Monday, February 11, 2008

What was going on the year you were born?

Still puny, but maybe slowly getting better. Back to work tonight, probably. If I call in sick I have to find and pay my own sub. Screw that. I'll just take it easy. No big deal.

My friggin' Earthlink's been blockin' emails the last few days. I had to go into Webmail and delete like 300 emails that had been stored there. Storage space was full. Never go there. Only check email from home. Drama. Huge pain in the ass. So anyway, anything you might have sent in the last three days or so got ditched. Sorry.

Anyway, don't have it in me now to do something original, so here's something I found over at Hammer's place. Innocent fun, and historical.

In 1960 (the year you were born)

Dwight Eisenhower is president of the US. I remember him, barely, having lots of heart attacks.

Sit-ins being after 4 black college students in North Carolina refuse to move from a deli counter when denied service. Huge balls, those folks had. Huge.

A U-2 reconnaissance plane belonging to the US is shot down in the Soviet Union. 13000 miles inside Soviet air space. Major Oops moment, but they made it into a much bigger deal then it really was. Drama queens, the Russians.

Hurricane "Donna" strikes the East Coast causing over 100 deaths in the US and the Antilles. And then people moved back in and rebuilt those vacation homes, so they could be torn the shit up again, and again, and again.

John F. Kennedy defeats Vice President Richard Nixon in the presidential race. And then the first thing the Kennedy's did when they got into office... They had Nixon audited by the IRS. About a decade later the press and Democrats will vilify Nixon for trying unsuccessfully to do the same thing to his enemies.

Cassius Clay (who later took the name Muhammad Ali) wins his first professional fight. I loved him growing up. Totally cool. Courage personified, it seemed to me at the time.

Michael Stipe, Tony Robbins, Bono, John F. Kennedy, Jr., and Jeffrey Dahmer are born. Pretty cool company, accept for the last guy. Ah well, what can you do?

Pittsburgh Pirates win the World Series. Don't care.

Philadelphia Eagles win the NFL championship. Imps of Satan, fer sure.

Montreal Canadiens win the Stanley Cup. Who else?

Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho is the top grossing film. Scared the piss out of my mom and sis, and me too in time, but The Birds never really did.

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee is published. Great book, and movie.

The Beatles make their debut in Hamburg, Germany. They were all over the radio by the time I got old enough to know what I was listening to. Now I can hardly bring myself to listen to it. Overdone.

The Flintstones debut. Love the Flintstones. Huge love. Didn't get that it was the Honeymooners till much later.

3 comments:

none said...

My kids love the flintstones. that kind of cartoon is timeless.

Russia drama queens lol they still are.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Get better...you can do better than this!

Nancy said...

I hope you're feeling better soon. Hey.. I was born in '60 too.