Thursday, July 19, 2007

Summertime.

This is by request again, from that same good friend over across the pond who appreciates good music. Here are two contrasting versions of the same song. Both are golden, and unmatched. Nether singer can be topped. Immortal greatness. The first version is sung by Ella Fitzgerald, from a concert in Berlin in '68. There's a better version of the song on the album Ella in Berlin, which I have...

From a concert taped in about '57 or '58, released in 1960. But this video will have to do.



And now Big Brother and the Holding Company, featuring Janis Joplin, from an appearance in Holland in '68.



Of course, Janis' version speaks more to my generation, and knocks my socks off, but the quiet beauty of Ella's voice is unsurpassed. Apples and oranges. Hope you liked it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

FHB,

I had never seen either of those videos. Thanks for posting!

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

I love you! Janis has just knocked my invisible socks off.. brings back so many memories.. I was twenty-three, had belatedly bought her Antholgy album, and had also just purchased my first flat (moved in to bare floor boards and donated furniture). It was a hot summer, windows wide open, and Janis belting out "Summertime" on the turn table. Ahhhh, glory days.. (smile)

(Ella makes this her own, beautiful. It's hard to believe both are versions of the same song, isn't it?)

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Oh, another memory has come flooding back! It'll be in my next post.. music really does capture time, doesn't it? Thanks, bonny lad.

Lin said...

For that particular song, I'm with Ella.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Okay, so I've given up on ever posting Janis! Ha.

I did, however, enjoy both of these.

Thanks.

Bob's Blog said...

Yes, thanks for posting. I linked to this on my blog.

phlegmfatale said...

Ella's is one of the ultimate female voices of all time - incredibly feminine, even girlish, to the very end. Love her.