Saturday, June 09, 2007

Spent Friday night doin' the usual, and then watching friends play in a pool tournament, and playin' with my camera phone.

Some of the folks I work with are big into playing pool in a league. We started playing together years ago, but my night classes keep me from being able to play in this official capacity...

OK, I SUCK AT POOL, but so do they, so that's NOT why I can't play in the league. I used to play a lot in college, but got away from it, and now all my angles are off. If I played more regularly I'd get better, but who wants to hang out in a smoke filled pool hall after a long sweaty day dispensing wisdom to the masses? And if I put a pool table in the house, which I don't really have room for, it'd just end up like the stair machine; covered in magazines and crap and cat scratched.

Anyway, I enjoy going out and playing on occasion and watching these folks try to be serious. They're in a tournament now that could conceivably end up with their team going to play in Vegas. Normally they play at an American Legion post in Killeen, and Thursday night I went over after work, with the razor, and took a few shots of the crew at practice.



This is Gina. She's a cute little number. An ex-student of mine (most of them are), she lives with one of the other team members, loves to get loaded while she plays, and loves to flash her boobs to her other teammates when ever they win... as a reward. SEE why I go, and why I had the camera phone ready? I'm not a team member, so I've never been privileged to experience the full monty, but seeing that I was taking pictures, she flashed the PG version to me between shots on the table, and shots of some horrendous Korean booze she's always swilling.



Those are some famous tatas around here, I wanna tell ya.



Every once and I while my buddy Dave slides in to get a squeeze (that's her boyfriend shooting)...



and to provide his professional advise on a shot here and there. Great fun was had by all, even though the musical accompaniment was being provided by drunk Korean karaoke singers at the other end of the bar. I wanted to toss a cue ball over there and bean that bastard after a while. I think we got out of there at about midnight, and like a good boy, I went strait home and to bed.

After class on Friday, and taking dad to our regular dinner/boys-night-out that evening, I took dad back to the house and headed out to the big tournament that was being held in Temple at the local American Legion hall.



Walked in and was hit in the head by a wall of 2nd hand smoke. Haven't experienced one like that in a while. To add to the issue, apparently the AC and ventilators were down. Hot as hell in there, but the music was MUCH better than before. Hard rock classics by folks like Sabbath and Skynnrd, mixed with the newer metal that the younger vets are into. Nothin' like it to calm the nerves and clear the head.



Happiness! My friends weren't supposed to be playing, but Dave ended up having to jump in and go a few rounds. He lost most of his games, but the other players in his team played better, and they ended up winning the match anyway. As a novice, I particularly enjoyed watching the heavy hitters.



The guy in the center with the hat was on Dave's team. He's really good, but he has a reputation for choking in the big games. This time though, he was screwed over by what I would call and Act of God.

First of all, these guys are REALLY good. If one guy misses a shot, the other guy is likely to just run the table and that's it. So the hat guy won his first game against this opponent, pretty handily. I was impressed. In the second game, he dropped a few balls in the brake, but then he missed one by a hair. The guy on the left started to make a run, but then he missed one by a hair. Mr. hat guy took over and started clearing the table, and had a short, easy shot to make in the process. Side pocket, direct shot with the cue ball only inches away. As he's lining it up, a grasshopper lands directly in the path of the cue ball.

To try to get a breeze going in the place someone had propped the doors open, letting the critters in. He shews it away, and it jumps into the side pocket. He goes to make the shot and as he is hitting the cue ball, the grasshopper jumps out of the side pocket and flits overhead, breaking his concentration, making him screw up the shot. I could have made that friggin' shot! Hilarious, but nothing they could do. The other guy took over and ran the table. That was it. Mr. hat guy lost the rest of his games and it was left to his wife to win hers, which she did, to give the team it's win. She was up against a young girl who played while listening to her Ipod, which was strapped to her arm. Must not have liked Sabbath.

Meanwhile, several other folks (including Gina) were over at the bar, getting loaded to the gills while the other team members played. When all the games ended and the place shut down, we went to get them, and we all made a trip to I-Hop for an early breakfast. Nothin' like midnight feeds with a bunch of drunks to put the right end to a day. Left there and got home finally at about 2am. I brought half my club sandwich home and had it for brunch when I rolled out of the sack at about noon. Tasted damn good after bein' nuked for a minute or so.

They're playin' again tonight, and I'll probably head over there when the sun goes down and it starts to cool off. Maybe they will have fixed the AC by then. Plan to head to Dallas tomorrow with friends to run through a gun show at Market Hall. Should be a full day. Hope your weekend is as much fun. Cheers.

9 comments:

none said...

That sounds like a hell of a good time. I used to play alot but now I suck.

Boobs for winners that's a heck of an incentive.

gives new meaning to the term "rack"

*Goddess* said...

Gawd, you and Mushy....cameras attached at the hip.

david mcmahon said...

G'day FHB,

Seen your moniker around on a few blogs lately , so I followed the link from Mushy.

Mate, you're not the only one who sucks at pool. Come down to Oz one day and you'll see how bad I am!

Thought that'd cheer you up no end!

You take care now matey

Cheers

David

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Ah ha...David has come around I see...good man...we need to go down and see him sometime!

Love the post of your night live and the pictures - keep carrying it man...don't listen to Goddess!

Had a good time at the blog fest tonight...more on that later.

FHB said...

Hey, no offence to Dave, but I've been there, done that. I say we get him to meet us in Fiji. We could all do with some pacific Island relaxation. We could get you sufficiently liquored up and I'll give that friggin shoulder a yank, and then we'll get a few coffee colored, sarong wearin' sweeties to massage it and make it better. Of course, the little woman will probably have something to say about all this. Maybe send the Dragons to Coney Island, and the Knights go to Fiji? Anyway, It's very late and I've obviously had too much to drink. I apologize to everyone. Good night.

FHB said...

Oh, and the shots all come from the phone. No flash to alert the public. James bond stuff. No geekie feeling from carrying a camera everywhere - mine isn't as hush hush as Mushy's.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Geez, that brought me back to a long forgotten time, when I used to date a ner'-do-well snooker pro'! Happy days..

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Man, I'm up to a hike on Fiji!

Love to meet both you guys, even Hammer.

And, if Goddess and the Shrink just happened to be there...well, it'd be a party!

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

I'm just packing my bag..