Wednesday, December 05, 2007

"ROSEBUD"

The cool dude over on the other side of everything has posed another question of the week. Dave wants to know... What was the best Christmas present I ever got? I tell ya, it's hard to pick one, one particular Christmas jumps out in my mind.

I'll never forget walkin' down to the basement/den in our house in Kansas City, Missouri in about 1972 and seein' that sled, the biggest thing in the room aside from the tree. There were presents all over the floor, but that sled stood out.

OK, you guys know by now, if you've been payin' attention, that I'm a big boy. I've always been a big boy, so the run-of-the-mill sleds that all the other kids had just didn't cut the mustard. I'd be layin' on 'em with just my torso and have my ass and legs scrapin' the snow, with all sorts of crap goin' down my pants. Not pleasant. Mom and dad knew this and went out and found one that fit me. I was in bliss. It must have been 4 1/2 feet long, with red steel blades and wooden slats, and wooden handles to steer it with. It snowed a lot there, and there was a huge hill up the street that we used to slide down, skate down, bike down, all through the year. I posted about that hill a long time ago. Check it out.

We'd get goin' at the top of that hill and slide down reaching amazing speeds (always seemed faster because you were so close to the ground), and then shoot up a ramp made of snow at the curb at the bottom of the hill (it was a T intersection) into someones yard and then try to miss the trees in their back yard. Jesus, that was fun, and would probably be illegal today. Some kids mom would sue the folks when her little brat hit a tree in their yard. Anyway, those are wonderful memories, so thanks Dave for bringin' them back to me.

Now, check this out. Then I have a few questions.



Ok, that's cool, and I bet it would work. I got used to seeing those little R2D2 CIWS units on any number of the ships I taught on back in the early 1990s. Here's a shot of one of those, this one on a carrier.



They're cool as hell, used to protect ships from low flying missiles. In this new case they're trying to reconfigure them to detect and shoot down incoming mortar rounds fired at coalition troops in Iraq. Shooting and running is a favored hobby of the fuzzies over in Mess-o-potamia.

I understand why they're trying to protect soldiers from mortars. It's perfectly understandable. But in sprayin' lead into the air like that, aren't you putting a few other folks in harms way? I mean, our guys are usually based near towns and villages, aren't they? Where the hell are all those 20mm shells going? You know, the ones that don't break up when they hit the mortar. I'm just sayin'...

I always wonder that when I see these demonstrations in any one of a number of shit hole countries in the world. Their soccer team wins and they take their Kalashnikov out in the street and empty a clip in the air. I mean, I'd love to be able to do that myself. It looks like fun. But where the hell do all the bullets go?

Aw, I'm bein' a nit picker.

10 comments:

none said...

That sledding sounds fun. We left KC before I could try out my sled.
I'll have to figure out a way to do it on dirt ;)

Yeah, I could see all that lead being a problem for whoever is downrange of it but if there is someone firing crap at you from that direction I'm a little less likely to lose sleep over it.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Well, hopefully the spent rounds land back in the direction from which the round was fired. If you're lucky, you hit the sombitch that fired at you!

Sure wish we had those at Da Nang...as it was, we had "small projectile" radar, but that didn't prevent the fired rounds from hitting the base!

There is nothing like flying down a hill at break-neck speed and leaving the ground and falling helplessly into the woods below the road! I loved it whether I made the turn or not!

*Goddess* said...

My mother's front yard has two small hills in it. We'd take a long sled to the top of the yard, and three of us would climb on. We'd hit that second hill so fast, that we'd just fly off of it and land on the road. Damn did that landing ever hurt, but the flying through the air part was fabulous:) Thing is I'd NEVER do it now...no way!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

funny thing, i like giving more than getting gifts and the best gift i have given was sending a soldier home for christmas last year to his family. it made me feel wonderful!

smiles, bee

BRUNO said...

Yeah, I remember that feeling of "too big for the NORMAL sleds"! Couldn't have described it better!

I remember my first ride on a "redneck-tobbogan"---a '53 Chevy truck-hood,chained behind an MD-Farmall tractor, in 5th gear!

Scary, noisy, and faster than you could slide with a "conventional" tobbogan! Oh, and the STOP at the end, when you SK-RUNCHED! against those big, tall rear wheels---IN-TENSE...!!!

BRUNO said...

And I had always wondered myself about those "extra" rounds, ever since I saw my first footage of WW 2 aerial combat footage---and the only answer I ever got for even a close match was, "Imagine yourself on a checkerboard, and a giant with a fistful of marbles. He throws them---you hope YOUR square is the one the marbles MISS!"

Collateral damage? Or "friendly-fire"?

Guess it depends on which side of the fence you're on, huh???

Alex L said...

I think with bullets coming straight down it wouldnt matter, ones that just arc though would cause some damage. Anything dropping straight down is only going to reach a certain speed (terminal velocity) based on its weight and gravity. Of course that depends on the size of the projectile, a normal size bullet would hurt but it wouldnt kill you (wouldnt recommend trying it though). Does that make sense, its the same as when the mythbusters threw the coins off the empire state if you saw that.

Diva said...

Ever seen the sled scene from Christmas Vacation?? I'm having visions here of you, your sled and that hill.

We lived in CA most of my childhood and I am mentally scarred from lack of sledding experience. =(

The bullets are surely causing some damage, you are not a nit-picker. You are a consciencious individual. Look over my spelling, please.

GUYK said...

The best Christmas Present? A Toss up..when I was seven I got a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun...I had begged and pleaded for one for months but had been told that I was too young and would get in trouble with it..I was and did..but I sure was proud to see that Red Ryder and about a 1000 BBs with my name on it under the tree on Christmas Morning!

When I was 10 my grandfather gave me a family heirloom for Christmas..a double barreled 12 gauge shotgun..Damascus twist thumb buster. A few years ago I passed it down to a nephew to keep it in the family. That old shotgun brought down a bunch of Doves and Bob whites over the years..

david mcmahon said...

Thanks for the great memories. I could almost hear the sound of the sled on the snow and ice ....

And I simply MUST show my kids this post so they can see your description ``cool dude over on the other side of everything''. They'll be very impressed!