Sunday, July 01, 2007

Another cool pic from the Astronomy site.




Explanation: Vertical cliffs of nearly two kilometers occur near the North Pole of Mars. Also visible in the above image of the Martian North Polar Cap are red areas of rock and sand, white areas of ice, and dark areas of unknown composition but hypothesized to be volcanic ash. The cliffs are thought to border volcanic caldera. Although the sheer drop of the Martian cliffs is extreme, the drop is not as deep as other areas in our Solar System, including the 3.4-kilometer depth of Colca Canyon on Earth and the 20 kilometer depth of Verona Rupes on Uranus' moon Miranda. The above image, digitally reconstructed into a perspective view, was taken by the High Resolution Stereo Camera on board the ESA's robotic Mars Express spacecraft currently orbiting Mars.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before
I read your post I thought, wow, melted chocolate artwork.

alphonsedamoose said...

FHB: I am waiting for the picture from the bottom of the crater when the little robot goes down

FHB said...

Yea, that'll be cool.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Yeah...I didn't read the post...went to get some chocolate!

david mcmahon said...

G'day FHB,

Yeah, I'm with Mushy - brought wonderful memories of chocolate.

Cheers

David

Anonymous said...

I'm Jones-ing for a Milky Way right now.

phlegmfatale said...

Mars looks like dessert! Or maybe sweetpotato casserole with marshmallows melted on top

FHB said...

Damn, and I'm the fat hairy bastard, and I never saw that. Hilarious.