Saturday, July 28, 2007

Bald Eagle State park (road trip diary - 6).



At about 6:30 this morning, Bob and I headed over to the little town of Avis to meet up with our friend Jim. Nice house eh? We all piled in his SUV and pulled his boat about 25 miles southwest to Bald Eagle State park, to fish in Foster Sayre lake.



We put the boat in...



As we motored out, Bob got his lines ready and set to go. Serious business.



The two master fishermen, who'd been here before, conferred on where to get the lures wet.



At one point I noted that Bob was smoking a different kind of cigar than yesterday.
We fished hard, for 4 hours. The weather was nice, though it got hotter and more humid as the day went on. Thing is, we didn't get any bites. Not even a nibble. Not even a follow. eventually, on a day like this, I'll bust out the small lures, little twisty tail worms, and go for sunfish... ANYTHING. But today we didn't even see bluegills. Just carp, and a few other things jumping now and then.


Then, just as we were set to pull out and go, Bob landed our only fish, a very nice sized small mouth bass, right next to the ramp where we put in originally.

We all felt better, and we fished a bit more intensively for a while, but eventually threw in the towel. Enough was enough. So much for fishing in Pennsylvania. Now I know why these guys go up to Canada all the time.
On the way back, we stopped for lunch at a local place called the Blue Chimney Restaurant. The grilled ham and cheese was very good.
The guys were a bit weirded out by my picture taking, but I said I was on a mission. I had to document things. Bob said "Well, you're not following me into the mens room!"



Check it out if you're ever up here. Not bad, and not pricey. We're napping this afternoon, and then lasagna, and a trip to the booze barn (not it's real name). More later. Cheers.

5 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

I just jumped over here form Mushy's place, you are leaving me with the impression that you like to fish....

I ain't got any booze anymore but stop by my place for a tall glass of iced tea, we can visit for a spell.

*Goddess* said...

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks you and Mushy taking pics of everything is hilarious...and strange! LOL!

BRUNO said...

Never seen that brand of cigar before. But judging by it's size and color, I'll bet it's got a very "robust" flavor, as they like to call it!

Robust, by any other name, is equal to "DAMN, what a bite!"

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Man, those guys look so unhappy...tell'em you'll be gone to Tennessee soon and having fun with someone that appreciates you!

Seriously...looks like fun...you'll be tucker out when you get back here.

FHB said...

Sarge - Cool. Thanks for comin'' by. When I get home and can surf on my own computer, I'll look you up.

Goddess - Yep. Makes me feel a bit weird, but I love posting the shots, so there you go.

Bruno - Bob's an expert, like you guys, so I trust his opinions. He's got a great catalog, JR Cigars. Go to jrcigars.com and check them out. Prices seem reasonable.

Mushy - Can't wait to get back down there. Wait till you see what I've got in the trunk.