Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Y'all hear about this?

DENNIS TOWNSHIP, N.J. — A second-grader's drawing of a stick figure shooting a gun earned him a one-day school suspension.

Kyle Walker, 7, was suspended last week for violating Dennis Township Primary School's zero-tolerance policy on guns, the boy's mother, Shirley McDevitt, told The Press of Atlantic City.

Kyle gave the picture to another child on the school bus, and that child's parents complained about it to school officials, McDevitt said. Her son told her the drawing was of a water gun, she said.

A photocopy of the picture provided by McDevitt showed two stick figures with one pointing a crude-looking gun at the other, the newspaper said. What appeared to be the word "me" was written above the shooter, with another name scribbled above the other figure.

School officials declined to comment Friday. A message left at the superintendent's office Saturday was not returned.

Kyle drew other pictures, including a skateboarder, King Tut, a ghost, a tree and a Cyclops, the newspaper reported.


I tell ya, people are goin' nuts. A 7 yr. old kid. When I think of all the weapons I played with by that age, even some I'd made myself, it boggles the mind. What are we comin' to? Pretty soon the school'll be handin' out condoms to these 7 yr. olds, but don't let them ketch you drawin' stick figures. Oooooh noooo, we have a NO TOLERANCE policy. Well, who the hell gets to decide what we tolerate and what we don't as a society? Sheeeeiiit!



And here's a satellite shot of the fires in Cali. Amazing eh?

18 comments:

alphonsedamoose said...

I couldn't believe this story when I first read it up here. Big Brother is alive and well.

none said...

In school I used to draw pictures of myself wasting hippies with my full auto 12 gauge. Body parts everywhere. Some teachers liked it, the ones I depicted did not.

I never got in trouble either way.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

World's gone mad. I had this wimpy idea I would never buy toy guns for my kids, but they soon trained me better - they made their own out of lego and stuff for a year or so. I tossed my ideals in the bucket and caved under pressure. I don't believe I've raised any serial killers - but I'll keep you posted..(wink)

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Let's see, I had two holster sets, one a double rig, a sawed-off coach gun, a Rifleman rifle, and a BB gun in my youth arsenal. In the toy box I had at least 3 bags of Army men, a couple o tanks, and a complete air force unit of fighters and bombers of the day.

Dad gave me his .22 when I turned 13 and bought me a 20 gauge J. C. Higgins when I was 15.

To date, I haven't shot anyone and I always have one near me...just in case I change my mind!

Kids today are being raised pussies!

Anonymous said...

(snark)Zero tolerance policies are great.(/snark) What they do is keep the school teachers, principals and administrators that believe in them and use them from having to think. If they don't think they can't fuck up. Guess it must be nice to have a manual to cover your ass.

Unknown said...

I don't know, with all of these school shootings, I guess one can never be to cautious. If nothing had been done and this kid did show up with a gun and shot someone, then the school and the administration would be liable and then everyone would ask why no one did anything about it when it first came up. I'm not sure suspending him was the right "punishment" though.

Les Becker said...

Over the top... if he handed it to the kid on the school bus - how'd he "get caught" in the first place?

Zero Tolerance policies waste resources too, when school systems have to spend money and man hours dealing with trivial things like this. What's wrong with, "Johnny, we're no longer allowed to draw guns at school anymore. Don't let it happen again." Oh, that's right... Johnny might steal his dad's gun and come back next day and shoot her. Sorry. Forgot myself there for a minute.

Les Becker said...

Wow, I just realized that sounded like I was dissing Becky's opinion - sorry Becky, I didn't see your comment first, and I hope you don't take mine as trying to put your opinion down. I would certainly have chosen a different way to state my own if I'd been bright enough to read yours first.

PRH said...

Political Correctness gone nuggin futs.

Kevin said...

Well, it IS NJ, after all... As for the fires in CA, the valley I live in is pretty much surrounded by them, albeit at a distance. Smells like a campsite outside and visibility's for shit...

JDP said...

Heard on he news today a teacher filed a sexual harassment case against a four year old pre-K student for giving her a hug!

JDP

Anonymous said...

Sometime soon, we're gonna get pissed off enough and take our country back.
At least, I'm hoping these spineless bastards will get pissed.

Don B.

Christina RN LMT said...

FHB, check out my post from Sunday night...great minds etc., etc.

Anonymous said...

I used to draw firearm-themed pictures every fuckin' day in grammar school.

And to this day, I've never owned a gun.

Give me a break!

Jerry in Texas said...

Maybe that school can come up with a guns for condoms policy.

That's f'd up.

BRUNO said...

Hell, why should I even bother to add anything---YOU already know what MY take is on this subject!

Anonymous said...

WTF?

I am glad I have been out of school for many years. I'd get in some serious shit with the stick figures I draw now.

FHB said...

I've got some of my old doodles around here somewhere. I'm gonna find them and post them. Should give you guys a laugh or two. Thanks everyone, for comin'' by and contributing. Love ya.