Monday, July 23, 2007

Some country music?

Here's a great one by a guy who must be Buck Owens' bastard son. Love him.



And here's a sweet one. Love this one to death. Miss this old boy a lot.



And another classic. Can't beat this stuff with a stick.



I had a great time over the weekend, hanging out with my girlfriends relatives from Yorkshire. Lots of booze and pool playing and laughter. We hit it off like you wouldn't believe, and now they are headed back down to Austin to begin their flight home. I'll miss them.

I'm giving finals this afternoon. They're taking the exam as I post this. Have to cut this short so I can start grading. My last finals are tomorrow night. I'll have everything graded and grades posted on the web site by midnight, and then I'll set off on a road trip/odessy from here to Harriman TN, where I'll finally get to meet up with a guy who has become a great buddy over the last year. Then, Thursday, I'll drive further north to Williamsport PA and spend 3 days with my cousin and his family. On the drive back I'll stop again in Harriman and we'll see if my buddy and I can hit it off in person the way we have here in the boggosphere. Think it's gonna be a fun time. Plan is to drive home the 4th, and then I'll start teaching again on the 6th. This will be one of those vacations that wear you out so that work seems like a vacation. Can't wait.

I'll post pictures of the weekends fun a little later today, when I'm back on my own PC. See ya later.

20 comments:

Kevin said...

Cool! Where in Yorkshire? I went to high school in Skipton, Yorks..
Will you be blogging on the road?

FHB said...

Kevin - They're from Bradford. Hope to. Try to post something from my cousins computer, and then Mushy's. We'll see.

NotClauswitz said...

Yorkshire people have a special accent ;-) wasn't "Foggy" (Carl Fogarty) the Ducati racer from Yorkshire?

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Hurry your ass up! But be safe!

I liked Waylon...Dwight was only good in Slingbade!

My radio and stereo don't have "country chips!"

Unknown said...

Girlfriend? Did I miss the post on that or were you trying to just slide that in? :)

Kevin said...

Bradford, huh? Pretty close to where I grew up. Bradford Grammar School would always kick our ass at rugby. Cocky bastards, they were..

GUYK said...

waylon is still my favorite of all time..wish I still had some of the LPs of his that I used to have

FHB said...

Mushy - I'm comin', damn.

Becky - Nope, haven't really elaborated. Will one day.

Dirtcrashr - No clue, But I love their accent.

Kevin - My Yorkshire Lass says "it takes leather balls to play Rugby", and "the only good thing out of Lancashire is the road to Yorkshire". Her words dude, not mine. Apparently there are tribal things still percolating there. Wars of the Roses, or whatever.

GuyK - Yep, I love the whole style of him, and that outlaw thing. Wonderful.

Anonymous said...

FHB,
Thanks for the videos.

Y'all are gonna hit it off just fine. I've met a bunch of bloggers. Not a turd in the bunch. Have a fun and safe trip.

Lin said...

Have a great trip, FHB, and don't let Mushy get you in any trouble with the new GF.

JDP said...

Have a fun and safe trip. The best vacations are the one's when you get back home, and you need a vacation twice as much as you did before you left.

none said...

Good deal on the GF's family. That is always a plus.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Kevin said...

HAHAHA!! I grew up in Barnoldswick, and the majority of the folks there considered themselves Yorkshiremen. Yeah, there's still a bit of rivalry but all in good fun. Why do Yorkshiremen wear wellies? you stuff the sheep's back legs down 'em so they can't get away...

H2o said...

Have a GREAT TIME!!!

FHB said...

Jerry - Hope so.

Lin - I will, and he wouldn't.

JDP - Exactly the plan. I'll be so beat when I get back the job will be a relief.

Hammer - Yep, it was easy to do. Felt just like my own family. Last time that happened was when I went up to PA to see my cousin and his family for the first time in about 95. The took me in and made me feel right at home. Meanwhile, my other cousins here in Bell County act like I have a disease. Screw 'em!

Kevin - So ,do you have that funny accent? I asked my GFs brother that and he said "It's my fookin' language!" Hilarious. He was talkin' to someone in the bar we were in who was askin' him if he was English and I said "Yep, which means he mispronounces everything!" We had a great time.

Rebecca - Thanks, I will.

Kevin said...

Not any more, to my wife's dismay. I lost my accent before I met her. If you talked to me you would probably never know I spent 17 years in Blighty. That Yorkshire accent is pretty thick - I remember moving up north from Fareham (south coast of UK) when I was seven, and I hard a hard time even following local news on TV at first...

BRUNO said...

"Buck Owens bastard son"! Might be truer than you think! Always did like a man with a "direct, no-nonsense" approach!

Let us know when you hit Harriman, so we can "lock-up the kids, and put chastity-belts on our wives...!

FHB said...

Kevin - She says Eeh, Bah Gum! Ear all, see all say nowt. Eat all, sup all and pay nowt, and if ever tha does owt for nowt allus do it for thee sen... the good old Yorkshire motto, if you can remember that.

Bruno - Hahahaha, yep, but now the little womans watching, so don't bust me out like that! Seriously, we'll all have to get together one day, somewhere in the middle of everything.

Shosh said...

I grow up listening to this guy in the Philippines. I don't know his name, but my father collects a rather huge country music selection. I like singing voices like this. I don't even know the name of this guy til now. Brings back really wonderful memories.

Kevin said...

Yup! I have a coffee mug with that saying on it! "A Yorkshireman's advice to his son"...