Friday, November 23, 2007

Mom put on a good feed for Thanksgiving.

I picked up my sis and we made it over to the folks place just in time for the goods to be distributed. I thought mom was gonna avoid the trouble of cooking a turkey and just cook chicken this year, along with a ham. But when I got there I found, to me delight, a turkey AND a ham. Boy, was it all good.



The big pan on the right has gravy in it, and the small one on the left has English peas. The pan on the far left has fruit salad, and then there's another pan off camera that had little baby taters, slathered in sauce and cheese.



When I got there, mom gave me this sheepish look and said she thought she'd ruined the dressing this year. I said "What the hell?", and then assured her that she was probably overreacting as usual. She never likes the stuff she cooks. It's a routine we have. She tells us how bad it is and then we tell her she's nuts. She's a perfectionist, as any artist would be, and believe me, she's an artist in the kitchen.

She told me that she'd mistakenly used the wrong kind of beef broth this time. I started to worry that she might be telling the truth this time. Then she said that she'd mistakenly used beef broth with garlic in it. My eyes lit up and I told her that it sounded great. I love that stuff. Sure enough, she did a great job. The dressing was a little dry, but once you loaded it up with gravy, and once I piled the peas on it, as I always do, it was great as usual.



This was just my first plate. The leftovers will be killed off this Saturday night, after letting the flavors mingle a bit in the fridge. Well, I hope all of you had as good a time. Cheers.

3 comments:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

What a plate!

I held myself to one plate this year and small samples of dessert...I'm tired of that sick felling!

Come the new year...I'm going to get down to my fightin' weight...whatever that it!

Love you my friend...Happy Thanksgiving to your family.

H2o said...

Oh that looks good. I'm glad I'm not the only one who eats their food like that.
Hope you had a Happy Turkey day.

Christo Gonzales said...

beef broth with garlic....thats a mistake I can live with