Monday, November 26, 2007

Here's a Brunoesque post for ya. Lots of stuff. See if you recognise anything.

First off, David over on the other side, where the water in the camodes goes the other way around, wants some scatological details from everyone. Check him out. The answer is yes. I take great pleasure in flushing while on the phone, particularly while talking to my sister. It freaks her out, and I've been getting pleasure freaking her out most of my life. Something to do.

Anyway, I guess you could say I've been accumulating stuff all my life. Click on these to see them up close.



I started doing that as a kid, picking up stuff from the countries we lived in or visited, mimicking what I saw my folks doing.


When we went to Europe in '70, my mom bought stuff all over the place. About a week after we got back, these boxes arrived from Italy and it was like Christmas. All sorts of cool stuff. They've still got most of it.


My room in the house was filled with postcards and banners from places in Germany and Italy. I had stacks of comics and a set of encyclopedias that usually could be found strewn about the floor next to my bed.


I made those things on the left. They work too.

So does the stuff in the case above.







Of course, my taste in stuff has gotten a bit more expensive as I've grown up. Also, I've gathered a lot of books, music and pictures that trace the range of my interests, witch are varied.


I guess you can see I'm into Indians and their gear. In general, people in history who lived their lives fully fascinate me. You can't say Indians ever did anything half assed.



I've developed an interest in guns, but I've always had a thing for weapons of all kinds. I guess a shrink might have something to say about that. You grow up feeling weak, so as an adult you surround yourself with weapons.

Hell, I just think they're cool. I grew up in a time when fast cars, large breasted women and guns ruled popular culture... So guess in what direction my interests evolved? Not too mysterious, but people who don't like weapons will always need to explain what they don't understand. Usually they characterize folks like me in a way that makes us seem weird and dysfunctional. Fuck them. They just don't get it.


I used to build models as a kid, and still have a few layin' around here.

I've been around the world a few times, boating with the Navy, and you can see some evidence of that.








Lots of books. And lots of dust. Jesus, I need to dust this stuff. Back when I was in high school I got really good at building models.






You can't tell it from these pictures, but these dudes in the early panzer 4 have eyes and hair, and medals painted on their uniforms. Lets just say I was spending WAY too much time alone in my room. Not a lot of girls in my life back then, but I could explain the differences between all these tanks in detail.


Yep...

One word...

NERD!









It's amazing to me that these things have stayed in tact, having been moved around the way they have.

Of course, there are hands and hats missing from some of these figures. Nothing gets away unscathed.



I carried this dude home from Kenya, in my luggage, after a particularly cool trip with the Navy.


He's my buddy. I've lugged him around the world. He represents power and dignity, both in the animal and the guy who carved him. Some dude carved him from a big piece of something that grew in the woods outside his village. That bastard is an artist.

13 comments:

J said...

Man have you got a collection. You stuff is so damn cool though. It looks as if we have books in common. Don't you ever get rid of any of those books before you tell me, I wouldn't mind running through those titles sometime.

Anyways, my other favorites are the elephant, which is gorgeous. Also, believe it or not, I love your poster for The Sound. It's a nice reminder that at one point in time in this world, a woman was appreciated for what she had, not what she didn't. Kudos.

Hope your day goes well.

Sarge Charlie said...

Nope, not NERD, way cool stuff.

GUYK said...

NICE! If I had kept all the stuff that I bought in my travels around this earth I would have to have a B 52 aircraft hanger to store it in..I do wish now that I had kept all the guns that I have bought or traded for over the years..they would damn sure fill up a couple of gun closets..

Diva said...

You have some seriously cool stuff collected.
Feel free to donate the elephant to me to go with my collection.

=)

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Dude...with the recent purchase, you just have to get a gun safe! That is such an open invitation for the local hoods to rip you off.

Love all the memorabilia, especially the tanks and Indian things.

FHB said...

J - Thanks. Yep, the poster is a favorite. I got that thinking that when I had my own place it would go up in a prominant place. I intend to get it framed some day.

Sarge - Thanks. OK, not a nerd.

Guy - Dude, this is just a fraction of the crap I've got. My folks attic is full to busting. I'd love to see all the guns that have passed through your hands. That would be cool.

Diva - OOOoh no. That dude is stayin' with me. We went through a lot together.

Mushy - Yea, I hear ya. I know the one I want and will get one soon. There's a place that makes them in Waco. It'll be a big one.

H2o said...

Far from being a nerd.

BRUNO said...

Damn, how could ya' hide these from us for so long? And, yeah, I like the elly, too! How did you manage to let customs slip that one through? Or did you bypass such, with the blessings of the Navy???

PRH said...

My basement if full of stuff like that...from my GG-Grandfather's early 1900 Ohio Hunting Licenses, to my Grandmother's salt and pepper and post card collections that span 100 years.....the family were pack rat's when it came to items.....and now they belong to me, for better or worse.

Lin said...

What great STUFF! And I thought I was a pack rat but you win.
Fabulous helm but I'm wondering what that one thing on the wall is - kind of looks like a high power badger since it appears to have some huge rounds sticking out of its muzzle.

Christina RN LMT said...

Hey, don't worry about the dust...it just makes the tanks look more authentic!

Outstanding collection, my mom would've fought you for the elephant, she had a HUGE herd of them.

Kevin said...

I'm really digging the models, FHB. I used to make model planes and hang them from my ceiling with thread in dogfight poses. I also had a HUGE collection of Airfix/Matchbox/Esci 1:76 soldiers, about 6,000, units from Roman times to WWII. Brothers in geekdom, my man.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

fhb: do you realize that those big breasted women, when they get older, well, you know those things get longer and emptier, right? and if they have tattoos, well, never mind...

smiles, bee