Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Yipeee, SNOW DAY!

Woke up this morning and found a thin layer of sleet on the yard, the cats water bowl frozen solid, and one decent icicle hanging from the bamboo plant rod. This is what constitutes bad weather hereabouts folks. I wish it would really snow, but you can't have everything.


The weather forecasts last night predicted bad driving weather, and I gleefully watched the names of closed or delayed schools and business's scroll across the TV screen, looking for the two names I needed to see so that I could shut off the alarm and relax. They didn't show up. The folks I work for are notorious for waiting till the very last minute to make that sort of decision, or avoiding the decision at all and letting the army make the call.

so I was up early, getting ready to make the drive to Florence. Found my phone in my pants with a dead battery. I went to change it out, and found a message on there from the school counselor in Florence telling me they'd cancelled class. Yipeee! Three more hours of sleep. Went back to bed and woke rested, with four big cats in the sack with me, huddled together to stay warm (have the house set at 68). Went in to the base at 11:15 or so, past two bad accidents on the road. I did the 11:30 to 12:30, and got most of the way through
my 12:45 to 1:45 class when the building administrator walked in and said that the base was closing at 1:30. We all went "YEAAAAA!". Made a short trip to the closest Chinese food buffet and then back to the warm glow of this beotch.



Found the cats still slapped up in the sack ( I think the only person who lives better than these cats is Mushy. Check out his "Moochings" to see what I mean). And yes, that's my get-away gun over in the corner, locked and loaded. And yes, those cats are huge. That's a tall, king size bed they're sprawled out on.

Yer thinkin', "damn, the teachers have the same attitude about snow days that the kids have". Yep, we love the hell out of them. I remember when I lived in England or Missouri as a kid, where a snow day was REALLY a snow day, and we'd spend a stolen free day playing in the deep wet snow, trudging through the woods, making snow forts and shit. In Missouri, I remember being amazed at the first sight of
the ice on the trees. It looked magical. Inevitably my buddies and I would walk down to the creek and see if we could walk and slide on the ice. Sure enough, one of us would break through, but only to the knees. Mom still talks about us coming home to get dry clothes and then going out again. THOSE were the days. Now all I want to do is lay in bed with the cats and read. Times change.

Weather forecast looks like more of the same for tomorrow. Stay off the road if you're anywhere near here, and cozy up to someone or something warm. I'm gonna try to finish that book I've been reading. Later.

UPDATE; I just got the call. No school tomorrow morning ether. Sleet and snow are pilin' up. Yipeeee!

And dig this, just for jollys. Wait for the big finish.



Looks like an ammo dump or a tank cookin' off. And I think that's the "Rebel Yell" there at the end. Occurs to me that this is like one of those videos of some guy setting up a million dominoes to make a fancy design, only way cooler.

4 comments:

*Goddess* said...

Oooo, you have a nice looking back yard.

Dick said...

Heard on the news just a second ago that you guys were pretty much fucked.
That bed full of kitties looks awfully familiar. Your redhead looks identical to Peachy.

none said...

Everything shut down here, the kids are happy.

That redneck launcher is the shit.

It would have been a helluva prank to put that under someones car.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Loved the video, but I kept spittin' cat hairs as I watched!