Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Started a new semester yesterday, after a good week off and a very pleasant weekend.

I started four new classes on base this week, as well as a new online class. I've got about 45 people in each of my lunchtime history classes (11:30-12:30 and 12:30-1:30 every day), with more wanting in them every day, and I've got about 30 to 35 people in each of the two government classes in the evening (7:30 to 10pm M/W and T/Th). A lot of the folks in my lunchtime classes took the other half of the history last time and are back again. It was like old home week when I walked in the first day. Lots of laughs. Most of my students are soldiers or retired soldiers or family/dependants. The online class has only 17 people in it, but it might grow. I'll be working on that one this week, trying to come up with new exams. I may eventually use those new exams in the conventional classes too. Spring them on the folks in the evening classes on base. I LOVE test day!

Anyway, this last Spring Break was a great time off. It started with two nights and good times at Sweetwater.



That was a great trip, with great friends and lots of great food.

Then on Wednesday, I took a trip to Ft. Worth to spend the day and have dinner with some other, older friends. I've known this guy for about 20 years, and his wife since they got together about 15 years ago.



We've been on a dozen or so hiking and/or canoe trips, and these are the folks I rafted the Colorado with in 03 and 05. Click on the link over at FlickR to check out more of those shots.

The week was rounded off with a fabulous Sunday, beginning with a trip in the morning to Austin to walk through a gun show (resulting in the acquisition of a new toy), and then a trip up to Temple to eat southern fried chicken and home made peach ice cream at moms, and ended with two awesome episodes of Rome back to back on HBO at my sisters place in Belton. That was a full day.

I walked into the gun show thinking it was about time for somethin' to happen. I was officially designated as legal and dangerous by the great state of Texas a while back, but I had yet to pop the cherry on the old CHP card. I needed to get it over with. The main reason why I wanted one of these things is because it allows the holder to buy new toys without having to go through a potentially tedious background check every time. You're considered preapproved due to the check they do on you before they give you the card. It makes for a very convenient purchasing experience, so I was lookin' forward to my first time.

I walked into the place and found an old guy I'd bought several things from in the past. He's always situated with his table right there at the door. He builds very nice rifles from a mixture of foreign and American made parts. His manufacturing standards are high, and his stuff usually includes things that you don't necessarily find elsewhere. He also has a cute little pug dog that he brings up to the shows from Houston. It snoozes there on a pillow under the table. I grew up with pugs, so it's sometimes hard to tell whether I'm more excited to see the pooch or the firepower.

Anyway, it's cool when you find what you want right off the bat and then get to walk through the place for an hour and see if you can come up with anything better. The excitement builds to a crescendo. I walked by, got his attention and pointed to one rifle, saying "don't sell that one till I get back". He smiled and nodded in recognition, then turned back to his other customer as I walked on.

I walked out of there about 30 minutes later with a bright, shiny new M 70 (Yugoslavian version of the AKM, built on an American receiver).



It has a thicker receiver giving it a more sturdy shooting platform. Early AK-47s had milled receivers (like an SKS), and were steadier and more accurate shooters. A normal late model AK has a stamped receiver, and many have a problem with the receiver warping during sustained firing. This one doesn't do that quite as much because the receiver wall is thicker, and so it has a reputation for being a more accurate shooter. I just think they're cool as hell, and I've wanted one for a while. Many of the ones I've seen on the market have been thrown together imports or ridiculously expensive pre-ban guns. This one was the best of both worlds; well built and affordable. Couldn't believe my good fortune. I threw it in the trunk and zipped back up north towards home, giddy like a little girl.

I stopped briefly at Rudy's BBQ in Roundrock to pick up some Jalapeno sausage and creamed corn. Mmmmmm! I'll eat off that stuff all week long. I needed to be at Mom's by 3:30 so I could put the Ice cream maker together and get it started. Mom makes the cream and then gets me to taste it to see if it is sweet enough.



She pours it into the cylinder, which I then place in the wooden bucket. I attach the motor, pour in the ice and rock salt, and set the thing to turning, refilling the ice and salt as needed.

The routine for doing this is probably in my DNA. I remember when I was a kid and my job was to sit on the thing while my dad cranked it. It was a sign of growing up when I shifted to cranking and took over that job. It was SO COOL when they put a motor on that bastard. The ice cream tastes just as good without the sore arm. Mom's chicken is famous with everyone I know. Has been for as long as I can remember (you may need to put some sort of plastic sheeting over your keyboard to ketch the drool from looking at these pictures... fair warning).



She's got it down to a science. It's actually amazingly easy to make, but it never tastes like moms when I do it myself. What can you say. After about 20 minutes, the ice cream maker shuts down, indicating that the ice cream is frozen, and I bust it open, lift the cylinder up out of the ice, and parcel out the portions.



I've inherited all these duties from dad, who sits back now and waits for his plate. Mom gets the first plate, of course, and dad is second.



He sits in his TV chair and usually feeds a bit of chicken to one of the cats. Their new dog now gets her share along with the others. He's a pushover. Don't know where this guy came from, 'cause the guy that raised me was a cold hearted son-of-a-bitch. I guess we all mellow with time. Sis gets the third plate, and I get the last. There's a method to this madness. Just in case yer thinkin' "Aw, what a nice guy", it turns out the sweetest ice cream is always in the bottom of the bowl. It just so happens. Total coincidence.

After everyone's had their fill, I start the dishes soaking in the sink...



And then its relax, maybe nap, loosen the belt and let the belly expand. The queen retires to her easy chair, and I eventually drive home with my share of the spoils.



A good time was had by all. At one point in the process I was talking with sis about the two upcoming episodes of Rome. She said that we'd probably get to see Mark Antony in the buff, suckin' on a huka (she has the hots for James Purefoy).



I said, innocently, that we'll probably also get to see him fall on his sword. She erupted in outrage. How dare I spoil it for her. I'm like, "didn't you see that movie a dozen times?" I don't think you can really be accused of divulging things that should be common fuckin' knowledge. Jebus, you silly cow. Read a book sometime.

We watched the two episodes back to back, and it was as good as I was expecting it would be. Can't wait for the end, but hate to see it come. I think about how they could continue the series and show us their HBO version of the whole Julian drama. But that's already been done so well in the old BBC series I, Claudius, so I doubt they'll go there.



Too bad. It would be fun to watch our two boys get old and live through some cool history.

Well, that was my week. Now the grind has begun again. It looks like rain all week, and I'm desperately needing to pull weeds and do laundry. And yet here I sit. Well It's late, and it all starts again early in the morning, so enjoy the read, and don't slobber too much on yerself lookin' at the food. Later.

12 comments:

none said...

You'll have to share that Chicken recipe with us it's not a closely guarded secret.

I like the AKM, milled recievers feel and look better at the expense of added weight.

My SAR1 is suprisingly accurate, even with cheap wolf ammo I was able to get hand sized groups at 100 yards without even really trying.

Looks like a good weekend and that ice cream made me drool.

Anonymous said...

Sounds and looks like a great week!

I'm with you on Rome. I've been loving that show since it started. Hate to see it come to an end. Wish they could find some way to continue it.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Well, I drooled at least three times - the new toy, the chicken, and the ice cream. Boy, what I wouldn't give for some homemade cream right now.

I like to hear about your visits home...they be good people.

HottCops said...

Of course YOU love test day...you don't have to take 'em.

And I agree with Hammer, that chicken looks delish, how do ya make it?

Becky said...

Yeah, the last two eps have been pretty good, but I was kind of disappointed that they jumped so much time and didn't even show Cleopatra and Antony getting together. What do you think of the way they're portraying Cleopatra? I guess she's been a little more impressive in the books to me than she is on the show.

Dick said...

Yep, I remember the day very clearly when Dad brought home the electric ice cream maker.
No more sore arms and it tasted the same. I was in heaven.
Sweet rifle.

Christina RN LMT said...

Thanks for the drool warning!
I guess I'll have a popscicle now, not that it can compare to HOMEMADE PEACH ICE CREAM...sheesh.

FHB said...

Hammer -- I'll post something later about the process. It's tricky. I have an SAR2 that I've modified to look like an early AK-74 (see the last shooting post), and I'm looking to get another (ether a 1, 2 or 3), but I want to get it from a guy at a show, rather than a dealer. Have plans to tinker with it a bit. Nothing too illicit, but it should turn out cool.

Chuck - Love the hell out of it. Will probably pick up the DVD sets one day. Miss the hell out of Deadwood too. HATE the fact that HBO gets us hooked like this and then pulls it out from under us. Like the BBC, only making so many shows of Fawlty Towers, or Blackadder, or something.

Mushy - Yep, I was getting moist lookin' at that shot of the ice cream tub myself. That stuff is GOOD. Have the recipe for that stuff too. Ha!

Rebecca - Damn skippy. They're MUCH more fun to give than take. I joke with the folks about having a wide rep as a tricky bastard. Students accuse us of scheduling the exams for the same day on purpose, but I swear we don't It just works out that way. Welcome to college. Duck and cover, mother fucker.

Becky - Cleo always gets portrayed as a scheming woman, but you've got two factors driving that. One; men write this stuff. Two; the needs of the plot in the show. One of the main themes of the show (Rome) has to do with powerful women driving history from behind the scenes by manipulating the men. You saw a lot more of that in the first season.

Dick - I need to get a scanner, so I can post pictures from the 60s showing my mom sitting on the old crank model, with dad cranking. I can't remember when we didn't have this ritual. The one we have now is awesome. You've got to spend some money, but it's worth it.

Christina - drool on babe. It's the shiznit fer sure.

FHB said...

Hammer - thinkin' about putting together somethin' like this...

http://www.ak-103.com/Gallery_Images/AK-104/slides/100-0006_IMG.html

Anonymous said...

I do believe I gained a lb just looking at those pictures!!!

phlegmfatale said...

I have to say what a sadistic bastard you are for posting that photo of yer ma's heavenly-looking fried chicken. Now I'm grappling a powerful hankering for which there is no cure within easy reach. Rats.

Can you believe the bastards canceled Rome? I'm outraged. Crestfallen. It wrapped up beautifully, and the last few episodes were gripping, but call me greedy: I want more.

And I'm in your sister's camp - even with him crying, strung out on booze and weed and blowing snot-bubbles, I'd still suck the sweat of James Purefoy's balls. I didn't say that out loud, did I?

I didn't think so.

J said...

I love this post. For many reasons, but here's a few. One, I love posts that I can relate to. I remember that feeling like old home week.
Two, I love that food. I think that it looks like heaven. Especially the ice cream. Killin me.
Three, I like your posts about guns. I know, there is a ton, but you sound like a little kid in them.

Where are you?