Friday, July 27, 2007

First fishing excursion (road trip diary - 4).

Well, the sun came out after about an hour of rain, and bob came home, and we ended up going out and catching a few fish.



We got the gear together and headed down to the river and Bob put the boat in while I drove the truck and trailer up and parked it.



He came back to get me and we were off. This is about the only fishing I get to do, so it's hilarious that as soon as I get back in the boat, it all comes back to me.





Within about 20 minutes I'd nabbed this little rock bass, which was followed to the surface by about a 2 foot cat fish. Freaked us both out, thinkin' that the cat was maybe about to eat the bass, and I could have had a real story to tell.



Cute little scudder, ain't he? I netted one of these about 20 years ago and raised it in an aquarium. Got to be huge, before it up and died on me. Life eh? Always seems to end in death.







Hook was in there deep, but I got it out and the thing swam off to live and make more fishies.



Eventually Bob got one too, in deeper water. We fished for about 4 hours, but then the sky started to look ugly, and we started to hear thunder.



So we decided to make it a day, and get the hell out of the water before the lightning began to draw near.



We got out of the water and back to his place before the rain came down. We got the boat back in the garage, and now we're showering and getting ready to go eat Chinese food and go see a movie. Gonna see the die hard sequel that everyone is raving about.

Tomorrow morning early, like 8am, we'll head out with another buddy and see if we can catch anything in a local lake. Couldn't be having a better time, chillin' out with my buddy, tellin' stories, smokin' Honduran cigars, and letting myself be corrupted by an older, wiser dude. This process will continue when I get back to Tennessee. Love it!

8 comments:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Man oh man that looks like fun!

'Course, when I bass fished I'd used that for bait! Ha...kidding.

We loved our first visit and so glad we were loved you as much as we hoped we would. We can't wait for you to get back, but don't know how much fun we'll be able to pack in. I've already thought of 6 things to cook, but with going out and burgers with the family, we would need 2 weeks!

We are heading up to Clingman's Dome tomorrow in prep for the Abram's Falls hike with you next Wednesday. It was terribly hot today on our Grainger County tomato festival trip, so we may be in for a sweaty hike!

Everyone...FHB is as lovable as he seems here in the blogsphere...he only plays a "bastard" on the web. I'm glad to call him my friend...hell, it was like going to pick up my brother Wednesday...I was really excited!

More to come...

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Damn...thought Bob was me for a minute...straw hat, cigar, I've got shoes like those, and a gut to match! I did a double take!

*Goddess* said...

Damn...thought Bob was me for a minute...straw hat, cigar, I've got shoes like those, and a gut to match! I did a double take!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that was you, Mushy! I looked at the profile--goatee, ceegar and hat, and thought, "When did he have time to go fishing with Mushy?!"

GUYK said...

I always did say a bad day on the water fishing beat a good day a work

BRUNO said...

At least we got you interested in a new way to celebrate being "a REAL man"---and that is a GOOD cigar!

By gawd, it took TWO of us to get you into the world of "Honduran-habits"---but in the end, good taste prevailed......!

FHB said...

Mushy - I can't wait man. Yep, that was a puny one, but it's really about bein' out there with a bud. We're goin' to some lake tomorrow to do serious fishing, and Bob is acting like I need to get ready to fish hard. Hell, I always do! And yep, he reminds me a lot of you. gave me the the same talk you did today, while we were out there on the river. It's amazing to benefit from all this wisdom. Cool as hell. The two of you would get along, I'd bet.

Goddess - Yep, he's like the yankee Mushy, though really there could only be one Mushy.

GuyK - yep, that's it man. Any day on the water, or river, beats about anything else you couls be doing. Well, almost anything.

Bruno - Yep, I've been smelling his cigars for 13 years, and now he's joinin' you guys in corrupting me. I'm loving it. We'll be smokin' tomorrow, to help keep the skeeters at bay. The deet will help too. Never without it.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

He isn't QUITE as handsome as Mushy, but he sure is close.. Oh, it looks idyllic hon, thanks for taking us with you!

Jerry in Texas said...

FHB,
I lived down river in Harrisburg from 1984 to 1992. It's beautiful country up there, ain't it?