Sunday, June 17, 2007

How I spent my Saturday.

You guys remember hearing about all the weeds in the back yard. I've talked about pulling them for ages, but the weekends were ether rainy (our multi-year drought is apparently over), or sunny, with other much more fun things planned. Lets say I was easily distracted, knowing what was ahead of me.

Well, I finally bit the bullet, and went out there with a mission. First, here are some "before" shots, to give you a little perspective. Here's an old one, from when we had snow back on Easter.



See. Moderately weedy, with a few brush piles from prunin' the stuff up on the steps. Well...



Lets just say, I let things go a bit. What, I'm a busy guy!



And the side of the yard, where I tried to put in a weed barrier and a paving stone patio last year.



Worked like a charm, eh? I tell ya, this shit just materialized. One day they're little things, and yer tellin' yourself that you'll get to it next weekend. Then you walk out there and it's the friggin' Amazon jungle.

You know... Back yard; out of sight, out of mind. Hell the cats live back there, and I usually don't go out there much. They have a door set up in a window sill that they use to come and go at will, so I don't have to keep getting up to let them out and in again, over and over. But when the cats started comin' in with burrs in their hair, and rubbing up against my leg while I sat here at this machine, I knew I had to do somethin'. It rained like crazy Friday, so I knew that most of the little critters would be easy to pull. Once I did that, the rest would be just a process of chopping and trimming the grass.

Well, I spent about 8 hours out there in the muggy heat, swillin' iced green tea or water like a fish, and resting now and then when I started feeling like I was having a heart attack. Now I know why folks back in the day fought so hard to keep all that "free" labour. Sit on a porch in the shade and sip a Mint Julep while 30 or 40 slaves did all the sweating... Not that I'm advocating it! Hard work builds character, or so they say.



This looks like I've got grass growin' out of my ass, but it's just fallin' off the chopper in the back swing. Note the growing pile of debris. I think I strained my right bicep swingin' this thing, but I just kept it up and the pain went away.

The cats hung around and helped me, in their own little way.



This is "W". He lives in the yard in my bush. Well, it made sense at the time.



This is Tiger, checkin' out my dirty wet gloves. Likes the smell of sweaty leather, but who doesn't? They love it when big bro comes out back and hangs with them, but they split as soon as the gas trimmer came out from the garage.

About midday, I had a freaky thing happen with my right hand. Must have been dehydrated, and using muscles that hadn't had a work out like this in a good while. I was pulling weeds and found that my thumb and index finger were being drawn into my palm, the muscles spasming, and I couldn't extend them easily. I sat down and drank some iced green tea...



and took a hammer as a weight and used it to work out the muscles, raising it and lowering it in my hand as I kept my forearm still against my leg. It worked, and I went back to chopping and puling. No problems after that. That's my favorite mug. I got it at Wet "n Wild, back in the late '80s. I used to get a season pass back then and go there every week to swim for a few hours at a time. I'll post about that some time. It was a lot of fun, and an eye opening time.

Slowly I made progress, and finally, by about 6:30, I began to see "the light at the end of the tunnel". About 8 exhausting hours after it all began...



The place was looking a lot more like it's supposed to.



Note the brush pile. After trying to bag a lot of this stuff at first, and finding that my heavy duty bags were crap, easily ripping, and my trash can was crap, with the handle breaking on me and the wheels coming off, I decided to leave the brush there as a compost pile. I'll put chicken wire around it and set it up for real later. I'm increasingly convinced that there's almost nothing in this country left but cheap flimsy crap from China. What the hell have we done to ourselves?

Once I got it all chopped and pulled down to a reasonable level, I busted out the gas trimmer, which made pretty easy work of the rest. Then it was an hour of raking and finishing touches, and then sweeping and washing off the porch.



Still have a lot to do to fix these paving stones and finish this new patio. I'll have to pull up all the stones and start again. Don't like the way it turned out anyway, but that will be another day.



I wanna tell ya, I was one tired mutha. Dirty and scummy, and covered in burrs. I used a comb to get all the burrs off my arms and legs, and out of my hair. I kicked the wet and dirty shorts in the bin and hit the shower. That hot shower felt almost orgasmic after all this bullshit, and I was thinkin' that I need to set up a hot tub back there one of these days, so I can relax after work and burn all this sort of pain away. I miss the hot tub at the gym I used to work out at a long time ago. I need to start doin' that sort of stuff again so my stamina returns. Who says you have to be old AND feeble?.

Well, that's how I spent my Saturday. Sunday will be comparatively easy; mowing the front yard, planting a few things in the back, and taking the folks and sis out to The Outback for Fathers day dinner. I hope all your weekends were comparatively relaxing, and all you dads out there have a great Fathers day. Cheers.

13 comments:

Christina RN LMT said...

Damn, you're ambitious!
That was a LOT of work, congrats.
I think if I had a yard, I'd have to hire someone to do the work, I'm just too damn lazy for that (and too old!).

GUYK said...

Now that ya got it done don't ya like it though? I had the same kind of jungle when I was putting together sweetthing's half acre. But I did it the easier way...I bought a 99 dollar gas mower from Wallyworld and used it like a Bush hog..in fact I wore out two of them in about two weeks. I jst pushed the handle to the ground and lowered the blades into the brush and it worked like a bush hog...beat hell out of that yo yo weed swarther

phlegmfatale said...

I think you did a fantastic job - your corner of the world looks awesome, and you have some great heat-hardy perennials planted there. I'll bet the cats prefer the jungle habitat, but they'll deal. High Country Gardens has great perennials that don't need constant watering, if you ever want to order more plants equally hardy and lovely to go with the ones you have here. I think it looks fabulous. Impressive results after only one day. Glad you kept hydrated!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Gees, you need to keep that place cleaned up...you never know who might be dropping in someday soon.

I like the shot with the grass clump growing out your butt!

Ah, yes, the pause that refreshes...the best thing you did all day!

Evalinn said...

Nice garden and good job on it! I wish I had a garden...all I have is a great view of my neighbours house on the other side of a very narrow street...

FHB said...

Mushy - Plannin' to. I'll NEVER let it get that way again. Taught me a huge lesson.

Evelinn - I have a similar view out the French doors on the side of the house. Garden home, stuck right next to another. A view of lots of bricks. The garden will happen. You'll get one some day, never fear. And thanks for comin' by.

*Goddess* said...

Did you do all the original landscaping on the back yard? Cuz it looks damn good. I wish I had a flare for that sort of stuff.

BTW, who was taking your picture from behind?? The cats:)

FHB said...

The top two steps were planted, and I did the bottom. Those spiked plants, some sort of yucca, started out as little bitty things. Now I'm thinking about cutting back the larger ones so the little ones can grow and bloom. The way of things eh? The garden on the left side I did, dragging the ties back there and using the chainsaw to shape them and then spiking them together. Lots of fun, that was. Plan to do it again over where the brush pile is now. Plan is to have a nice fish pond over on the right side, next to the sidewalk. Who knows when, but it's in the plan.

FHB said...

Oh, and I finally figured out how to use the timer on the camera, hense the shot in question.

Kevin said...

Damn dude. I feel your pain. That was a mort of work for one day. Looking good. Hell, I didn't know it rained that much in Texas...

*Goddess* said...

I like those Yucca plants. So far Japanese Knot Weed have taken over part of my backyard. The fuckers are up over my head now, towering about 7 feet tall, and there's no killing the damn things.

FHB said...

Is that like Kudzu? I hear that stuff is horrible to get rid of.

FHB said...

And Kevin - It usually doen't. That's why it's so amazing.