips and dip are wonderful, and I usually fill up on these sorts of things before my actual meal arrives. Sunday was no different.



I splurged Sunday and ordered six brochette shrimp instead of the four you usually get. That butter sauce is killer, and makes the meal. It's mixed with garlic and white wine, plus other spices. You can see a shrimp sitting in it, marinading as I take a few bites of my enchiladas.



I had the combination enchiladas (one beef, one chicken) and Denise had chicken tacos. We both had a second drink, and I ended up taking about 2/3rds of this plate home with me. It'll be great when I nuke it tomorrow for lunch.



In the end, she took the rest of her second margarita with her as we headed out Northwest on 183 to do some shopping at Whole Foods and get some ice cream at the Marble Slab Creamery.

This was our Valentines Day dinner, since we hadn't been able to have one on the day itself (we both had to work late). It was a great time. Denise nursed me through that nasty case of bronchitis and was sweet as hell all week long, so this was my way of paying her back. She's a sweetie, and deserves it all. We had a great time.

I hope you guys had a great weekend. Cheers.

13 comments:

none said...

Gald you're doin better. I sure miss pappasitos.I'll have to make it over there after looking at your food pics.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Sorry 'bout your Pops man...I hugged mom "bye" yesterday and walked outside to talk to my brother, who was visiting, and when I hugged him she said "Ain't I going to get a hug?" It's coming on slowly and I dread it. It's like you lose them before their gone, huh?

Great photos and of you two as well.

BTW...all the email to you keeps coming back undeliverable!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i just keep looking at you, and scrolling back for another look. i really like the new look! and really sorry about pop. really...

hugs, bee

Jerry in Texas said...

I know what you mean about your Dad. Today, Mom had her coat on. She was ready for school. I asked Dad if she was learning or teaching today (she was a teacher).

Papasito's rox! I really miss those shrimp, and the queso too!

Glad you both had a good Valentine's dinner, ya baby face ya!

david mcmahon said...

Did anyone ask you for ID? a) You look years younger and b) You look like a Hollerwood star.

Keep the beard off - and when I come to Texas, this is the joint we're going to eat at!!

All my emails to you have been bouncing back ....

Lin said...

Awww, you know you're on the mend when you dying for Mexican! That looked DEE-licious!

Yeah, it's sucks when parents cease to be Super Heroes. And then it really sucks when we finally become orphans. Love 'em while you can, lil bro.

Kat said...

That is my kind of joint. The food looks amazing!
Found you through David's blog. Nice place ya got here.
I must say, you do look much younger without the beard. Nice look!
You said your father is declining with age? Is it Alzheimer's? My dad has Alzheimer's and I know that soon we will have to find a nursing home for him. Such sorrow.

PRH said...

Hey, don't let that not to notice thing bother you to much..My mom is 83 and when I shaved off the goatee and "stash" for the first time in 25 years a couple of winter's ago...she didn't notice!! I could not believe it, but even some of the other family members at Christmas that year said..."I thought something was different".....that's why I grew it back.

Folks that have known you for years, sometimes don't even notice.

Jeni said...

I agree, it is so difficult watching someone who was once so vibrant, fully of energy, so intelligent, slowly waste away. Very hard to watch, indeed.
The food looked really great, sounded excellent too from your descriptions and wow -what a change from mega hairy face to "baby face." David is right - really does make you look years and years younger! Next thing ya know, you'll be getting carded when you order a beer!

Suldog said...

That's a good look, man. Honestly, it takes years off you.

Strangely enough, I've been growing a beard for a couple of weeks now, after being totally clean-shaven for the first time in years. I'll be writing about it tomorrow.

I'll add your Dad to my prayers. I know what it's like.

*Goddess* said...

I wondered why you looked so different! I like the beard, but I like this look, too.

GUYK said...

I shaved my beard one time about twenty years ago..one of my dawgs took one look at me and run...the other one bit me!

Suldog said...

By the way, FHB, I gave you a shout out on my post about beards. Thanks for the inspiration.