Saturday, December 08, 2007

It's Friday again, and I've got more shit to tell ya.

First of all, today is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, 66 years ago (he says, counting on his fingers - there's a reason I don't teach math). Wednesday night at the weekly pool game/booze-up/ceeegar fest, someone said that Wednesday had been the 75th anniversary of the repeal of Prohibition. I wasn't sure it was true, but we drank to it anyway.

That morning all those years ago, "Which will live in infamy", drew America fully into the Second World War, and changed my life. My dad says he walked right out when the news broke and wanted to join up, but his father talked him out of it. He eventually did join up mid way through 1942, after a stint in LA working in a defense plant building B-25s. He set out determined to become a pilot, having seen his first plane from the back of the family plow, and he eventually succeeded.



That's dad, center left, hand on cheek, out gettin' wide with his buds in Germany right after the war. You think they had a good time. I KNOW they did. The ladies LOVED those pilots wings. The guys didn't call them "leg spreaders" for nothin'.

He succeeded in everything he did, doing everything he dreamed of doing, including marrying a beautiful girl and having two children. In working for all of that he saved me from having to grow up picking cotton, and made it possible for me to become the guy I am today. You know, everything wasn't sweetness and light, but fuck all that. Pickin' cotton would have been worse than any stupid bullshit I had to deal with.

When I see him later today and we hit the buffet at Dynasty, I'll be sure and thank him again for that.

Now, for the really important shit...



I got a new box of cigars in the mail Wednesday. They're C.A.O. Gold Perfectos. A box of 10 6x60 torpedoes. Should be a good smoke. I've got a pretty good stash now, in a variety of brands, so when I'm drivin' to or from Florence (love the way the smoke drifts out through the sun roof), walkin' down the main street in Fredericksburg, or screwin' around in a pool hall on a Wednesday night, I can sample a different one and relax.

Oh, and I have two tickets to the Dallas/Philly game on the 16th. $65 a piece. Buddy of mine with season tickets gave 'em to me at cost. Denise and I'll get a room that Saturday night at the Hyatt and do it up right. Fuckin' Cowboys better win! Last time I went to a game was in the early '80s and they got beat by the Redskins. Aaaah, the Danny White era; The times that troubled men's souls.

Goin' to Fredericksburg this Saturday afternoon. Denise wants to Christmas shop and I want to try out another beergarten. I also want to pick up another bag of pecans. There's a party at a friend of hers here Saturday night, or we'd get a room and stay down in the hill country. There'll be another weekend for that.

Well, you guys take care and enjoy your weekend. I'll see ya later.

13 comments:

david mcmahon said...

Good on your Dad

You know, when I was a kid I read this amazing story about Pearl Harbour and how the attack was formulated.

I researched it the other day, just to make sure I hadn;t got the facts wrong.

Will tell the story one day ....

PRH said...

Excellent Post.....I salute your dad and all those other guys from Our Greatest Generation....we must all be on the same wave, you and Buck, both with Cigar Posts.....

Cookie..... said...

Hmmm...Pat said it for me regarding our "Greatest Generation"... Man them cigars look sooo good...I'll bet ya both Bill AND Monica would love em...

Just Another Old Geezer said...

Tell your dad thanks for me. I'm so glad I got to serve with a bunch of WWII sub vets. They have always been an inspiration to me. And I know a few who are still with us.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

when you see your dad tonight tell him i said thanks for his service, okay?

smiles, bee

Diva said...

Your dad was a total fox. Men in uniform are delish.

The cigars, well, I don't smoke 'em, so I'm not sure what to say about 'em, but they sure are pretty.

And lastly, Dallas should kick the shit out of Philly in appreciation of your gracing them with your presence.

Have a super dooper weekend!
xoxo

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Man, you sure like those big turds! I can't open my mouth that wide!

Sure wish we could share another one. That was fun.

Yeah, I thought a lot about PH today, but I also learned about the second disaster there on May 21, 1944...164 died then. Some of the same stupid Navy tactics that caused that too...tying up too close together for one thing.

Buck said...

What an excellent pic of your father, Jeff. My Ol' Man coulda been in that group, as well. Your father and mine served in the Occupation together, but separate. I certainly relate to everything you've written in that space. We're both LUCKY dudes...

And...great cigar pic! I just received an augmentation shipment for the ol' humidor...Montecristos, in my case. And managed to enjoy one just over an hour ago, what with the WX cooperating, and all that.

BRUNO said...

I got several of those CAO-golds in a sampler a short while back, and they are GOOD! Almost as smooth and silky as a Mac!!!

I said, AL-MOST.....!!!

GUYK said...

The Eagles always play the Cowboys tough..should be a good game.

J said...

Please tell your Dad that we all appreciate his service. I think that when most (not ALL) people aren't around the military very much they forget about how important the present AND past soldiers created our country's history.

He raised a good son, you know that...right?

FHB said...

Thanks guys. Dad's doin' fine. When I was drivin' him to the dinner Friday I asked him about PH and he brushed it off. Then went into the old story about being 17 and wanting to sign up but his dad made him wait. I have to prompt him now, but the stories are fun. Wish I could get therm on video and share them with you.

And these cigars are nice, but I just got some more. I'll post about that soon.

Unknown said...

THat's how much the tickets were for the last row of the damn Seattle stadium. I was so annoyed.

Anyway, we'll be watching that game with some friends, so I'll be sure to look for you (you know, in the crowd of 70,000). The only other pro game that I went to was in 1996 in Texas Stadium.

Your dad was quite handsome in his days -- he probably didn't actually need those wings:)