Monday, November 05, 2007

We're back...

And in one piece, for the most part. I'm busy as hell with classes and tryin' to cull these 750ish shots I took into somethin' resemblin' a good representation of the trip. They'll be on FlickR one day, but it's gonna be a while, so bare with. Here's a few teasers.

First, I got to try a new kind of German Vodka out there in the desert. A guy in another camp who cooks for the German Air Force at a base in Nevada had some and shared it around. Said the Krauts were swillin' it like it was water, than puking their guts up and goin' to work the next day.



It's called Kleiner Feigling. It's smooth as shit. Fig flavored. I was shocked to find out, getting home and Googling it, that it's only 20% alcohol (40 proof). No wonder it went down so easily. I'm gonna try to get some if I can.

The drive out to West Texas on I-10 was pleasant. I love the desert. Something about this place is really Texas to me.



The oil pumps pumpin', and the scrub that looks like it's got to hold at least one rattler per square yard. I love it. As I drive along, my mind conjures up images of Comanches, Apaches, and huge herds of antelope and Buffalo out here. Knowing that they're no longer roaming free leaves the landscape feeling empty, but I love it anyway.The modern world is creepin' up on the old times, as it always has.



You see these windmills generatin' electricity as you get further out West, where there's nothin' to stop the wind. The old water pumping windmills just look on in wonder, as time passes them by. They still serve a valuable function out here though, where the hot climate means a lack of water can easily be fatal to cattle and other critters much of the year. We saw many tanks with these old geezers workin', still pumpin' life deep out of the land.



The scenery is beautiful.



There's still hard folks out here, who make their livin' out in the scrub and know how to play. Real cowboys. These guys work hard, get up early to start cookin' and then party till late. Me?



Sheeeiiit! When it gets hot this city boy knows how to find some cool shade and take a nap.

Ok. I'll have more pictures and crud later. Gotta go back to work. Cheers.

11 comments:

Les Becker said...

Driving through the desert is one of the things high up on my Great Escape list (won't be long now - jumping up and down in excitement). I will have to stop by your place for a Vodka toast along the route.

PS - by the looks, those windmills are exactly like the ones my sibs were nearly arrested over sneaking up close to...

none said...

Driving out that way through FT stockton and on through Pecos is a bleak and lonely trek. Its hard to see how anything can live out there.

Those windmills are huge I was amazed when I saw someone standing next to them for perspective.

FHB said...

Les - Any time. I'll serve it up when you get here.

Hammer - Yea. I saw one blade on the back of a flatbed truck once out there and it was HUGE. Of course, now folks are pissed because they supposedly kill hawks and eagles. Can't win for losin'.

Jerry in Texas said...

FHB,
Great pics. Hell, I think even I could sleep in that truckbed tent. With enough vodka in me, that is.

I've never been to west or southern Texas. Looks peaceful.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Wow, sounds like some shooter stuff I need!

Whose truck and bed camper is that?

Can't wait to see more titty shots!

Glad you are back - safe.

BRUNO said...

Fig-flavored vodka? I'm afraid I'll have to pass on that!

They've got those wind-generators as far east as northeastern Missouri, at the present time. And you're right---you can't appreciate how HUGE they are until you see ONE BLADE on the back of a flatbed! Actually, the ones in MO. had to be trucked-in on a custom articulating rig, of some sort---think they were about 80-ft long.

FHB said...

Jerry - It is very comfortable, or so my buddy Dave says. He sleeps on a queen sized air bed, and several blankets. We do this shit right. You need to head out. We'll do it up.

Mushy - That's Dave's truck tent. It's cool as hell, and makes me want to get a truck just to have one. Trouble is, when you want to drive somewhere you have to take it all down. Not cool. Thing is, no trees out here for your hammock, tent, thingy. You be on the ground with me and the rattlers.

Anonymous said...

I miss the desert. Never thought I'd like it until I spent some time out in it after I started pipelining. Even bought a 4 wheel Toyota to enjoy the desert and mountains in while I lived in SoCal.

Christo Gonzales said...

where are the rattler mc nuggets...what...you didnt cook up any snake?

PRH said...

Everytime I take a RV westward, especially across the mountains, I see more and more "windmills"...they seem to be in vogue out your way, and across the Great Divide area......hopefully this technology will ease the energy crisis somewhat....every new, non polluting idea helps.

FHB said...

Myron - Sounds cool, 4 wheelin' out there.

Doggy - No man, that stuff happens at Sweetwater, in the spring. No snake at Terlingua, unless they slip it in.

Pat - I like them, but you hear stories about them not being very efficient power generators. Every little bit helps though, as you said.