Monday, June 04, 2007

I've been a bit busy of late, with this new semester, and the screw up with a few of my classes.

I guess it was inevitable, with me workin' for various colleges and tightly cross-scheduling things here and there, but I finally ended up with two classes at the same time, same night. Thought one was supposed to be this semester, and the second one would begin in 8 weeks. Nope, both this time. Damn! Tryin' to work it out, and I probably will, but it's gonna be a tense semester.

I'm still scanning old pictures from the family collections, and every once and a while I find somethin' that jumps out at me. I found this old post card that I'd picked up at the Kimbell Art Museum in Ft. Worth, years ago. Hell, probably 20 years ago.



Ooo, baby, baby. Nice eh? Meet Miss May Sartoris, painted by Frederic Leighton, some time around 1860. I love the way the red sash jumps out at you, and those eyes. Those eyes.

Oh, and remember that post a while back when I talked about the tour to Spain my family took in about '68, and the weird assed painting of the "female" with a beard, breastfeeding. Well, I found a shot I took of the painting at the time, partially blurred by the flash.



I'm sorry but that's NOT a woman. She's not only got a beard, but she's got a receding hair line. Please, look at the size of those hands!

Anyway, I was tryin' to come up with somethin' to post, surfin' YouTube for a quickie, and I came upon this little jewel.



Wasn't that cool? 500 Years of Women in Western Art. Love the way they all morph together. Anyway, I've got to go study for my simultaneous classes, so I'll check ya later. Cheers.

7 comments:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Oh baby, hike up your skirt and show me your world...it's that how it goes?

That morphing must hurt awfully...like in the sci-fi movies when the bones crack and pop and the skin stretches and the hair grows in and out! Ouch.

Seriously, very nice.

Kevin said...

Yup that was pretty cool. Were they in chronological order, I wonder?

Anonymous said...

FHB,
That was very cool.

Dick said...

Nice job screwing up the scheduling. Sounds like something I'd do.
Hope ya get it worked out, without going insane.

Lin said...

That morph show blew - me - away!
MANY thanks!

Lin said...

That painting of the old fart feeding a baby is still haunting me - I have seen it somewhere before. Did you take that at the Prado?

From an etymology perspective, now you have me wondering if the portrait of the Sartori girl with the red sash inspired the term "sartorial resplendency".

FHB said...

Ooooo, Sartorial? Love it. That would be so cool if it were so. It may have been the Prado. Somewhere in Spain. I posted about it a while back and looked it up. Check out this post...

http://fathairybastard.blogspot.com/2007/04/one-of-perks-of-being-service-brat-was.html

Think it was in Toledo, painted by Ribera.

Of course, at the time about all I saw was the boob, but it was freakish. HAD to be a practical joke. Imagine Ribera saying something like "Ha, that bastard, I'll show him."