Wednesday, October 03, 2007

More food and fun.

Monday night, Denise and I went to a local place off 190 called Boston's, and had dinner. It's sort of a sports bar, but we've never sat at the bar and watched any games. They really don't have very nice monitors for game watching. So we just go there for dinner. They are known for their pizza, but we like the pizza at another place on the other side of town, so we have other things here at Boston's. I tried to get a shot of the little woman with the phone, but apparently the folks in the witness protection program trained her well.


We started out with wings, and they were very good. Teryaki flavor, with a little kick to them. After I started to chow down, I realized that Denise doesn't eat dark meat (I know, bizarre), so she had the celery and carrots as I consumed the bird. It was finger lickin' good, I wanna tell ya. OK, It's not like the fat little dudes they serve at Wild Wings, but ya have to make due with what you can get. They gave us a little dish of lemon water and nappies to clean up with, and as soon as we were done, on came the main attractions.


I had Ravioli, with Italian sausage and cheese, and Denise had the chicken salad (white meat, baked, of course). She's watching her figure, as am I, as it steadily grows more alluring. We're both losing weight. It's good to be happy and have someone to do things with, and things to look forward to.







We probably eat out too much, but it's more convenient considering both our schedules. Nether of us have the time or the energy to cook.

Boston's is very nice. It's one of several places we have along what's called "restaurant row", along 190. We've got some good stuff to choose from, and as the local population (about 100,000) gets bigger, more will probably build here to try to cash in. There's even a rumor that we might be getting a Pappasito's/Pappadeaux. Imagine that!

Uh, speaking of Pappasito's, guess where I took the old folks Tuesday? Yep, I drove over and took them down to Austin and we had an early dinner. They hadn't been there in months, so it was something they were looking forward to. Sis was supposed to go too, but begged off at the last minute. Well, you snooze, you loose.


We got there by about 4pm, just as the rush hour (which lasts about three hours) was getting kicked off. The place was almost empty, which surprised us, but didn't deter us.


We started off with the regular basket of tortilla chips and the three bowls of dip they've begun serving in the last few months. The one with the lid and spoon sticking out is some sort of Indian red chili sauce - very hot. The green stuff just peeking out from behind my Shiner is green chili sauce - mild. And the two red bowls contain the regular mild-to-hot salsa they've been serving for years. It's all good.

You can see mom's top shelf Margarita there on the top left, and the aforementioned Shiner Bock on the bottom right. Dads Tea is peeking out from the top right. He asked me at one point if I was old enough to drink beer, to which I quietly answered "Fuckin-A!" He then said something about mom being the beer drinker in the family. He was always partial to mixed drinks, like Rum and Coke, but his health issues have forced him to mostly give up those joys. I slip him a diet Dr. Pepper now and then, when the ladies aren't looking. The dudes have to stick together, by God!

The real treat among the dips was the queso with spicy ground beef mixed in. I only ordered a medium bowl this time, trying to cut back a bit.

It's wonderful, and never lasts long on the table. Denise requested that I bring her some of this, so I ordered a big bowl in a to-go box. It won't last too long ether.

Once I spooned some into mom's plate, and then into dads, there wasn't much left for me to play with. Some times I like to mix this stuff with the salsa or chili sauce, but not recently. I've developed a taste for the pure item.

You salivating uncontrollably yet?


Of course I had my usual... the combination enchiladas, one chicken and one beef, while mom had her regular chicken tacos and dad his normal order of pork tamales. We each also ordered Brochette shrimp on the side. Mom's order came on the side of her taco plate, but dad and I had ours delivered on sizzling hot plates.

I tell, ya, these little babies are all the reason anyone would ever need to try this restaurant out. Make sure they give you the butter/white wine/garlic sauce to dip them in.

After dinner, we headed back up I35 to Temple, but stopped briefly in Salado to get dessert.

We each got a small dip cone, something we've been enjoying for as long as I can remember.

It's one of the earliest memories of my life. During our regular drives back to Texas, going home to see the grandparents from wherever it was we were living, and stopping at the first Dairy Queen we saw once we crossed over the border and getting a dip cone. They used to only have these in Texas, so it was a real treat, and a sign that we were back home.

After takin' the folks back to Temple, I headed back to Killeen and waited for Denise to get away from work so I could serve her the left-over chicken and rice my mom had given me, and the to-go order of queso I'd brought back from Austin. It was all appreciated.

So, I went in to work today and turned in my grades from the semester that just ended. The kids in Florence still have me showing up each morning, so it's not like I'm really off. But the long lazy naps I've begun to enjoy in the late morning are allowing me to fake it nicely. Not sure what we'll do for dinner today, but the Wednesday night pool games will commence at 7:30PM. I'll be drinking Mics and smokin' Macs, or whatever, and usin' my new 3 burner blow torch lighter. I think I could do some welding with this thing. It should cause a little mirth with the fellas.

Well, you guys take care, and try not to hurt yourself rushin' to get here. They'll still have the shrimp when you manage to arrive. Later, Cheers.

19 comments:

none said...

We have a boston's too but the have wood oven pizzas as well. good stuff and the beer on tap isn't bad either.

Les Becker said...

Okay. STOP with the food! I don't cook, remember? And I'm too damned anti-social to go eat in a restaurant. It's very unfair that I should have to read about what I can't have.

That's it. I'm moving down there. You can bring me take-out, if you're gonna keep this up.

Sarge Charlie said...

you live to eat, you blog makes me hungry

FHB said...

Hammer - I had one of their pizzas a long time ago, and remember coming away thinking it wasn't all that, for the price I paid. I may have to go back and try again.

Les - Come on down baby, I'll take you on the special gastronomical tour. All, or most of your senses will be peaked, and you may never want to go back.

Sarge - I'm a huge eating machine, and always have been. That's a fact. And I do seem to be spending a lot of time writing about food lately. I need to sit down in these few weeks and come up with something interesting that doesn't involve doing things that piss off my doctor.

Christo Gonzales said...

that shrimp looks so good and the dipping butter....how can that be bad??

*Goddess* said...

Damn. Dad's chocolate cone looks goooood;)

Les Becker said...

Okay. You're on the list to "visit". I will visit you last, though, 'cuz you and Denise will be adopting me, right?

Chuck said...

Good God, here I am trying to low carb it and I'm greeted with all these delicious pics! lol Man that shit looks good...especially the Mexican.

My hamburger patties without the buns were great tonight....

Damn.

H2o said...

I've already ate dinner and there ya go putting Mexican food up for me to lather all over. Geez...

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

ha ha ha, i can always count on seeing what you are eating!!! is there any cake?

smiles, bee

Anonymous said...

FHB,
The food looks good. We have a Boston's in Terre Haute, IN about 90 minutes away. I'll have to check it out.

I put on the feedbag big time in Houston. Lots of good eatin' places...and WhataBurger too!

PRH said...

FHB...I don't need to be looking at that food at 11:15 at night....just back from our association's final football officials meeting...a few beers and couple pieces of pizza after....I don't need to be getting hungry and popping anything else in my pie hole....but it does all look good.

Christina RN LMT said...

"You salivating uncontrollably yet?"

Well, DUH!!

And, "little woman"...?!

Boy, I hope Denise doesn't read this, or you're in for a whuppin'!

What century were you born in again?

;)

J said...

Looks wonderful. I see we aren't speaking once again? Hope your the rest of your week goes as well as the beginning.

FHB said...

Yea folks it's wonderful. Between Denise and the folks, I probably eat it too often, but we all love it, so what the hell.

And Christina - actually, she loves it when I adopt a hillbilly accent and refer to her as "My wowman". Shocked the hell out of me, but she loves it. Thinks it's hilarious. I tell people "This here's my wowman" in that "Slingblade" tone, and she giggles her ass off. She's very secure, and doesn't take it as if I mean it in a demeaning way. What can I tell ya. Oh, and she does read this thing over my sholder, and thought the "witness protection service" thing was hilarious.

FHB said...

J - Oh shit, I guess I need to check that email. Damn. Sorry. No offense intended.

Buck said...

Salivating uncontrollably at this (early, for me) hour is SO unbecoming! ;-)

I first encountered the Pappadeaux family of restaurants on my first trip to Plano, around 1986 or so. It's been kinda amazing to watch them grow and expand the "product line" over the years. I've never had a bad meal in ANY of their restaurants. Ever.

phlegmfatale said...

I love the shit out of a good dip cone. I wish I lived near a DQ, but I have to settle for the occasional McDonald's version, which just isn't the same.

All that food looks good... yum.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Well, dude, I'm almost back to normal and yours was the first stop!

I'm so hungry right now I could eat a Mexican! Great good shots!

I've got lots of rounds to make, so I'll say goodbye and thanks for the weird thingamaboob! I love it!