Thursday, November 01, 2007

Found a great documentary on LiveLeak a while back.

It's a BBC thing on British troops in Afghanistan. Relax and enjoy. It's very informative. It lasts about an hour, with each of the five bits lasting about 10 minutes.

Hell I know, but it's good. You'll come away from it feeling more pride in what our side is trying to do, with more reasons to respect these men and women. But at the same time you might wonder what the hell our side thinks it's doing over there. The rules of engagement and lame assed locals remind me of another war. Sad. Is this the way to win a war, or even a war that anyone can ever really win? Tryin' to drag certain people into the modern age, kickin' and screamin', may just turn out to be less doable in the long run, and far less satisfyin' than just rollin' back, coverin' up and droppin' the big one. In other words, it's gonna take a long time to do what we're tryin' to do. I hope our side has the stamina. Too much is at stake to fuck it up.

Anyway, we're headin' to Terlingua this morning at about 6AM, so you won't hear from me again for a while. We'll be camping out with a lot of friends and happy strangers in the shadow of the Chisos Mountains, near Big Bend National Park (click on this shot for a good view).



We'll be drinking heavily and eating as much BBQ (ribs and brisket), beans and chili as we can humanly consume in three days and nights. There may well be wet t-shirt contests and chili wrestling contests. A few years ago a kid took some candid shots and the local grocery store refused to develop his film, so I'll be taking the digital camera. Showers being rare, my lovely companion and I may need to resort to nocturnal baby wipe parties. It'll be Denis' first trip to Terlingua, not to mention her very first camping experience in a tent. Her virtue may well be in danger, so please pray for her. You guys try to have fun too. I'll see ya later. Cheers.









10 comments:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Think of me while you're gone...you know I'd love it!

none said...

Have a great time!

Remember Chili and sleeping bags don't mix ;D

BRUNO said...

Yeah, you know where to find us...!

J said...

I'm jealous. I love to camp. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I hope Denise's definition of camping isn't staying at a motel instead of a hotel.

Y'all have fun!

Kevin said...

Wet t-shirt contests? We'll be needing photographic proof of those, please... have fun!

Lin said...

FHB, I know you'll knock 'em dead in the wet T-shirt contest with those big boy Buddha boobs of yours. Remember to "Show us your trophies" when you get back. Have a great time!

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Tell Denise I'm praying for her, poor girl! Be good..

FHB said...

Mushy - Always. You would have had a blast, until the country music started.

Hammer - Too true. As luck would have it, there's actually less chili consumed than ribs, brisket, etc. The chili they make for these contests isn't really the kind you want to sit in front of the TV and chow down on. My mom's chili would kick their ass, but she puts beans and peppers in it so she'd be disqualified from the contest. The BBQ ribs, wings, and brisket are to die for though. One lady made a stew that was amazing. Pictures later.

Bruno - You would have loved it man. We'd a been totin' you around like the fatted calf. You'd a won prizes.

J - Me loves it too. Goin' again this weekend.

Jerry - She's been out in a camper before, but not in a tent. Thing is, my version of tent camping (car camping) is quite plush, so she was comfy. Pictures to follow.

Kevin - I caught hell from Denise, but I got the pictures. It was spectacular.

Lin - No, they wouldn't have me. Fron the other contestants, I'm assuming they had to be much bigger and floppier than mine to qualify. I was destroyed. Law suits may follow.

Shrinkie - She thanks you for the moral support, and needed your prayers, but she survived.

Unknown said...

I've only gone camping to places that still had shower/toilet facilities. Ted is determined to "break me," but it hasn't happened yet.