Sunday, March 18, 2007

Rest In Peace "Crazy Ray".

I'm totally blown away. Can't believe I'm as effected as I am. It's like someone very close to me has died. I saw him at several games when I was a kid, and lots of times on TV, and even once up close at, of all places, a Lollapalooza concert at Starplex in '94. When I looked up through the rain and mud and realized who it was, I noted that all the other folks around there, mostly young people, were looking up at him with the same feelings I was having. There was a universal joy in seeing this guy who was like a happy fixture from our childhood. Then I thought to myself, what the hell is Ray doing here at Lollapalooza? Turns out he was wading through the crowd, making and handing out balloon animals for a few bucks to the concert goers. I thought at the time, it must be hard making this "Crazy Ray" thing pay. Boy, I was right.



I can't remember a football season without him cheering on the Cowboys, but I hadn't seen anything about him in a long while. I guess he's had health and financial trouble lately. Folks in Dallas came to his aid and got he and his wife of 53 years a house and some money to help pay their bills. Anyway, his troubles are over now. The folks at savecrazyray.com reported that he died Saturday morning at a hospice, peacefully in his sleep, surrounded by his family. God bless him, and his widow and his family. Dallas really needs to do something big to remember him. Come on Jerry, do something cool.

8 comments:

Editor said...

got you linked in what I think is a funny story

FHB said...

Hilarious. Thanks for the attention.

Editor said...

would you be interested in exchanging permanent links?

Dick said...

Shit... If you two start taking warm showers together or something, I'm gonna have think some things over ...

RIP Crazy Ray. ou were a good'un.

FHB said...

dick - yea, like where you might find the pictures, ya sick fuck.

editor - sure man, no problem. No tongue though.

Now yer wondering what sort you've fallen in with aren't you? Don't sweat it. Check out some of the links in Dick's posts, to know real fear.

Editor said...

I checked him, he also owes me a review of my site (a good review of course) He might have forgotten.
Will add you tomorrow. Thanks, got some gun pics you might like later.

Dick said...

Actually Editor, I wrote your review, just never posted it.
I'll email it to ya.

phlegmfatale said...

Bless Crazy Ray - what a joy he was!