Sunday, November 25, 2007

Went to lunch in Temple today to meet a blogger.

His name is Jerry Wiley, and his blog is called Back Home Again. Check him out some time.



He was driving down from Indiana to visit a sister in Austin, and to do some job related stuff in Houston. The weather hasn't been very nice to him, with drivin' and pissin' rain most of the way through Texas, havin' to dodge trucks and other heavy traffic, and the chilly temps, but he's made it alright so far.

I was tryin' to think of where we should meet, and I came up with the idea of takin' him to a local favorite out in Zabcikville, about 10 minutes east of Temple. Green's Sausage House is famous, and well loved by most folks in this area. I was gettin' myself all ready to consume mass quantities of BBQ sausage and brisket sandwiches, but then I checked their web site and found out they're only open in Sunday for deer processing. Damn. So, since I talk about it all the time on my blog, I thought I'd just take him to the great Chinese food place I take Dad to in Fridays. Turned out to be a busy day for them. Lots of folks stoppin' by after church I guess. We talked and ate for at least an hour or so and had a great time.

Turns out Jerry and I had a lot in common, and will probably try to get together again. I think he's the kind of guy I could sit and talk music and computers with for hours and not get tired.

I've had a great time meeting the few bloggers that I've met so far. They've all turned out to be pretty cool. I told Jerry I think I have closer friends through blogging than I've ever had in my daily life. Of course, you tell anyone else you're gonna go meet a blogger off the Internet and they act like you're crazy, like you' might end up with your head in a freezer, not to mention your virtue being in grave danger. Well, I guess other folks just don't get it, and probably never will. Anyway, I'm big enough to take care of myself, and anyone who wants to threaten my virtue should just say so and step up. You'll probably need to bring a gun to keep Denise at bay, but it's your funeral.

Anyway, it was a fun time. I hope we get a chance to do it again.

After lunch I went over to the folks house to surprise my mom. Monday is her 80th birthday. I have to work till 7PM, so we probably won't be able to get together. I'll work on it, but it's hard to get them out of the house after 6:30 or so, understandably.

Last weekend, on the stop through Llano on the way to Fredericksburg, we stopped in a few antique stores. I picked up some nice old silver candle holders with etched glass bowls. They were reasonably priced, and very pretty. Right up her alley. I actually got them for myself, but while I was paying for them it hit me that they'd be perfect for mom. Worked out great.

I stopped at the grocery store to get a few cards, a smelly candle and some Worther's candies (her favorites), and went over and sprung it all one her. She was surprised and happy. I love that woman to death. She's my sweetheart.

My other sweetheart is comin' back into town tonight from Kentucky, so I'll be pickin' her up at the airport late tonight and bringin' her back here for a lengthy reunion. I've missed her a lot. I used to be happy here by myself. Told myself I was better off that way, but it was all bullshit. I told myself that to make the loneliness less painful. I've gotten used to havin' someone around now, so the loneliness of her absence makes the emptiness of this place that much more noticeable. I've never felt this way about anyone before. I guess I'm finally growing up, at the ripe old age of 47. I've wasted a lot of my life being an idiot, and the price I'm paying now for that is huge.

I was in the store today getting new windshield wipers for the car. The rain always reminds me how worn out the old ones were. Anyway, I was standing in line behind a young woman with her baby in the carrier propped up on the grocery basket. The kid was looking up at me as if to say "What the hell is THAT!", so I started smiling and making faces at the little critter. He smiled back, grinning and giggling. I kept it up till it was my turn at the checkout, and then they rolled off somewhere and I turned to the business at hand.

Every so often now it hits me that I'll never have kids, and that I'll never have grand kids. I wasted all the time when I was supposed to be doing those things being an idiot. I didn't mind it then. I told myself I didn't want children, but the truth was that I felt and told myself that no decent woman would have me. Now, after the changes that have taken place in my life this last year, the possibilities that I ignored because they always seemed out of reach are just beginning to come into focus, but it feels like it's too late. I see young couples at the grocery store, laughing and playing with their little kids, and sometimes I almost burst into tears. People who love me tell me it's not too late, but who the hell wants to be driven to the high school prom by a dad who's dottering around in his 70s, I mean, other than Hugh Hefner's kids. Fuck, he could adopt me now.

Anyway, everyone's got some shit they have to deal with, and that's mine. I hope I didn't harsh your mellow on this chilly Sunday night. Take care of yourselves. You all mean the world to me. Cheers.

12 comments:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Okay, I don't want to hear that bullshit..."I'm too old to have kids!"

What about that little 10 year old boy/girl out there that needs a daddy that will love them, teach them how to pitch a tent, paddle a canoe, hike to the rim of a mountain and watch a sunset, or down in a canyon to sit and listen to the white water rush on by? You have a lot to offer dude and to not do that is a whole lot sadder than never having had your own.

You see the progress you have made? Think of the progress you can make watching a some kid's smile around a campfire, back from slow moving water, or back at you as you fix'em pancakes in the morning. So much more life FHB...so much to offer.

Love you my brother.

Oh yeah...word to mother!

Christina RN LMT said...

Mushy beat me to it!
He's like that.

Tell your mother Happy Birthday from one of your not-so-dangerous blogger friends!

H2o said...

I had the pleasure of meeting Jerry back in May at the blog meet. He is a sweetheart!
Tell your mom Happy Birthday for me!

BRUNO said...

Yeah, I'll bet you WOULD make some good head-cheese! But I bet your old, tough ham-hocks wouldn't even make a good stew for your Chinese "Chicken-General Ho's" place to sell...!

J said...

You mean the world to us, too. It is never too late. Back when you thought you would 'never' have kids, now you say it's too late. Never say never, my friend. Any child would be lucky to have you as a father. You would be a great dad. I'm sure of it.

(I'm back now. Time to play catch up.)

Chuck said...

Your Mom and I share the same birthday. How cool! Go 11/26!!

I know Jerry, well not literally, but he's commented a few times. I thought he was a pretty nice guy. Good to hear y'all got to get together!

FHB said...

Mushy - You're right man, as usual. Jesus, I'm a whiny bitch sometimes. Sorry. I guess I spend too much time thinkin' the glass is half empty, and it blinds me to what's good. I'm glad you're there to set me strait. You're the big brother I've always needed to slap me around and tell me to snap out of it. You're absolutely right.

And I'll give Mom a hug from you. You do the same the next time you see yours.

Christina - You too. I appreciate it a lot.

H2O - Yea, he said he'd met you. He said the blogger meeting was cool. Made me want to go to one.

Bruno - I don't know what the hell that means, but it sounds rude. Just for that, the next post has your name on it.

J - That means a lot to me. Thanks.

Chuck - Weird how that works ain't it? Yep, it was fun.

Diva said...

Me & T are working on creating a bun in the oven (He's 45 and I'm 37). I think we're both finally all growed up and ready to have a critter together. We will be able to offer said critter much more that we could have when we were both younger (and wilder).

I don't listen to the biological or sociological clock, daddy-o.

I vote you do what you need to do to be extremely happy!! You have a wonderful lady now and so much to look forward to!!

Cheers!

FHB said...

Diva - That sounds great. I hope it all works out for ya. I know you'll make it work. I'm with you on the age thing. I'm not too old to have a kid, but the woman I love has already had two and is a grandmother already. So it's out of the picture. I'm workin' my way through it, tryin' to keep her from blaming herself and thinking she's cheating me out of something. It's my decision to stay where I am. It just hits me now and then, but I'll get over it. Best of luck to you and yours.

BRUNO said...

Comes from your opening line, dude---"---afraid somebody will find your head in the freezer."

That, coupled with AGING, made me think, "old, smelly, strong cheese."

Rude? Naw, that handle belongs to another blogger from the past! Me? I'm just unfeeling, and inconsiderate!

Nope, I'd hate to think how I could possibly raise a child to survive in this cesspool of a world we live in today...

Jerry in Texas said...

FHB,
I'm in Houston...finally. And I'm unpacked. I'm actually at work tonight and reading my backlog of e-mails.

I'm so glad we met for lunch. It always helps to put a face and voice with the blogger. You're a tall SOB. I felt like a midget next to you! I know what you mean about going to meet bloggers. I figure no one's freezer is big enough to house my big melon.

We'll have to do it again while I'm down here in Tejas!!

Happy 80th to your Mom!

Unknown said...

Awwww...your post gave me goosebumps (yes, yes, I'm a woman!). I'm so happy for you and Denise. It really says something that she's able to get you to start thinking about those possibilities that you had closed off before.

I think it's easier to become friends with bloggers as adults b/c we seem to share more on our blogs than we do just talking to people that we meet nowadays -- or at least I do. My closest friends are still the ones that I met in college and younger, rather than as an adult. We're just more closed off now, I think.