Friday, November 09, 2007

Friday stuff, and some cool pictures.

Takin' a little break from the series of Terlingua posts to talk about what's been goin' on this week, and then some normal Friday crud.

The last three Terlingua posts covered gettin' there and settin' up camp, so the next one will probably deal with drinkin' and eatin', the live bands each night, and goin' to see DOM. Eventually there'll be another one dealin' with my brief visit to the other chili cook-off down the road, and seein' the hoochie mamas. Guys, hold it together. It won't be long now. Thing is, I haven't had time to cull out and fix all those pictures yet, so it'll have to wait a bit. Plus, I've got Chinese food with Dad, Friday night football, and then two days and nights at Enchanted Rock and Fredericksburg this weekend to take pictures of. God knows when we'll get a chance to go over those pictures, but you'll see them too. Next week some time, I promise you.

First off, last Tuesday night I wrapped up the lectures and reviewed both my 4:45 and 7:30 evening Government classes for their first exams, which they took Thursday night. I took the opportunity of the exams to try to ketch up on a few blogs. I've found that the way this semester is going, as ridiculously busy as I am, I have more time there at work to read blogs and post things than I do at home. I went home Thursday for the hour that I have between my afternoon classes and these evening classes and just had enough time to fix a few pictures and upload them so I could later ad this text on the computer in class. Rat race, I wanna tell ya.


Here's a picture from the Razor of my desk last Tuesday night when my 7:30 class was getting their review. Those folks didn't want to miss anything. Cracked me up, so I took a picture. I tell ya, I should get a cut from the PX or Best Buy for all the recorders I've sold in the last thirteen years.

I've never had an issue with students recording my lecture. I know some teachers do, but I couldn't care a less. Whatever the kids need to do to succeed, without cheating, is cool with me. Hell, people have been recording me for so long now, there should be sets of tapes out there for sale. you can see a few older mini cassette recorders there, but now these little digital recorders hold something like two hundred hours worth of recordings, which is more than a semesters worth of class time. The newest thing is for students to bring their laptops in and take notes that way. I had a soldier bring one in once, pull up the screen, flip it over and down like a notebook and start writing notes on the screen with a stylus. The technology mazes me. Had a girl video record me once with her laptop. I told her if any of it ended up on YouTube she'd be in trouble. Hell, I'd a laughed my ass off if it had. It'd be hilarious. Anyway, I thought the picture was funny. You could smell the panic in the air.


I was zippin' down 195 Wednesday morning to get to my morning classes in Florence, wolfin' down what's become my regular breakfast these days (two corn dogs and a diet Mtn. Dew), when I pulled over and got a few cool sunrise shots. The weather has been cool and cloudy this week, so it made for interesting effects. They turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself.



This one is probably my favorite. Wednesday night was pool night. Denise and I met up after work at about 7pm and headed over to the hall, but along the way me made a few stops. I had to gas up the wheels at Wall Mart, and I wanted to stop at a cool liquor store near there to see if they had any of that German Vodka I told you about maybe three posts ago. They didn't, but they took down my number and said they'd see if they could order it. I'll go over to the Class-Six on base Friday afternoon and see if they have it. I'll hunt it down one way or the other. Shit was GOOD.

I lost to a better player Wednesday night, but had a good time and enjoyed myself anyway. I've developed an "I don't really give a shit" attitude about it all, refusing to care if I win or lose, and just enjoying the company, the relaxing time, a good cigar or two, and a few mugs of good spirits. It's a nice break in the middle of the week. I had a good time. Hell, lets face it, I got soused. I hadn't eaten anything that day (that is, after the two corn dogs at the butt crack of dawn), so those three big mugs of Amber Bock went strait to my head. I gave my keys to Denise and she drove us home. Of course, she'd had three or four Seven & Seven's, so I don't really know who was more loaded. After we got to my place I nuked some leftover Shepherd's Pie that she'd cooked the night before, and the buzz went away in no time. Good to go.


Here's a similar sunset view from Thursday morning, also heading South on 195. It's not as spectacular, but I like it. Denise woke me up that morning with cards and a few presents, surprisin' the hell out of me. Thursday was our birthday. We share the same day, eight years apart. Cool eh? Handy as hell too. After classes in Florence I went home in a hurry and cooked her some of the little treats I like to make, baking ham and cheese and hot honey mustard in rolled up garlic croissants. She loves 'em. I went to the local grocery store and got cards, flowers and some chocolate truffles, and took it all over to her office on the way to my lunch time classes. She liked it. I got to the base and was about 5 minutes late to class, but it was well worth it to see the look on her face. She makes me feel good, almost like a real grownup for the first time in my life, and has enriched my life in ways that I once thought I'd never be able to experience. Happy birthday baby.


When I was zippin', and I do mean zippin', over to the campus on base after seein' Denise, I rolled up on a really cool birthday surprise. I had to stop and get a few pictures, even if it meant I was gonna be even later to work.



This is the "tank" version of the Stryker armored vehicle. I've seen pictures of these things on the web, but I'd never seen one in real life. It was chained down to a flat bed and was there by the side of the road, in a part of the base where vehicles are prepped for transport by train or truck. It has the body of the Stryker armored car, which some of you have probably seen in pictures from Iraq, and a turret with a 105 mm gun. It's supposed to provide us with the capacity to inject rapid deployment forces into a hot spot somewhere with enough firepower to go up against the sort of armor you see the average local 3rd world forces toting around... You know, like a T-55. It doesn't have the armor to go up against a T-55 head on, but it's supposed to hold the ground till they can plink the fuzzies with smart bombs or fly in some M-1s. Anyway, that was the last idea I heard. Hell, so far as I know, they may have canned it and be sending it here to set it up in one of the museums. I'll keep ya posted.

So, after my 7:30 class finished their exam, I called Denise and we headed out to a nice dinner at the Texas Roadhouse. When we got there, Denise asked me if I'd gotten the same card on purpose. I was surprised and puzzled. It turns out she'd gotten my birthday card at Wal Mart last Monday. When she woke me up at about 6:30 and shoved presents and cards at me, I'd given the card a cursory look in the fog of waking up. Four hours later, when I went to HEB in a mad dash to find something good but not too sappy, I managed to find the exact same card. What the hell are the odds of that? We had a good laugh about it. The burgers and rolls were great. I had two tall Killian's, and Denise had a Lager Shandy. We laughed a lot, and had a great time.



After dinner, we went to a local book store to browse magazines and ended up wandering into the isle filled with sex manuals. I was leafin' through them and thinkin' out loud, sayin' things like, "Baby, all these people are skinny. Where the hell are the sex books for fat old bastards?" She almost wet herself. After that we went to the grocery store for batteries and booze, and then we went back over to my place and shared the aforementioned booze and a slice of chocolate cake. Mom had picked up the cake and dropped it and a few cards off at my house in afternoon, while I was in class. It was a fun evening.

Today I taught my five regular daily classes and then visited with some friends for a bit. After that I went to the Class-Six on base, but they didn't have that brand of Vodka. I put in a request to see if they can order it. We'll see. Now I'm relaxing for a few hours at home before I head over to get dad and take him to do our normal Friday stuff. He missed it when I was in Terlingua last week, so he's really rarin' to go. It'll be fun to hang with him again tonight.

Saturday morning, Denise and I will head South to camp out for two nights at Enchanted Rock State Natural Area, near the beautiful town of Fredericksburg. I have some friends who go there every year at about this time. It's always fun, and a bit more civilized than Terlingua. They have showers and all the amenities of modern life right there on site. Denise should have a much easier time. I'll be right at home. This time she won't have to wear my floppy hat to hide her morning hair. It's a strange experience, waking up and seeing Rod Stewart's '70s perm on the pillow next to me. Unsettling.

Anyway, they have showers, flush toilets, and electric outlets for the curling iron right across the road from the camp sites, so she should be set up nicely. We'll probably drive down to eat in Fredericksburg at least one night, and stroll the main street there. It's very pretty little German town, with a Lutheran cathedral and lots of cool shops and places to enjoy adult beverages. I'll take pictures, but then you knew that, didn't you?

Well, take care and enjoy your weekend. I know I'll enjoy mine. Cheers.

14 comments:

Becky said...

Awww, that last picture is sweet:) Strangely,not all of the pictures showed up on my machine, but I did see the first sunset. One thin that's amazing about a Texas sunset is how far out you can see it. It just seems "bigger" than in other places I've lived.

I can't imagine going to class and taking notes via laptop -- it would've been so much easier when I was in school and had to take handwritten notes.

PRH said...

"2 Corns Dogs and a Diet Mt Dew" Sorry bud...that's all the farther I could get....and with Thanksgiving less than 2 weeks away.....

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

The trouble with these long post is that I forget what I wanted to comment on...oh, well,makes you read them twice I suppose!

Anyway, when my computer crashed I had also lost birthdays, so I guess the 8th is the day - right? Happy belated dude!

Love the recorder shot...looks like a press conference!

If you ever find "the sex books for fat old bastards" send Judy and I a copy!

BRUNO said...

Why didn't I get a "sex-manual" with my wife?

Shit, there might be all sorts of options available on her model that I didn't know about!

Guess I'll have to do her, the same way I did my "hearse", with the "moon-roof"---just push a few extra buttons, and see what happens....!

Anonymous said...

FHB,
I went to F'burg on my way to Kerrville in May. Nice town.

Happy Birthday to the two of you. Same day and same card, huh? Wow. Good karma.

FHB said...

Becky - SHIT! Yep, I just opened it up in Firefox and most of the pictures are gone. I'll redo it.

Pat - Yea, I know. It's not the healthiest life style. I'm a bad boy.

Mushy - Sorry it went long man. Just had a lot of shit to cover. It's like three posts in one. And don't sweat the birthday. We didn't tell anyone, and caught hell today when a few found out. Just didn't want any fuss.

And if I find that book, I'll send it. I'll try not to get the pages stuck together.

Bruno - Dude, it's just the same isn't it. Endless magical discovery. "Oh shit, you mean when I rub this your hatch pops open? Cool!"

Jerry - It's a beautiful town. Can't wait to get her out there and let her experience it.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm late to the party as usual. Oh well, happy birthday to you both. Batteries and booze, huh? And what were the batteries for and did it take the booze to help set the mood? Booze and chocolate cake. Now that sounds pretty good.

And the recorders reminded me of the American History teacher I had in JC way back before recorders were smaller than a berad box. That woman talked so fast....A friend who was in one of her classes claimed he dropped his pencil and missed half of the American Revolution.

phlegmfatale said...

hee hee - maybe you need to make the first sex manual for old fat bastards? Cute pic of you and Denise. Have fun at Enchanted Rock - I've got to get down there one of these days - it looks really cool.

H2o said...

I hope the both of you have a healthy happy year ahead!

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Denise and you really seem to have a good thing going together, and that card incident is amazing, what with you both sharing the same birthday, and all! Seems like life is very hectic for you, but immensley satisfying too. Happy belated birthday to the both of you, sounds like you had a great time. Love the pictures.

Diva said...

Awwww. So, so sweet!!!

Lin said...

I'm with Mushy - by the time I got to the end of this post I forgot all the stuff I wanted to comment on - it's a dotage thing, FHB.
A belated Happy Birthday to you both!

FHB said...

Myron - The thing with the batteries had Denise laughing. She told me when I wrote that that folks were gonna think we were kinky. They were for a garage door opener. The booze was a nice bottle of wine, which we killed that night. And I've been told that I talk fast too. Sometimes I play spider solitaire on the computer in class to slow myself down.

Phlemmy - You're welcome to join us down there any time. It's an amazing place. And I like that picture too. She's a bit timid, where cameras are concerned, but I'm workin' on it.

H20 - Thanks. We're workin' on it.

Shrinkie - Thanks babe. Things are goin' well now.

Diva - Thanks, and thanks for comin' by.

Lin - Hey big sis, yea, I know it was long. I'll try to post shorter, but more often. I just don't get the time to post things these days, so when I do, it tends to go long. Sorry.

phlegmfatale said...

She's lovely, and I can understand why you'd want to show her off.