Friday, January 04, 2008

Makin' Fudge at Christmas...

A Hazlett family tradition goin' Waaaaay back. They asked me if I wanted to stir the fudge, and tried to make it sound ominous (again, get your mind out of the gutter). I was ready and willing. Me loves some fudge. I'd be chillin' in front of the TV or playin' with the dogs when Denise would give me the old sign. No not THAT sign, the sign that it was time to take over the spoon.



Nothin' to it, seriously. The thing is to keep it goin', stirring constantly so that it doesn't burn in the bottom of the pan, until it gets to about 230 degrees. It turned into about a half hour of standin' over the stove. Kids stuff.



Meanwhile the lady of the house had sausage boilin' in a nearby pot (upper right) and sour kraut in yet another. We were gonna have dawgs for dinner and fudge for dessert, and I was ready to dive in. Good stuff.



When the cooks saw that the fudge had reached the desired temperature they poured a bag of chocolate chips into it and a huge jar of some sort of marshmallow like stuff. That's when the stirring got a bit harder, but still kids stuff. I got it all worked together and then we poured it into a pan to cool and solidify.



Then I was surprised and delighted to find out the real reward for doing all that stirring. I got to lick the bowl!



Woohooooo! That stuff was good. That's a naughty boy right there. And yes, my diabetes is doing fine, thank you.



Once it cooled and was cut into cubes they laid it out on this nice silver serving tray. It became a constant temptation. One that I had no problems satisfying. Hope you guys enjoyed that. I know I did.

Next, Christmas with critters.

14 comments:

J said...

Looks wonderful! I love having fudge at Christmas time, although I never make it myself. Good for you!

Chuck said...

Looks damn good. I'm just glad you didn't post any "packing the fudge" pictures! Yep, leave it to me to take things into the gutter.

none said...

Damn that fudge looks good.

You know if someone asked me to stir their fudge I would probably go into an uncontrollable laughing fit.

Diva said...

YUM!

Anonymous said...

Boiled sausage? I dunno - I want mine fried, smoked or grilled. And I am a descendant of an Englishman. About 5 generations removed so maybe that has something to do with it.

Anonymous said...

It looks so good! I know I should have made some for Christmas... Well it'a not too late! My son will thank you. (I'll show him your site.)

PRH said...

Had some kraut with those little wienners at our annual football bash at the friend's house on New Years....they were good, but I'm still tasting them.

H2o said...

FHB is such a cutie!!

Christina RN LMT said...

fudge=*drool*

Lin said...

Christmas fudge ... that sure brings back memories. And I vowed to not make any naughty fudge innuendos (especially after seeing that all the good ones had been taken already).
... but those bangers, that's open territory.

GUYK said...

Yep, I boil the sausage when I am fixin' it with kraut. And yep, I have
whupped that fudge pan for a while trying to get the stuff to harden. And licking the spoon and cleaning up the pan was the teat for the one who did the whuppin'

I can't eat that stuff anymore..my diabetes won't let me and I do kinda envy you that you can..

Christo Gonzales said...

good lookin' fudge....and why did fudge have to become a "blue" word?

bigbikerbob said...

Hi, I am an Englishman through and through, I also love my sausages grilled or dry fried (love em deep fried really).As for the fudge I love it, in lots of different flavours but am only allowed a piece now and then(Diabetic).Real "Devon Cream Fudge" wants a lot of beating.(Anybody fancy trying any they do mail it).

BRUNO said...

Now that FUDGE pic looks a helluva lot better than "General Ho's Sweet-n'-Sour" chicken---especially in colors!

Yeah, I'm diabetic, too, but if ya' do it right, that Splenda works about as good as "the real thing"---you just can't COOK it! Ya' gotta do it the COLD way!!!