Friday, October 05, 2007

Shorthand, 'cause I ain't got the time to be pretty.

Feds visited me last Wednesday, wanting info on a former student who was tryin' to get a security clearance. Dude was pleasant, but I couldn't stop starin' at those clip on shades he had flipped up on his glasses. What the hell? Guy in question took my class in 05 and made a C. Other than that, I had no recollection. I have about 150 students going through my classes every 8 weeks, so 05 was way too long ago for me to remember anything. I'm sure he'll get cleared. He'll be working in the CIA soon, I'm sure.

My garage door went tits up on me last Wednesday, just as the feds left. The big spring thingy snapped like a twig. Still need to get that fixed.

Lost my pool match Wednesday night, but it was close. The guys game came together at the last minute and he beat me like a step child. I lost one game by sinking my last ball, the 8 ball, and the cue ball, all at the same time. Try doin' that again. I won the next game, but then this guy turned into a ninja on me and left me in the dust. Ah well, next week.

Thursday I had lunch with the folks at the Stagecoach inn in Salado. I think it's overrated, but the folks love it. Home cookin'. Here's a merge of the front of the place.



Mushy sent me this program to do these sorts of shots, and it took us days to get it workin', but now I'm mergin' everything in sight. Here's a merge of the front of Pappasito's in Austin.



Well, it's Friday, so you know what's on the schedule for tonight. It's the night for me to go to Salado and get a haircut - once every 6 to 8 weeks. Then there'll be Chinese food with Dad, followed by a high school football game, and more frustration on my part as I try to get decent pictures. Denise will take Mom to the mall in Temple and eat at some cafeteria there that I've never tried.

Girls night out and boys night out, followed by lazy laying in till about noon Saturday. No clue what's on the plan for tomorrow. I need to spend about two days catching up on reading blogs, and I really need to get this friggin' garage door fixed. SUCKS not being able to punch the button and come and go, as if from the Bat Cave. Really putting a bummer on my scene.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

FHB,
Had my garage door spring break on me three years ago. Here's the breakdown on the bill:
Spring: $59
Labor : $55
Trip : $15
Tax : $ 3.54
Total :$132.54

Worth every penny to me, since I don't know jack about garage doors.

Good luck!

NotClauswitz said...

Our garage has those damn spring counterweight things, greasy bastards - I'm damn glad I wasn't next to it when it did the same thing and let go with a bang. I got the opener motor replaced with a quieter one and better and more rigid track, that sucker deflected about a foot to the right everytime the motor torqued-on.

Les Becker said...

Yes, Hairy, for God's sake, come and catch up! I'm in danger of turning into a REAL GIRL over here, what with all the shopping and all... Can I borrow $1000, btw?

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Our garage has a remote too, and it is the biggest piece of worthless crap I've ever encountered - if so much as a leaf blocks it's path, up it comes again!! I refuse to play any more, I manually haul it's ass up and down, at least that way I'm saved the frustration of wasting 5-10 mins to have it close!

JDP said...

Don't try to fix it yourself unless you really know what you are doing. Those springs can be deadly.

JDP

david mcmahon said...

But it's NOT spirng in the US - it's spring here in Oz.

Sorry, (hangs head in mock humility)

Great merge shots - and I loved Mushy;s picture of what you sent him!

That Chick Over There said...

I have to work with those feds every single day.

They aren't so bad when you get to know them.

However, I do think it's weird that they interview people for clearances and expect you to remember things from like, five years ago. I don't remember what I had for DINNER last night.

I am no help.

*Goddess* said...

Yikes! Jerry was ripped off! Our springs just cost us $31 plus $58 labor. Course ours were extension springs. BTW, is this spring stuff contagious or what?

GUYK said...

just practice putting some bottom English on that cue ball so it will back away from the eight ball instead of following it into the pocket..

JDP said...

I had to tag five people with a meme and guess what, you are it.

JDP

PRH said...

The "Big" spring on my wife's side of our garage went belly out last spring....about $130(so Jerry is right on target) for a new one installed....seldom use the one on my side, since I've got the 77 Buick covered up and waiting for restoration(has been for 4 years)...

What the Hell did we do before those remote control door openers? Or TV remotes, etc, etc?

FHB said...

Well guys, it was fixed Saturday, and I still think I could do it myself, but I'm kinda glad I didn't try. The dude was missing part of a finger. That was all I needed to see. Money well spent.

Guy - Yea, I know how to do that. It was a freak thing, sinkin' all three of those balls at once. Never happen to me again in 1000 years. Mostly it's my angles, and my accuracy with the cue ball. I'll continue to work on it. Practice, practice, practice.

JDP - Dude, no problem. I'll check it.

Pat - Yea, I know, but I felt so totally inconvenienced when it went out on me. Sucked hard. Now I feel like all is right with the world. Thing is, back before remotes, I was parking my old AMC Concord out on the street, so it didn't matter.

Unknown said...

I always wanted to eat at The Stagecoach Inn, but it was never convenient to stop on my drive from San Antonio to DFW or back.

I had to do security clearances for tenants as a landlord in Hawaii b/c so many of them were military. While I might not have had anything really negative to say about them, it was bizarre to think of some of those really young and kind of airheaded people having that kind of clearance.

phlegmfatale said...

Maybe that sunglass lens-flipped-up-thingy was part of YOUR psych evaluation - some sort of a test!