Wednesday, July 11, 2007

These were requested a while back, by a sweet lady across the pond...Two ladies named Janis.

For a brief time in the late '60s and early '70s, hard lookin' women with amazing talent had a certain cache. I guess people were into lookin' deeper than surface beauty and empathizing with their fellows. Went with the times. Try to find one out in the pop scene nowadays. Sounds like both these talented ladies had similar issues, and dealt with them in similar ways, though one didn't make it through the struggle. Huge shame about that, but what are ya gonna do?



I actually used to identify with that one. Lots of similarity between the feelings of the weird lookin' chicks who never got called and the freakishly large and goofy, spotty lookin' guys who were too shy to call anyone, particularly the weird lookin' chicks. Of course, she obviously got over it. I guess I did to. Man, those teen years sucked!



Well, that's just amazing. God, she was a friggin' genius! I wish she were still around. Imagine how cool her music would be now, her talent having matured with age.

11 comments:

*Goddess* said...

I always liked "Take Another Little Piece of My Heart".

FHB said...

Yep, me too. And Summertime. I've got that one in the wings, waiting to go.

Christo Gonzales said...

whats up? I saw the Cars in 1979 they opened up for .....no wait it was AC/DC opening for Journey the Cars opened up for Styx...

Angel said...

man, I used to really like janis Ian....Janis Joplin was just a little before my time, but the other Janis....she was good. She had a haunting voice.

And Journey totally rocks, Dog!!!

none said...

There is something to be said for weird looking chicks.
I think they are pretty dang awesome especially if they can sing. :)

Anonymous said...

FHB,
I had never seen that particular video of Janis Joplin. Amazing that she was only 27 when she died. She lived a hard life.

Janice Ian is great too. Have you ever heard her "Society's Child" recorded when she was 16?

Thanks for the videos.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these. We've lost a lot of talent in their youth to various things, haven't we?

david mcmahon said...

G'day FHB,

She certainly was a genius. And she had that signature raspy voice, too.

BTW, will post the review of your site this weekend. One humble suggestion, maestro: have a look at the new templates around.

This one (which I used as well, initially) has served its purpose, but I figure it's time for a makeover. Scout the new templates and changing over is just one click.

Gimme a yell and tell me what you think, mate.

Cheers

David

Unknown said...

I was really surprised to find out how young Janis Joplin was when she did because her voice sounded so much older and mature (and hardened). Hollywood keeps rolling around to make a movie about her, but who knows if it will ever happen?

Dick said...

I liked her music, but damn... She was hard to look at.

Kevin said...

I dunno how long her voicebox would have held out, even if she had survived. Her voice was very raspy... great music though...