Saturday, September 29, 2007

Academy vs. Salado

Found out about this match up this morning in Florence. Asked the kids who they were gonna play and who Academy was gonna play. The Florence kids were pretty confident that they'd beat Rosebud, and that Academy would get thoroughly stomped by Salado. The little twerps turned out to be pretty prescient.

Dad and I did our regular dinner thing at about 6pm. The food was a bit off today. Didn't enjoy it like I usually do. Seemed like the chicken had been sitting there for a while. It was good, but not as good as usual. Had a big bowl of mandarin oranges for dessert. Love them things.

After that, Dad and I headed to Academy, only to find out that the game was gonna be played at Salado. No problem. Just a short drive through the country to get there. Of course, by the time we got there the place was packed. There must have been a few thousand people at this one. I left dad off at the gate and then had to drive a half mile back towards town to park. Got up to the gate and realized I'd left the camera in the car. FUCK! So I got dad up into the stands and went back to the car, so I could document this drama for you guys. See what I go through? It's all about you. Feel the love.



Actually, I don't know why I bother. I took about fifty pictures of this friggin' game, and only about a half dozen came out clear. I even had a railing to steady the camera on. Makes me want to just toss it against a wall. Won't be defeated though. There's got to be a trick to it.



Tonight we were sitting on the visiting side of the field out at Salado, with the Eagles fans in red on the other side. The stands were just packed. I've never seen it so crowded. When we first moved down here in 1994, we used to regularly sit on the other side of the field, with my dad's older brother Sam and his family. My cousins son was in school at Salado and played on the team. I actually went to my first high school football game here. Never went when I was actually in high school. Learned to enjoy it. It's hilarious how much fun these games are. Now that I've gotten used to going to the games in Academy, I've gotten to where I recognize people and feel like it's home. It's like a small taste of a different, more familiar and stable life that I always used to long for, back when we were moving all over the place and I was always the new kid.



At half time the score was about 14 to zip, with Salado ruling the home roost. Academy's band came out and faced the home stands, and wowed them with some hot Latin numbers. Then the Salado cheerleaders went out and did an amazing little hoochie mama dance that made me wish I had a video camera in stead of this piece of crap. Me thinks the girls have been watchin' too much BET.



It was at this point that I tried for an artsy fartsy shot, noticing all the bugs flitting around the flood lights. Now, you tell me. This shot was taken with the camera on "Night Scenery" which means the flash was off. I had it propped up on a railing, steadied in my hand. To me, the fact that you get these funny streamer effects from the bugs means that the shutter speed is set too long, making it vary hard to take a shot that isn't blurred. But what the hell do I know? Looks like there was lateral movement too, but I had the friggin' thing steady. Frustrating!



I mean, it looks cool and all, but I get the same effect when I'm takin' pictures of people on the field. Look at that light pole. That's all me. Damn, I must have the shakiest hands in Christendom.



I took about a dozen shots of the snack bar at the other end of the field, which is the meet and greet spot for the whole community. This is the only shot that came out anywhere near good. Same railing, and same camera setting. Oh well, I'll figure it out.



In the end, the score was something like 49 to nothing. Academy kids got beat like red headed step children. Oh well, like me with this camera, there'll be another day.

I took Dad home and visited for a while with Mom, and then headed home to relax. I poured a few bottles of Amber Bock into a chilled glass, and sat down to read and answer emails and finally check out ol' Mushy's Friday music post. Y'all need to check it out, if you don't already. He's graduated from the Blues tutorials that we used to love to posting something very much like his personal party mix. If he continues, we're in for some good shit. I got to listen to some of that stuff on the porch, and it's all good.

Well, I'm gonna meet some friends at a gun show in Belton Saturday afternoon, and then I'm drivin' up to Dallas. I'll try to be there by about 6PM, so my buddy and I can eat something and see a movie. No clue what we'll eat or see. We'll decide off the cuff. I'll spend the night on his couch (huge comfy thing about the size of a twin sized bed), and then drive home some time Sunday afternoon. Need to be here so I can pick Denise up from the Killeen airport at about 9PM.

Well, that's it. You guys try to have a great weekend, and I'll see you here later. Cheers.

P.S. Remember a while back when I went to Dallas to the food show and saw that great Blues/Rock band on the roof at Gator's, in the West End? Well, here's the band that's playin' there Saturday night. looks promisin'. We'll see if my buddy is game for some tunes or not. See ya later.

14 comments:

Alex L said...

I ussually watch the superbowl but i got no idea what that orange lollipop thing is in the bottom pic can you tell me.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i have a great little camera that fits in your pocket and takes great shots. it's a canon powershot 630 and i super love it! it just won't take a bad photo, well unless sarge takes it that is, cause he will cut off your head and there's pretty much nothing the camera can do about that! ha ha ha

smiles, bee

FHB said...

Pope - That's the thing they use to see if the players have gone 10 yards and made a "first down". There are two of them with a chain between them. If they made it past 10 yards, they get to keep the ball and continue, but if they don't they have to turn the ball over to the other team.

Bee - It would be too easy to blame the camera, and I probably will get a smaller one, like you and Mushy have, but I think I just need to learn to hold it steadier, somehow. I mean, a lot of it is the fact that I'm always taking pictures at night with the flash off, and that is difficult anyway. The vast majority of my day time shots come out fine.

FHB said...

Pope - Well anyway, I think that's what the hell that thing is. I dunno.

Sarge Charlie said...

that is some cool photos dude. Oh by the way, bee is full of shit sometimes.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Ah, I always shoot dozens of pic's just to get one good one - 'tis a photographers lot, besides, what are you moaning at? These are fine (especially that bum shot of the players) grin..

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Thanks for the plug my brother!

Does you camera have auto settings like night shots, sports, or anything similar you can try?

However, the shots you posted look great...just need to steady and sometimes, if a guy is running, a blur effect is good.

I don't think the light trails in front of the lights is from shaking...but rather from the delay the camera automatically sets up to compensate for the low light level. The trails are from the light shining off the bugs as they move around while the lens is open trying to get in enough light. The only way you could have caught the bugs would be to use a flash, which would kill the effect you were hoping for.

*Goddess* said...

OMG!! Watch a game WITHOUT a camera?! Unheard of! LOL...I can just see ya rushing back to the car to get it;)

PRH said...

Officiated a early evening Jr High football game on Thursday...the gnats bit the Hell out of us.....BUGS! Who needs them?

Tuyet said...

I don't really get football, but yay!

FHB said...

Sarge - Really? I never would have guessed.

Shrinkie - Yep, I think I'm destined to just take a shit load and cull.

Mushy - Yes it does, and I was using them. I know the streamer effect is ok. I was likin' that. It's the blur in the pole that I was talkin' about. It seems to show side to side motion, when I had the camera steadied on a railing. I guess I didn't have it steady enough. Somethin' I'll just have to work on. Ether that or get a friggin' tripod, or one of those things you strap to a railing. Don't want to go to all that damn trouble though.

Goddess - Hey, I don't see the humor in that! Uh, yea I do.

Pat - Yep, I bet the critters can get tedious out there.

Tuyet - I know. I didn't used to get it ether. It's grown on me as I age. The more you watch, the more it makes sense.

J said...

I'm glad you had a good weekend! I bet it was a little lonely with Denise gone...since now you are used to the comapny. At least it was only the weekend, right?

See you soon!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

The pole could have been moving - wind, stomping in the stands...may not have been the rail!

Ace Jackalope said...

I do more of those "brace the camera against anything stable" shots than I care to admit. One thing that helps is to carry something to put between the camera and convex surfaces (i.e. the side of a pole, the top of a rail). Small beanbags are ideal, but a wadded up piece of cloth or even a bunch of napkins will help. Anything that will kind of mold to the shape of an interface between the camera and the prop surface is good. This is also good for using the edge of a half rolled-down car window for stability. The bugs squiggles look cool, btw. Folks worry too much about technical perfection, I think. One look at the picture says "fall high school football"; to me. You can almost hear them; it's evocative. And poles do move enough, even in a slight wind, to blur a bit