Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Well, I've been tagged...

So you know what's comin'. Anyway, this one sounds fun and interesting on its face, but the grit is in the details. Mrs. Phlemmy...



(Not really her, but I think it captures her spirit excellently) over at Fatal Abstraction has tagged me to go to this site and check out the top-40 tunes of the year I turned 18, pick five of those tunes and then tell you how they effected my life.

Sounds fun and easy on the face of it, till you look at the list from 1978. Jesus, it's almost NOTHING but disco, dance drivel. So embarrassing.

So, I've devised a variation, in defense of the graduating class of 1979; A list of the five top-40 "hits" that I can hold my nose and admit to have actually liked, and also a list of the other music most of us really listened to on great "album rock" stations like KZEW, "The Zoo", back in those better, more innocent days in Ft. Worth.



~~~~The Zoo freaks live on baby!~~~~

After all that, I've got to tag five more suckers...
so live in fear.

So here we go.

1. How Deep Is Your Love, by the Bee Gees. You know, as much as I love to run down the whole disco era, I friggin' LOVE the Bee Gees. I started listening to them in England in the late 1960s, when they were the Brothers Gibb, and put out excellent hits like "Gotta Get A Message To You", and "Massachusetts". Love that early stuff. The disco/Saturday Night Fever stuff is excellent as well, but a guilty pleasure.

At the time, the rockers and disco kids were at odds, and I found myself somewhere in the middle. I mostly listened to KVIL in those days, which played all sorts of soft rock, soul and some dance music, as well as older stuff like Simon and Garfunkle. I was socially inept, having missed out on whatever stage of socialization it is where you learned how to get along with others and talk to girls, and make your way into adulthood, and the thought of dancing in public made me ill. Still does. Meanwhile, the "cool" kids were sitting in big circles out in the fields behind the high school and passing joints around, among other things.

I wasn't interested in that ether. My older sister did all the chemical experimentation in the family, hers and my share, and then some. Growing up between the two domineering personalities of dad and big sis, both insisting that their way was the only way, I found that if I wanted to be myself and not end up feeling like I was living in someone else's shadow, I had to do my own thing. I did, but it didn't make me popular. Ended up with a very small circle of friends, mostly other nerds. You've all heard it before. Anyway...

2. If I Can't Have You, by Yvonne Elliman. Again, this is a great little disco number, and another guilty pleasure. First fell for her in the movie "Jesus Christ Superstar", when she played Mary Magdalene and belted out some great songs, like "Everything's Alright" and "I Don't Know How To Love Him". My sister took me to see that flick when I was 12 (same year she took me to see The Exocist - the bitch), and the music still thrills me. Loved that stuff. Yep, I'm into show tunes. There, I said it. God, this is embarrassing.

3. Miss You, by the Rolling Stones. Now HERE's something I can be proud to tell you about, another bloody disco record, this time by the Rolling Stones! What the hell? Yep, that's a disco beat, from the drugged out old farts who gave us "I Can't Get No Satisfaction", like 15 years earlier. It's no wonder buddy, puttin' crap like that out.

Otherwise, I loved that album, "Some Girls". My favorite cut from the album was definitely "Beast of Burden", and
I even loved the hell out of "Shattered". Not to be accused of being one dimensional, the Stones even put a country song on the album. Zip down to track number six next time you have the CD out and enjoy "Far away Eyes". Tong-in-cheek, but that shit is wonderful, seriously.

4. Baby Come Back, by Player. OK, this one I don't feel guilty about at all. Excellent soft rock tune by a band that was easily akin to
folks like Atlanta Rhythm Section, Hall and Oats, or the softer stuff put out by the Pure Prairie League or the Eagles. This is the sort of stuff I spent a lot of time listenin' to back then. Lots of spin time on KVIL, along with the likes of Roger Whittaker, ABBA, Barry Manilow, and Kenny Rogers. Eeeeh, I just had a shiver run through me. Jesus, have I become a snob or what? What the hell, I love that sweet old shit. Anyway...

Saved perhaps the most humiliating for last. It's 1978, I think it was the Grammy Awards, Barbra Streisand walks out of the curtain and there's applause, and then Neil Diamond walked out on the other end of the stage, and the place went nuts. They knew what they were in for. Here it is. Check it out for yourself.



5. You Don't Bring Me Flowers, by Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond. I know, she's a total asshole, but come on guys, she sings her ass off. And ya gotta love Neil Diamond. How cool was he? What a great duo this was. Yep, I love the hell out of it. Hell, I even loved Yentl, but don't ask me to take her politics seriously. Friggin' singers should stick to what they do best. Why do so many of them think that the rest of us are gonna give a damn what they think about politics just because they're famous for being able to keep a tune?

So, now that you've seen what the top-40 had to offer, the question is, what were we actually listening to back in 1978? Think back...

ELO had released "Out Of The Blue" in '77, with a whole slew of excellent tunes on it like "It's Over", "Mr. Blue Sky', and "Wild West Hero", not to mention the cool instrumental "The Whale". Wore that 8-track out in the old AMC Hornet! Neil Young had released a double greatest tunes (not hits) album called "Decade" in '77. I used to put that on the stereo and let it run over and over. He also released "Comes A Time" in '78, featuring the excellent tune of the same name. The Eagles were in the midst of a dry spell/break up. They'd put out "Hotel California" in '76, and it was still in regular circulation on the album rock stations. "Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air"... Sis had to clue me in to what the hell that stuff was. I guess I missed out on somethin' there, but what the hell. You can't go back.

Pink Floyd had released "Animals" in '77, Which I love, but we were all still obsessed with "Dark Side of the Moon". "The Wall" wouldn't come out till '79. Fleetwood Mac had released their classic album "Rumours" in '77, and the radio stations were still wearin' that one out in '78. Led Zeppelin was in the midst of a long dry spell. They'd put out the mostly unsatisfying album "Presence" in "76, with the excellent track "Achilles Last Stand", but The Zoo, our local album rock station (God Bless 'em) was still giving much more air time to their earlier stuff, like favorites "Black Dog", "Whole Lotta Love", and "Stairway To Heaven". The Band released the Martin Scorsese film "The Last Waltz" in '78, with a corresponding album set. Levon Helm and Robbie Robertson, et al. I still can't get enough of that stuff. Check out the DVD if you've never seen it. Pure bliss.

Journey released their excellent album "Infinity" in '78, and Boston released their less than excellent, but still heavily listened to album "Don't Look Back". Thing is, groups like Journey and Boston were great in their time, but they were increasingly being left in the dust by new, harder, edgier sounds that were sneaking into our consciousness. I'll never forget, goin to see Journey in concert in '78 and being totally blown away by their lead up band, AC-DC. Those guys, with their original singer, rocked the place so hard we were ready to go home after thirty minutes. Unbelievable, and just a taste of what was to come later.

The Sex Pistols were churnin' things up in England in '77, and came to The States for an explosive tour through the south (cheeky of them) in early '78. They played a gig in Dallas, and I think another at Billy Bob's in Ft. Worth. They didn't survive the tour though. The lead singer heralded the end of the band at their last gig by asking the audience "D'you ever get the feeling you've been cheated?", and then dropping the mike and walking off stage. Wanker! Another group of Brits, Queen, had put out "News of the World" in '77, with the transcendent duo of "We Will Rock You - We Are The Champions". I'll never forget hearing that drum beat for the first time coming out of the 8-track system in my buddy's Pinto. They put out "Jazz" in '78, with the tune "Fat Bottomed Girls". Love the hell outa that one.

The Cars
released their self titled debut album in '78, with amazing stuff like "Good Times Roll", "My Best Friends Girl", "Just What I Needed", and my personal favorite at the time, "Moving in Stereo". These guys were labeled "New Wave", but they rocked like nothing else. I guess New Wave was packaged Punk, only the musicians actually knew what the hell to do with their instruments. The Police put out their first Punk/New Wave/ Reggae record "Outlando's D'Amour" in '78, with the amazing song "Roxanne". Blondie put out "Parallel lines" in '78, with the tune "Heart of Glass".

So, there was some great shit on the radio, and blarin' through the headphones and the 8-track back in 1978. Don't let that top-40 dance crud fool ya.

So, who do I tag with this little baby? Yea, you thought I'd forgot didn't ya? Well, Mushy's a huge music guy. Should be interesting. lets go with the Goddess. I bet she's got interesting stuff to say. Lets lay it on the Hammer, when he gets back, and Kevin over at the Brown Valley . They're both always interesting. And finally , last but never least, lets tag the Shrink-wrapped screamer. Those last two should give
us the British take on things. There, we should have an interesting mix of eras and influences there.

Well, that's enough of that, by God. Sheesh, I'm outa here. I've got Zep blarin' on the speakers and it's air guitar time. You'll have to excuse me. Later.

14 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

Wow - this was fantastic, FHB! Yeah, there was so much amazing music that year. Yes, of course, Babs sings her balls off - only a moron would deny that she's talented. I prefer Neil Diamond, though. Yeah, Boston was a superb album. What about Breakfast in America by Supertramp, or was that 79? Anyway, it WAS a golden era for a lot of music one can look back upon without embarrassment. WOOHOO! Well done.

I'm glad you let it marinate and came around to posting this list - it was fun to read.

FHB said...

Oh shit! I knew I was gonna leave something out. Yea, Breakfast In America was/is wonderful. There's no telling what else I missed. Oh, Keith Moon died in 78, so the Who went down the tubes. I meant to put that in there. Thanks for the opportunity. It was fun.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Ha! How apt, I saw The Who in concert last night, and the first thing I see when I open my laptop is this. You really are a bastard, aren't you?

Ater reading this little thesis, how can I possibly follow it? Well thanks, my friend, I'll do my pathetic best - and I certainly owe you one. This is a wonderful post, sent me on a trip down memory lane (shudder).

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

YEAH BUTTHOLE! How can we follow that!

Great vid clip...a standing ovulation for the nose and my man, who stole the spotlight!

Damn...just as I was trying to decide on my blues selection this week...and it wasn't easy deciding. Now, I have to worry about this. I'll probably have to get drunk tonight and work on to make it a third as interesting as yours.

FHB said...

Aaah, then adulation of the crowd. No pressure. What are the odds that your years top-40 hits were as dull as mine. I had to pull somethin' out of my ass to make up for that. I had to think about it for a few days. Had to try to come up with some way to avoid talking about loosers like Andy Gibb, who had about 3 or 4 #1 hits in 78. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

FHB,
We're about the same age. I was born in 1960 and graduated high school in 1978. I planned my 25th high school reunion a few years back. The DJ asked if I wanted to play songs just from our senior year. I said, "God no. Play just a few hits from that year, and then onto other music."

People who say they like 70s music (usually older or much younger than us) do not remember some of the really, really bad stuff. You done good, sifting through the rubble.

NotClauswitz said...

1976 - Good Lord! Gaaak! Damn I'm glad I never listened to f*ing AM radio, I didn't even know many those songs existed? Theme From S.W.A.T. - Rhythm Heritage WTF?!?!
Some was overplayed crap you couldn't f*ing avoid, like Play That Funky Music - at least Steve Miller made it to one... Next time around I'll just duct-tape my headphones and cassette palyer to my head in a box, like they do nowdays since the Walkman emerged...

FHB said...

Oh man, I've got the theme from S.W.A.T. on a 45 around here somewhere. That was the shit, for about a month. And steve miller was excellent. Yea, like the clothes, the pop music from the 70s was in a moment of it's own, largely better off left there.

NotClauswitz said...

I didn't have a record player or a collection of music. I listened to the local FM college radio station instead, and whatever I couldn't avoid hearing when my older brother locked himself in his room and turned up the volume. I went overseas in '75 to escape and missed a lot, so a lot of that stuff I don't associate with that year either.

Kevin said...

Dude, I may have you beat. I turned 18 in 1989, and the list from that year stinks to high heaven. Milli Vanilli is on there like 4 times! Paula Abdul, bunch of hair bands... bleh... Thanks for the tag - I think - it's gonna be a couple days though, and I may have to pull some bands that I was into that didn't make the (s)hit list...

phlegmfatale said...

Speaking of abysmal 70s music - there WAS Junior's Farm, which makes my skin crawl. Oh, and I can't take much Canned Heat's On The Road Again - but it's an audio time-capsule, innit?

phlegmfatale said...

OK, I checked it, and you're off the hook. Breakfast in America was '79, but the single "Give a Little Bit" was a hit in 77. Cool stuff. I loves me some Supertramp. Prolly gonna listen to them as I drive out west this weekend.

Dick said...

Yep, LaBella and Rhody (sp) were always on in my car.
The good old days of my youth.

Redneck Texan said...

Zoo Freaks Rule Dude......

I had that sticker on the banana seat of my bicycle....and on a T-shirt I wore till it was in shreds.