Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Went up to Gatesville Sunday to pick up my newest toy.

My buddy Dave (not the same Dave from the chili cook-offs) teaches Geology on the base and lives up in Gatesville. He's a Civil War/Mexian War reenactor, and was off on a trip to reenact something Friday and Saturday. He drove home Sunday and was still in his gear and cleaning his musket when I got up there.



I asked him if that was his getup, and he replied "Only when I'm bein' a target." He's kinda unreconstructed, so every once and a while I give him a jolt by referring to the war as the "War of the Rebellion". He'll say "Hey!", and I'll giggle.

Anyway, he's a life member of the Texas State Rifle association, and has access to the CMP. He ordered me a new M-1 Garand a while back, and it came in last week. He called me Wednesday at about noon, in the middle of one of my classes (not knowing I was teaching). He was all excited, tellin' me he was openin' up the box. I called him back later and he was gushing with praises of the rifle, joking, tellin' me he wished he hadn't already told me the serial number.



Here's a proud new pappy. It's a Springfield Garand, made in the mid-1950s, after the Korean War. It's in excellent condition, and shows minimal wear and tear. I payed $618.00, but he swears it's worth at least a grand.



Mine is on the right, and Dave's is on the left. Now I need a sling and bayonet.



He showed me how to take it apart and we were both very happy with the condition of the action. The green tint is great, and the wood is beautiful. There are two stamps on the wood. One showing the Springfield Armory inspection, and then a "P" showing it was refurbished once and stored away (I think). Dave's has two of these "P" stamps. Anyone out there knowing anything about that, feel free to tell me all about it.



Here's the trigger group...



And here's the action. Nice green tint, all over.



Here's that "P" stamp I was talking about.



Here's the hinged butt plate. Now I need to find the stuff that goes in there.



We went out to his back 40 and shot a few rounds. Here's Dave shooting his rifle...



And me shooting mine. You can't see her here, but Red, Dave's dog, was keeping a fair distance away.



This was a at about 50 yards, off hand. I should have taken my bench rest up there but didn't next time. I was satisfied. I've always wanted one of these, so I'm as happy as I could be. Now he's gonna order me a Winchester M-1 carbine, but he's tellin' me not to hope that it will be in this kind of shape. hell, it's all good. Later. Cheers.

Postcript: Ok, I got the word that that "P" stamp is the proof stamp, showing that the rifle was tested and approved. The fact that the stock has only one stamp ether means it was only proofed once and then set aside, or that they changed the stock and then proofed it once. Dave seems to be convinced that it's the original stock, so it looks like it's basically in original condition. He says that the trigger group is not original, but the barrel is. Anyway, I'm happy. That's all that matters.

16 comments:

Jerry in Texas said...

Have a Garand old time with your new rifle.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Ain't it purdy! I bet it smells good too!

I hate to tell you what I paid for mine, but I'm considerably older than you too. The truth...$145 from the CMP - must have been in the 80's.

However, I'll trade you anytime you want!

FHB said...

Jerry - I will. Thanks.

Mushy - Yea, you told me before. Oh well, everything goes up. Dave paid about $65 for his back in the '70s. What can ya do? I do love it though. Glad I got to watch you take yours apart and clean it. Helps now.

Chuck said...

Nice new toy you got there!

david mcmahon said...

You really did show us your, er, butt!!

First time I ever read about the Garand was in Audie Murphy's book `To Hell And Back'.

I'd love to know what wood it is. Any idea?

david mcmahon said...

Forgot to say - your buddy Dave reckons the Garand's worth a Garand, sorry, grand????

!!!!!!

Sarge Charlie said...

The M-1 is the best weapon I ever fired, you can get a kill at 300 meters every shot, once the sights are set up. I am stealing the top photo for my post tomorrow........

GUYK said...

I want one!

Good luck on the M1 carbine..one in decent shape may be hard to find. The last one I saw you could put in a vice and couldn't get a six inch group at 100 yards..wore out.

Anonymous said...

Boys and their toys, huh? Used the M-1 to qualify with in boot camp in '57. Never fired another round after that. Was on the boat a bunch of times when we fired torpedoes though. But not in the torpedo rooms.

Alex L said...

Now your getting me excited aswell, the carbines a semi auto isnt it. More than slightly jealous

PRH said...

Excellent.....Have a great Thanksgiving FHB...........

FHB said...

Thanks guys, I do loves it.

Sarge - No problem man. Dave's a star now.

GuyK - Yea, Dave's tellin' me not to be hopin' that the carbine will turn out this purdy, but I'll be happy anyway.

Myron - Huh? You mean you fired torpedoes in the tubes, or is that slang for gettin' loaded on home made hooch?

Pope - This Garand is a semi auto, and the carbine will be too. Most of my stuff is semi auto, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Yep, shot 'em right outta the tubes.

FHB said...

Dude, that's cool as hell. Would love to experience that.

Kevin said...

Beautiful, man. I'd dearly love to snatch one up for $600 or so. Looks to be in great shape. Thanks for posting the photos.

NotClauswitz said...

The wood should be walnut, and the metal is perfect and the wood looks really nice , way better than what came on mine - but now mine's in a Boyd's stock and glass-bedded. With a little practice you can do a lot better offhand at 50yds, just gotta get used to the wobble and squeeze.