Friday, August 29, 2008

Well,it's another Friday, and I haven't had time to come up with another road trip post...

So you're gonna have to wait a bit longer for that. Probably this weekend, but I ain't promisin' nothin'.

The new classes I started this week have overloaded my time and my ass is draggin'. While I try to get this schedule classes strait(six or seven classes a day), I'm also trying to work up an application for another teaching job.

There's a new campus opening up at a state prison unit in San Saba, and there's a full time gig in it for me if I take the job. Regular pay checks every two weeks and and a higher pay scale, based on a 12 month contract. I'd have to drive to San Saba from here four days a week (about an hour both ways), but I'd finally be a real full time Prof, after 17 years of teaching, and I'd be able to budget my money a little better.

I really don't want to have to drive all that way every day and deal with prisoners (done it before, in Gatesville), but you gotta do what you gotta do. I'll never be able to get a full time gig here, but maybe if I get on full time in San Saba I can eventually shift back over here. So I'm getting my foot in the door.

I'll probably still be able to teach evening classes on base during the week, but the full time salary I'll get will mean that those classes amount to extra money. Maybe shoving me up into a financial position where I can start payin' things off for real. That's what I'm hopin' anyway.

In the meantime, I'm gonna go to Salado to get my hair cut today and then Denise and I are plannin to head up to Temple, as per usual, and take Mom out to eat. Probably BJs this time. We haven't been there in a while. My sister's been pissin' and moanin' lately about wantin' to come with us but none of us want to have to deal with the drama. We'll see what happens.

After dinner and visiting with Mom, "D" and I might head over to Academy and watch a high school football game. It's that time of the year of course. I used to enjoy doin' that with Dad.. You remember those posts? The few times that Denise went with us she really loved it too, so why not keep the tradition going? We'll probably split the difference between Dad's old school and the kids I teach down in Florence. So long as we don't have to drive too far to get to the game, it'll be fun.

So you guys (the one's with jobs) have a wonderful 3 day weekend and I'll see if I can get some time this weekend to get the road trip goin' again. Cheers.

4 comments:

Chuck said...

Hope y'all have a fun relaxing weekend too!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Best of luck on your decision...don't forget to consider the wear and tear on your car.

Yeah, 3-day weekend just means Steve will be off to party with us. For the rest of us, just another day!

GUYK said...

Well, one thing for sure..if you take a job teaching at the slammer you will have a captive audience

FHB said...

Chuck - We did. Sucks that it's over.

Mushy - Workin' on it. Hear ya on the wear and tear. I put LOTS of miles on my jeep drivin' back and forth from Temple for a few years. I figure the Toyota will take it well. But hey, if it wears out, I'll just have to trade it in on a GT.

GuyK - Very true dude. Did it before, at a prison unit in Gatesville. Just another gig. You even get days off now and then when they get locked down.