Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I've got a mission.

Talked to my neighbor the other day. He's a grizzled old vet, Korea and Nam, in a wheel chair from some sort of crud that he picked up after getting out (maybe). Conversation on a recent gun show moved to old times, and he tells me that he's still got the knife he used on the first man he ever killed, in Korea. Ran into a North Korean in the middle of the night. One walked away. I ask him if the bayonet was on the end of his rifle at the time and he says "Nope". Cool! Tells me he's got the knife but no sheath. I tell him they are easy to find. He asks me to see if I can find one. His wife brings the thing out wrapped in foam, secured with tape. Hands it to me like an old religious icon. I take it out of the foam and check it out. Dig it.



Typical M-4 bayonet, manufactured by Pal Cutlery some time during WW2 or Korea. Someone really fucked up the cutting edge, but maybe that's what soldiers do in war, sharpening the standard issue stuff that probably arrives blunt as hell. I dunno. All I know is what he's told me. Would LOVE to get the thing tested to see if there's still any Korean DNA on it. Seriously, it looks like something some stupid kid picked up at a dime store and tried to sharpen with a brick.
Started looking on the web today, sites I know about, and found one place that had the right sort of sheath, but they were out of stock. I'll keep lookin'. I'm on a mission.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update: Found the sheath online and ordered it. It'll be here in a week or so. Can't wait to go over and hand it all back to him. Fun.

12 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

I believe all the Korean-era manufactured stuff was plastic-handled, not that they didn't have WWII manufacturing surplus to issue alongside it, and also that PAL was a WWII first-production maker.
Heh, I think that might be a "Square groove grip using all the same size washers". Cunningham is The MAN about bayonets.
Here's more on the early production M4's of which that is one. Imperial made the most, then Utica, Camillus and Pal, Case, Kinfolks, and Aerial.
Kerwl!!

none said...

Damn did they put that blade on a grinding wheel?

FHB said...

dirtcrashr - cool man, that was great information. They have a picture in that second link of exactly the same sort of knife. it's been fun as hell researching this thing. I'm gonna have to go and get myself one now. You're right about it being WW2 production, and the square washers. Good eyes.

Hammer - yea, it looks like he just ran it over a curb a few times. No care taken at all. Expedience of war, I guess.

Anonymous said...

That's so cool! You're right, it would be interesting to do a DNA test, but still...the old guys got a a good story and his memories. Glad you found the sheath.

Dick said...

It is a religious icon. Make no mistake about it.
Hope he likes the sheath.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

An icon for sure...you'll never know what that means to that old guy. He probably sell his wife before getting rid of that thing.

However, you may find yourself the proud recipient one day for this act of kindness, and for showing your interest.

It reminds me of my Ka-Bar that I used to field dress my first deer. I know it still holds DNA from that experience!

NotClauswitz said...

I came across Cunningham (and bought his book) when I looked to find out more about my old Krag bayonet. He is a regular at the CSP Knife & Bayonet Forum. I came across the square-washer thing while researching the beat-up old A.C.C (Aerial) M4 I got to go with my NPM Carbine. :-)

FHB said...

I've got the thing here on my dest, and I keep looking at it and it's scars, thinking about it's possible history. Amazing. Was using a big book a buddy loaned me to research it; Bruce N. Canfield's Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine. Was leafin' through and found a picture of the exact knife and sheath. That's how I was able to figure out the manufacturer and what sheath to get. After looking at it again, I see that it says this is clearly a WW2 issue knife. I'm gonna have to look at the next gun show I go to and see about getting myself one. Smitten!

Dick said...

I pulled out my old Kabar a few weeks back and Kelly said I held it with more love than I hold her.
What can I say?
The scars and history we have together are unforgettable

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Deep Purple...you can still find that on an old jukebox in a pizza place near here...something primal about that beat!

NotClauswitz said...

A good condition Case will set you back several Hamiltons, or an Imperial might be cheaper since they made the most of 'em, 917,894. http://tinyurl.com/3x4ts4
But watch out for the too-new reproductions if you want WWII DNA - or not if it matters.

phlegmfatale said...

That's so cool of you to find that sheath for your neighbor - I'll look forward to reading the update!