Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Tryin' to get caught up with you guys now that school is mostly over...

I surfed through Phlemmy's site and wandered into somethin'. She posted a thing with Rita Moreno, and when it ended I surfed through the other clips and found this one.



Damn, I forgot how cool that guy was. Buddy Rich. Used to see him on the Tonight show ever so often. Nice noise. That got me thinkin' about good drummers, and that led me to this...



Ginger Baker... Maybe the greatest drummer and band ever in modern music? Oh, wait a minute...



Damn, see how my mind works? I know, there are others. Too many to choose from. Just crank the speakers and drift off into something like bliss, and just thank God you grew up when this stuff was around. Damn, I'm gonna have to watch that second one again. Bliss.

OK, now bear with me. Here's some different drumming. This is purely tribal. We're talkin' about deeply embedded genetic memories here. This'll make you want to strip, paint yourself blue with Woad and swing a battle ax into something, or someone. Dig it.



Well, that's how it effects me anyway. Of course, no one needs to see that.

Maybe that's why all these drummers have had such an effect on us. They tap into some ancient tribal beat that's wrapped up in our DNA. Anyway, I love it. To each his own. I'm out. Peace.

8 comments:

Just Another Old Geezer said...

Those are all great. But Buddy is my all time favorite. Next time you're YouTubeing, search for Jacob Armen. There is a clip of him on the Tonight show when Carson and Severinson were on it. The kid was 7, yeah, seven years old. A-fuckin'-mazing.

Lin said...

My favorite was the last video. Okay, so I'm a big sap but I can't hear Scotland the Brave without welling up.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Buddy Rich Baby!

He is the one I used to be playing when my re-cap snow tires would peel off flap for miles under the fender before I could tell the difference!

You know, you make a hell of a base drum carrier in a Scottish band! I can see you know, twirling that big drum stick and those big ol' legs, all hairy, sticking out from under that skirt! Wow...you sure got a purdy smile!

FHB said...

DOWN, big fella. I would look good in that shit though. Don't make me dredge up that old picture.

But ain't it just like an army marchin' out to do battle? Chills.

Diva said...

I'm a fan of the drum line. BIG fan. I watch the drum off everytime I see its gonna be on TV.

My favorite? The USC Trojan marching band. Rock on!

Anonymous said...

Marching bands!The only music my father loved. Brought me to parades on the streets of Montreal, at age 4-5. Perched on his shoulders, I clapped hands and learned rhythms. Now back to YouTube for more. Thanks!

Buck said...

...and just thank God you grew up when this stuff was around.

Or were a young adult, even. ;-)

Didja buy the Cream reunion concert CD, FHB? VERY good stuff. I was surprised at just how good it is, but probably shouldn't have been (surprised).

GUYK said...

I like bagpipes and drums..and as far as I know I am not even a minute part Scot