Tuesday, January 15, 2008

How to make a Hazlett family Christmas treat...

I got to try this for the first time in Wisconsin. They have it every Christmas and acted like I wasn't gonna be one of the gang unless I went for it. It had me kind of nervous until I tasted it and found out it wasn't that potent. It's good stuff. Denise told me the other night she had a surprise for me. I knew what I was in for when I saw the punch bowl.



Here's most of the fixin's. One can of frozen lemonade, half a can of frozen orange juice, a jar of cherries, a quantity 7-UP (you decide), and the most important ingredient... most of a bottle of Southern Comfort Whiskey. You can do your own thing here. I mean, work on these measurements yourself. Make it to your own taste.



Thaw the frozen juices and mix in about 2/3rds of the bottle of SC, the cherries, and a quantity of 7-UP. You can also put in other fruits and a table spoon of lemon juice, for a tart taste.






Hard to take a clear shot when your doin' it with one hand and you're three sheets to the wind. You can also put all sorts of other stuff in there, but we were havin' the cut down version. We'll save the really fancy version for another day. After all, it ain't Christmas any more. It was GOOD. We'll probably make it a regular celebration.



We killed off most of it that night, and the rest the next. Give it a try. Come up with your own variation and if it's good, tell us about it and we'll give it a try. Hell, if your family has a similar tradition, tell us about it. Cheers.

7 comments:

Christina RN LMT said...

Add orange or lemon-lime sherbet...mmmmmm.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Before reading, I thought it looked like eggnog. I had a touch of that sometime during the holidays.

That sounded pretty good...I'll have to give it a try.

Yeah, ice cream would give it a noggy taste!

Chuck said...

Wow that looks/sounds good. I'll have to try it! But I'm sure it won't be the same without y'all holding up a glass and smiling in my kitchen!

PRH said...

My wife, being from Wisconsin, has a Badger State version of a Holiday Drink.....

Take the same 7 UP/Lemonade/Orange Juice and about 3/4 bottle of Brandy.....freeze for 2 days in the freezer...

To Serve:

I usually use a ice cream scoop, put in glass of your choice and add either more 7UP or more brandy(or both) to the slush.....needless to say, I add the more brandy part.....

Especially great if you have to go to a party, you really don't want to go to...I scoop out one of these in a large glass and add two fingers of straight brandy...gets me through anything or anybody.

Tequila Mockingbird said...

that sounds delFUCKINlicious!

Anonymous said...

Just like Pat, I grew up in Wisc and it was a staple for us around the holidays. Put everything except the cherries and 7-up in and put it in he freezer stirring it every couple hours to make it a slush, then scoop into the glass add a cherry and 7-up and whammo, good stuff. :)

Another thing we always did was a roast and spicy sausage in a crock pot with sauerkraut slow cooked for about a day til the roast falls apart, then put it on hard rolls with mustard. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Dusty

FHB said...

Christina - Oooh, that sounds good.

Mushy - I love nogg. This year I got myself a half gallon carton and spike it with some good booze when I partake. Maybe ad some of mom's left over peach? Mmmmm.

Chuck - You know, it is all about the foilks you drink with. Otherwise you're just a whiskey sponge.

Pat - THAT sounds cool as hell. Like a slurpy. We'll have to try that.

TM - Well, thanks for comin' by. Yep, it's delish.

Dusty - Ha! Thanks for commentin' buddy. It sounds wonderful. And that roast beef sandwich sounds wonderful. Thanks for comin' by.